The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   wats the best tranny for the 5 spd swap?? (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=50805)

Wolfy 06-30-2009 02:10 PM

wats the best tranny for the 5 spd swap??

some people tell me its the wrx tranny, others say the forester is best and someone even told me a legacy tranny. wats the best tranny for its worth? plus i may need to replace my diferentials as well so am i able to take that out of something too?

STeeL25T 06-30-2009 02:43 PM

Re: wats the best tranny for the 5 spd swap??

I'm interested in this too.

You'd think the later year WRX ones would be the best after the 6 speed of course, but the Legacys handle the EZ30 well enough so they probably have some durability.

Wolfy 06-30-2009 02:49 PM

i know but someone told me that the wrx trannys can hardly handle a wrx engine. so how can it handle am eg33? i heard foresters have boxer 6 engines but idunno if thats true.

LetItSnow 06-30-2009 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by STeeL25T (Post 607449)
...the Legacys handle the EZ30 well enough...

5 speed EZ30? :eek:

Mike621 06-30-2009 04:19 PM

I didn't think EZ30 Legacies had an option for a manual.

Also, on a side note: Wolfy, there is an "H" in "what". Not to be a nitpicker, but with all of the questions you ask, I have not seen you spell it correctly once. :o

huck369 06-30-2009 04:24 PM

The Legacys with a 6 cylinder have not had a manual tranny in them (in the US)
And the Forester has never had a 6 cylinder stock

All Subaru 5 speeds are basically the same, the STi and WRX after 03 (I believe) have a slightly stronger gearset.
The only rear differences are the final drive ratio, and which will be better for you completely rides on what you plan to do with your car....

Drive it, or race it.....

Drive it...any 5-speed will hold up fine...

Race it...no tranny will last forever, just plan on tranny work/replacement...if you want to play, you gotta pay....

Wolfy 06-30-2009 04:33 PM

well i dont plan on racing but i do want it to have the ability to hold its own if i decide to place a lead foot on the gas pedal :) ok if theres no difference then which is the cheapest and will it have a matching diff?

p.s. whell mike wat hever dho yhou mhean? hi ahlways phut ahn H ihn the right plhace :)

Gamesy 06-30-2009 04:59 PM

you can get a 5spd and just put a 3.9 in the tranny and u can use your stock diff.

personally from what i've heard from friends and known friends who broke wrx 5spds i'd only feel comfortable with a 6spd sti

Wolfy 06-30-2009 05:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gamesy (Post 607479)
you can get a 5spd and just put a 3.9 in the tranny and u can use your stock diff.

personally from what i've heard from friends and known friends who broke wrx 5spds i'd only feel comfortable with a 6spd sti

no my diff is almost gone, if i turn at low speeds, its grinds LOUD. i was asking if i pull out a tranny from a subaru, will i be able to take its diff too and use that as a replacement? sorry but wat does 3.9 mean? and wat ratio is mine?

Gamesy 06-30-2009 05:36 PM

the stock gearing in an SVX is a 3.90 ratio some people who end up using the legacy tranny's change it to a 4.44.

you can take the diff too with the tranny but you might have to get a customized driveshaft cause the distance isnt the same and see if you can get a diff where you can stil use your stock axels

Hocrest 06-30-2009 05:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gamesy (Post 607492)
the stock gearing in an SVX is a 3.90...

Stock final drive in an AWD SVX is 3.54 not 3.9.

The only 5 spd that will use the stock SVX rear diff is an WRX, their final drive is 3.9 but there is a 1.1:1 ratio on the rear transfer.

Most Legacy/Imp 5 speeds are either 3.9 or 4.11, get the rear diff when you get the trans and follow SVXfiles write up to move your rear LSD into the new rear diff.

redlightningsvx 06-30-2009 05:40 PM

Stock gearing is 3.54
EDIT:::DDamn..... beat me to it

Wolfy 06-30-2009 05:58 PM

wait so if i do swap to a mt then id need to also get a longer driveshaft and a different axle for the new rear diff? sorry if im a bit confused, but say i grab the trans and diff from a junk legacy. i need to replace the axle to match up with the diff?

Hocrest 06-30-2009 06:05 PM

If you follow SVXfiles write up for the rear diff swap, you'll still have an LSD and use your stock rear axles.

You do need a longer driveshaft though. You can modify some 5 speed leg DS's or get your's stretched (see TomsSVX)

Wolfy 06-30-2009 06:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hocrest (Post 607506)
If you follow SVXfiles write up for the rear diff swap, you'll still have an LSD and use your stock rear axles.

You do need a longer driveshaft though. You can modify some 5 speed leg DS's or get your's stretched (see TomsSVX)

i checked out the how to page but it says page cannot be found. weird. i sent a message to tom to see if he can help me out, but he didnt get back to me yet.