The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Not Exactly SVX (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   Totalled Enzo (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=16759)

manofmayo 02-26-2004 08:09 PM

Totalled Enzo

Ug

http://www.wreckedexotics.com/newpho...0205_001.shtml

SubaSteevo 02-26-2004 08:38 PM

Somebody just got written of the will :D

NomadTW 02-27-2004 01:02 AM

i've seen that before

i wish it was that one that was on TLC's rides with the ugly aftermarket wheels

Michael Blue 02-27-2004 06:30 AM

That car was recently for sale as a parts car.
It has in fact been totalled and have now also been bought, the new owner has no intention to rebuild.

Sad....

Mr. Pockets 02-27-2004 08:26 AM

That car was on eBay last week. The person who listed it said the insurance company paid out $1.3M to the owner.

As for the rumors about who wrecked it, they're just that - rumors. Who the **** knows what really happened...it's a damned shame in any case.

And of course whoever bought it has no intention of rebuilding it - you can't. It's carbon fiber.

upnygimp 02-27-2004 09:02 AM

Yeah, and I believe its one giant piece of CF, so the entire skin would have to be replaced. But still, $1.3mil, that woulda been enough to pay the $400k to get it fixed and still pay off the Enzo (if any money was owed on it) and even after that have prolly over $200k in your pocket.

Mr. Pockets 02-27-2004 01:10 PM

Well, you have to understand how CFRP cars are constructed. It's not a simple matter of 'fixing' it with body filler. All of the panels, save for anything on a hinge, are stressed members of the chassis. Break one and you've got to grind a whole bunch off and glue a new section on.

I'm not even entirely sure you can do that, since the car is put together out of multiple molded peices formed in an autoclave - I have no idea whether or not you can strip the entire car down and mold new pieces on. I'm going to guess that, since so much finishing goes on after the autoclave, they might have to at least make custom molds for the section being replaced. Or possibly go back a bunch of steps and remove the component, glued-together sections that were damaged.

I just don't see anybody ever repairing one of these. The cost would be many times the value of the car.

But then, I may be way off.

upnygimp 02-27-2004 03:12 PM

No, you're right, Ferrari would probably have to fix it. But he was quoted $400k to get it done. So I'm saying he should have, use the rest of the insurance money to pay it off, and then pocket the rest. ;)

Mr. Pockets 02-27-2004 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by upnygimp
No, you're right, Ferrari would probably have to fix it. But he was quoted $400k to get it done. So I'm saying he should have, use the rest of the insurance money to pay it off, and then pocket the rest. ;)
'Wrecked Exotics' claims that the guy was quoted $400k to fix the car, but I would bet money (though not equal to the amount above :) ) that there's nothing to that claim at all. Either they made it up, or somebody they got the photo from did.

Subafreak 02-27-2004 06:05 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I found one for Rob there.

SubaSteevo 02-27-2004 07:38 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Subafreak
Too bad the grill (the ugliest part of the car IMO) is still in one piece :D

upnygimp 02-27-2004 07:45 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Mr. Pockets

'Wrecked Exotics' claims that the guy was quoted $400k to fix the car, but I would bet money (though not equal to the amount above :) ) that there's nothing to that claim at all. Either they made it up, or somebody they got the photo from did.

Sounds right to me, car sells for $643,330. I can see the whole new body running around 400k that considered.

Beav 02-27-2004 08:09 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Subafreak
Kinda kills the idea of the website's name, doesn't it? Maybe they should consider a second site named "Trash on the heap." Sorry, nothing personal, I just hate seeing one of those POS's pull into the shop....

overdalimit 02-29-2004 08:02 AM

Believe it or not..... That Ferrari is very fixable. Reinsuring it is going to be a bigger problem than repairing it. Rebuilding vehicles is a very lucrative business. I have a friend that make a **** of a living doing it. You study the way the vehicle was wrecked and rebuild from that point on out until every damaged body panel is repaired. You 'd be amazed at what can be repaired. The hardest to repair are front hits because of the engine damage that you can't see until breakdown. Exotic cars are easier to repair behind...Well! Most of the engine are aft mounted so it's just a matter of structure repair. Look at that ENZO real good! There's no apparent body twist at all just a clean frontal structure hit. But Da%$ that's going to be expensive!

upnygimp 02-29-2004 10:06 AM

Yes, it is going to be expesive because I believe the body is just one giant piece of carbon fibre......prolly relatively easy to fix, but expensive to make.