The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Interior Mods (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=69)
-   -   Best Window Tint (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=35901)

GOT2HAVESVX 10-31-2006 12:30 PM

Best Window Tint

OK, I have had the tint for the guy to do my windows for a month and he keeps putting it off so today I got bored and tried to do one. I HOPE I NEVER GET BORED AGAIN! :eek: Is there an easier way to do these curved windows? :eek:

mohrds 10-31-2006 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GOT2HAVESVX
OK, I have had the tint for the guy to do my windows for a month and he keeps putting it off so today I got bored and tried to do one. I HOPE I NEVER GET BORED AGAIN! :eek: Is there an easier way to do these curved windows? :eek:

Yes. Get a part time job, save up the money, and take it to a professional shop. Like any skill, the more you do it, the better you do at it and the less difficult it becomes. Let someone who's done 300 tint jobs tackle it.

The SVX is not a nice car to do a tint job on and certainly should not your first (assuming this was your first tint job). I've done about a dozen normal car tints over the years, and I couldn't do more than one window on the SVX before giving up and taking it to a pro.

Just my $.02

Doug

PDSides 10-31-2006 02:29 PM

Some jobs are not do-it-yourself. Brain surgery and tinting car windows are two of those jobs that come to mind.
Preston

dannmarr 10-31-2006 03:06 PM

You need to use a dryer to mold the tint into place. It takes time and experience to do it right. You also size the tint on the outside before applying it on the inside. You are better off letting a proffesional do it.

GOT2HAVESVX 10-31-2006 03:34 PM

Yeah I'm not a pro but I like to work on my car. It was just a whim now I know I dont want to attempt it. I still might try the window that does'nt roll down tomorrow, using a hair dryer. I do have 4 rolls of tint. ;) OR NOT!

Get a part time job, save up the money, and take it to a professional shop.

I dont need any more jobs I have a husband that loves to work. :D

mohrds 10-31-2006 04:08 PM

Quote:

Get a part time job, save up the money, and take it to a professional shop.

I dont need any more jobs I have a husband that loves to work. :D

:D :D

Do you two want to adopt a middle-aged SVXer who doesn't want to work?

:D :D

SVXBart 10-31-2006 04:46 PM

be carefull

Audrey
before you let them tint your windows try to find some one who had it done by those guys and take a look at what they did.
here is my story
D&L window tinting i baltimore did windows on my whifes Murano,it look very good no problems no corection was needed.My whife got me gift card so i could do my svx .I went to D&L.
I asked them if there is going to be problems with svx (window shape) they said : no! so i let them do it . it costed me 225$ +75$ gift card 3M film
after 3 days i was back and asked them to redo 3 windows(1 cut to much,2 with a lot of bubles and swirles from heat gun too- much heat gun)they re did it -no problem.
after 2 days i was back again with exactly the same windows that looked much worst than before and asked to redo it again(i was polite all the time)
They said no and if i want i can talk to ovner in 15 minutes so i waited.
he was trying to tell me that it was normal that there are gona be some bubles so i asked how much is normal because on my other car there is nothing. He said that they where lucky with my other car!But he told me to come next day to his other store.
next day morning i was there he and his 5 workers came to me and started telling me that it absolutely normal and is propably because the car is old:mad: .he even told me that windows now look better than rest of car:mad: .and that i'm not worried about scratches and dings and bad rims.and that i have waranty dosnot mean that they gona do it all over again.
i was speachless:mad: finaly he let me pic one window to be redone!
\so i went to 3 difrent window places to se what they think about my windows. every one of them said that amount of debris .air bubles and swirles was not normal and whole car should be redone.
I was thinking about writing a letter to Better Buisness Buerau and 3M rep. but i dont have time to dill with that and i dont write englisch too god.
but i did some thing else: i know about 5 persons now that did not had their cars done by D&L because of what i toold them about my car:D

So be carefull Audrey:)

Earthworm 10-31-2006 05:20 PM

I watched them tint my SVX and they first lay the tint on the outside of the window to be tinted and use a heat gun to shrink the tint to match the curvature of the windows.

GOT2HAVESVX 10-31-2006 05:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Earthworm
I watched them tint my SVX and they first lay the tint on the outside of the windshield and use a heat gun to shrink the tint to match the curvature of the windows.

SO you mean the windshield has the same curvature as the rest of the windows?
Thanks SVX BART I will definately be careful. Want some help writing to the BBB? Also, word of mouth can really hurt sometimes. I have lived in the small town of Concord Va for 35 of my 38 years and I know tons of people, we had a privacy fence issue here 3 months ago that cost a fencing company a FORTUNE. (long story but you see where its going)

Ya know Earthworm, I may just try this again tomorrow, by the time I use up all this tint I should be a pro at it! Hey, did they take the door panels off? I am definately going to if I try it again. ;)

MOHRDS, actually if it would give him more time with his PETERBILT he would probably adopt you. But theres always the fact that he has a dislike for my car. (it takes away from the hour hes home a week!)
P.S. Do you do windows? ;) :D

svxistentialist 10-31-2006 06:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PDSides
Some jobs are not do-it-yourself. Brain surgery and tinting car windows are two of those jobs that come to mind.
Preston

Hey Preston, you are SO right!!

I had to give up brain surgery what with all the air bubbles I was leaving in there.

If only I had known about the hair dryer, my career would be still on track.:(

Sigh.

Joe

dannmarr 10-31-2006 06:54 PM

Remember that the correct side needs to be applied to the inside glass. You first apply the tint on the outside with the wrong side against the glass. Spray some soapy water on the glass and it will hold in place while you cut it to size. Over cut the piece to allow shrinkage when the dryer or heat gun is used. If all is good, then trim to size. Now remove the piece and apply it to the inside with the correct side to the glass. Follow the directions to apply. Good luck.

GOT2HAVESVX 11-01-2006 06:06 AM

I dont think theres a way to actually apply the wrong side to the glass is there? I mean you have to peel the clear film off and it would be kinda sticky on your arm hair if you put the sticky side inside ;) :rolleyes: :D :D

dannmarr 11-01-2006 07:08 AM

Do not peel the tint untill you size it on the outside with the finished side facing the glass. When you finish cuting and it fits good to the window, then you can peel it and apply it on the inside with the sticky side to the glass.

Earthworm 11-01-2006 10:22 AM

Quote:

SO you mean the windshield has the same curvature as the rest of the windows?

Sorry, my mistake. I updated my post with what I meant to say :rolleyes: :D

Earthworm 11-01-2006 10:24 AM

Also don't forget to do this inside in a clean environment and keep the window as clean as possible!