The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Think this would really help out??? (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=1864)

Zeppelin 11-02-2001 08:54 AM

Think this would really help out???

http://www.turbonator.com/index.html

I stumbled upon this site after seeing an ad in Sort Compact Car this seems like a very small turbo, but would it really help out that much??

oneothefewproud 11-02-2001 09:33 AM

Z,

Even for the Long Haulers out there. The gas savings alone even if you dont get that much more power out of it.

Wayne

Aredubjay 11-02-2001 09:47 AM

Wayne, nice avatar.

oneothefewproud 11-02-2001 11:50 AM

Nice Avatar

Thanx Randy,

Wayne

1994SubaruSVX 11-02-2001 11:54 AM

seems a little hokey....

i just dont know if i would want to put something on my car called the turbonator? the website had no empirical data at all. i wouldnt waste my money if i were you.

Zombie 11-02-2001 01:40 PM

quick question: why would you want to put something in your intake pipe that impedes airflow and causes turbulance by design???

rufus 11-02-2001 02:15 PM

quick answer: so you can get the TURBONATOR sticker that comes in the box to put on the back of your car.

:p

Zeppelin 11-02-2001 02:19 PM

hehe

Yeah I know it sounds kinda stupid, but I was just wondering if something like that would actually give an increase in ANYTHING! How would a self driven fan blade give any kind of performance gain?? I think it would restrict more than anything.. Now if it was powered by something like a turbo is, then you would have a performance gain!

Mr. Pockets 11-02-2001 02:30 PM

Re: Think this would really help out???

Quote:

Originally posted by Zeppelin
http://www.turbonator.com/index.html

I stumbled upon this site after seeing an ad in Sort Compact Car this seems like a very small turbo, but would it really help out that much??

My opinion is that it's horse pucky.

It's not a small turbo, as you say. It's an impediment, if anything.

Power gains? Give me a break. By being in the way of the air, I don't see how it could possibly increase it's velocity, and therefore volume over time.

Atomizes the fuel better? We drive fuel injected cars, and this thing is way before the fuel injector.

Aredubjay 11-02-2001 02:41 PM

There was a discussion about a similar product on the Yahoo site (search the "archive" for "vornado" or "tornado" or something like that). I believe some references to independent tests were cited that pretty much used Nick's scientific assessment: horse pucky. :D

Shadow248 11-02-2001 02:48 PM

An engineer's point of view...

from an engineer's point of view...i would have to agree it's not worth it. While it would make a difference in both gas mileage and power...you wouldn't notice it. It doesn't make the air more turbulent...it would however pressurize it slightly...by spinning like that it would cause the air to move fast, in a cyclonic fashion. This would also cool the air slightly...but again these changes are so slight because it's being powered by the air its affecting. It wouldn't make a noticeable difference. Plus...the only time it would be real effective is when you let off the throttle after having the engine revving pretty good. Then if you stepped on it hard again...you MIGHT notice some more power cause then it would be pretty well spooled. All this is assuming that it's built well and spins very freely, which probably isn't the case either.

Mr. Pockets 11-02-2001 03:02 PM

Re: An engineer's point of view...

Quote:

Originally posted by Shadow248
from an engineer's point of view...i would have to agree it's not worth it. While it would make a difference in both gas mileage and power...you wouldn't notice it. It doesn't make the air more turbulent...it would however pressurize it slightly...by spinning like that it would cause the air to move fast, in a cyclonic fashion. This would also cool the air slightly...but again these changes are so slight because it's being powered by the air its affecting. It wouldn't make a noticeable difference. Plus...the only time it would be real effective is when you let off the throttle after having the engine revving pretty good. Then if you stepped on it hard again...you MIGHT notice some more power cause then it would be pretty well spooled. All this is assuming that it's built well and spins very freely, which probably isn't the case either.
Ah, but it doesn't spin at all. It has no moving parts. As I said, it just gets in the way of the air.

Zeppelin 11-02-2001 03:21 PM

Oh, I thought that thing spun.. Now that I look more closely, it does look like it's just a bunch of stationary fan blades..

svx_commuter 11-02-2001 05:41 PM

Well there are some REAL devices that are used inside of pipes that pass water that do create many voxtices and those device do improve the flow. There call TORTABS or something like that. There are tested in side a clear pipe before they are used to check on the proper placement.

This may help if the spin was the right way but I am not wanting to find out. It even says that it may cause your gas mileage may go up:eek:

Zombie 11-03-2001 11:33 AM

Horse pucky.... I havent heared that one for a while. ;)