The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   I know i post alot but this is important... (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=9172)

CARLiTO_ 03-06-2003 04:58 PM

I know i post alot but this is important...

My svx pulls to the right like to drive straight, the wheel has to tilt a tiny bit to the right..why is this?

And also there's this knocking sound coming from the font left (driver's side) like a rock fell.....it happens when i press the accelerator and then release..?

svxistentialist 03-07-2003 04:09 AM

Carlito

Pull to the right generally means you have to get the car tracked. It might also mean one or two tyres were below pressure, but they would need to be nearly flat to exert a discernable pull. Get the car 4-wheel laser tracked.

The guy at the tracking centre should also be able to centre your steering wheel, unless something more serious is wrong, like a damaged track rod or ball joint.

Knocking sound could also be damaged suspension joints, or possibly front axle CV joint about to break. Get the tracking done straight away by a skilled shop, then see if the knocking is related to it. Mention the rattle/knock to the tracking technician, because tracking will be a waste of money if you need to replace a damaged/broken joint first.

Best of luck

Joe

JLittell 03-07-2003 08:18 AM

CARLiTO_, No one can post too much on this website. That's what it's here for!!

Aredubjay 03-07-2003 08:39 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by JLittell
CARLiTO_, No one can post too much on this website. That's what it's here for!!

Gee, thanks! Now, will you tell people to get off my back? :D:D:D

Meanwhile, back at the subject, Carlito, sounds like Joe's got this one sussed. You may also check for a busted strut mount, causing the knock.

Also, sometimes people complain of "pulling" when the car is actually, simply following the domed surface of the road. Roads/Streets are domed for drainage. Some have more of an arch than others, leading to (what seems to be) pulling to the right.

Anyhoo, have all your steering and suspension components checked out. Therein (more than likely) lies your problem.

svx_commuter 03-07-2003 10:41 AM

Ah ? Mr. Johnson did not start this thread? :confused:

Is he to be a contender for Randy? :D

Lets hear it for CARLiTO_. :D

CARLiTO_ 03-07-2003 12:52 PM

i juss took to to a mechanic and he test drive it, he said it could either be the allignment or rackenpenion (think that's how it's spelt) which has something to do with the steering. The knocking noise is probably something with the suspension, he didnt put the car on the hoist tho, that's juss his hypothesis..

Aredubjay 03-07-2003 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by CARLiTO_
i juss took to to a mechanic and he test drive it, he said it could either be the allignment or rackenpenion (think that's how it's spelt) which has something to do with the steering. The knocking noise is probably something with the suspension, he didnt put the car on the hoist tho, that's juss his hypothesis..
Rackenpenion is the German spelling. In the U.S. it's Rack and Pinion. :D:D:D I certainly hope that's NOT your problem.

CARLiTO_ 03-07-2003 04:59 PM

why?

is it expensive to fix? :confused:

Subafreak 03-07-2003 06:02 PM

It's an SVX isn't it?

CARLiTO_ 03-07-2003 09:51 PM

is the rack and pinion of the legacy or the imprezza same as the svx?

Earthworm 03-07-2003 10:04 PM

I don't think so as I don't think they have speed sensitive steering.

Someone correct me if I am wrong.

Subafreak 03-08-2003 12:28 PM

No. Unfortunatly the SVX dosn't share much with the Legacy or Imprezza. Except for the tranny and rear end.

Tim 03-08-2003 12:45 PM

Wait so the pulling to the side in grooved roads is normal?

James Scott 03-08-2003 07:47 PM

PULLING?

Sounds like the car's not pulling to the right, but the steering wheel has to be turned to the right for the car to go straight. If I understand correctly, then the steering wheel just needs to be centered (tie rod ends adjusted in or out on each side to center position of wheel when going straight). Great idea to do 4 wheel alignment as suggested, tho!

Phast SVX 03-08-2003 09:29 PM

I have TWo good front axels im selling for 110+ shipping, if you end up needing them just pm me and they're yours!
phil