The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Parts Interchangeable with other Subarus (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=64648)

decalsvx 07-19-2018 12:55 PM

Parts Interchangeable with other Subarus

In my broad and deep unsuccessful search for an EVAP canister purge solenoid for '96 LSi I found one new for a Baja that looks the same except for orientation of the bracket and bolt hole. If it's the same connector and works the same, I'd bend the bracket.
Hence the larger question: Are any engine parts from other models swappable? Other models use the same parts; anyone know what works for SVX?

I wouldn't ask except I can find exactly zero info on the web on this question. The alternative would be finding exact tech specs for parts — I'd research my own if someone could point to downloadable spec charts for 90s models across the board.

'96 Ebony Pearl
Pure Clean Stock

Blacky 07-19-2018 06:31 PM

Re: Parts Interchangeable with other Subarus

There are very few interchangeable parts that fit the SVX other than filters. The only way I've been able to do it is to find the part# for another Subaru and compare it to the SVX part# to see if they match.

Jvan 07-21-2018 12:24 PM

Can you provide more info on the Baja, what year(s), N/A or Turbo, etc. Any info would help fellow members in their search for interchangable parts. There is an old thread that lists some interchange of Subaru/Nissan parts such as Legacy calipers.

decalsvx 07-30-2018 09:46 AM

2 Attachment(s)
1996 SVX EVAP canister purge valve solenoid can be replaced by 97-04 Outback, Legacy, Impreza and Forester canister purge valve solenoid with one modification: Bend the one-bolt mount bracket 90 degrees so it goes straight back instead of at right angels to the body. It replaces SVX part No. 16102AA08. The key is the electrical connector, which is the same on the replacement part and the original.

huck369 07-31-2018 08:42 AM

Crank Sensors from 90's Impreza/Legacy will work, but have a slightly different mounting tab, but can be used with a little creative thought ...the actual sensor is the same, same connector too.

Jvan 07-31-2018 11:11 AM

I'm hoping someone has the info on this small part; I'm looking for the little filter that goes into the fuel vapor charcoal canister that is next to the AC dryer. I broke the tip of the filter where it attaches to one of the two hoses that go into/out of the canister. I've searched several Subaru parts lists online and it isn't even listed. So if anyone can find a part number or other swap info, I would appreciate the effort.

decalsvx 08-01-2018 08:53 PM

I’ll try to help. Where on the engine is the part located? My mechanic has schematic drawings that may help identify it. Any additionsl info might help.

Jvan 08-02-2018 01:03 PM

The fliter is located on the black charcoal canister which is in the front passenger side between the AC dryer and radiator. There are two fuel vapor lines on the top of the canister, one to take vapors into the canister and the other for exiting the canister; the canister itself is readily available but the filter which is inserted inline of the vapor line is NOT listed and doesn't appear to be an integral part of the canister. It's a very small filter, about 1" in diameter and 3/4" long w/tubes sticking out both sides; it has the number 4804 and A870 on the face side of the filter.

huck369 08-02-2018 01:21 PM

The filter is in the bottom of that black canister, the part you're talking about is a one way valve, to only let fumes flow one way, if I'm not mistaken

Jvan 08-02-2018 02:36 PM

I only called it a "filter" because that it what it looks like; It probably is a one way valve but the question is what is the part number or how do I identify it so I can get a replacement. I broke one of the tubes coming out of the valve and can't reattach it to the rubber tube.

Subaru oldtimer 08-02-2018 04:05 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Are we talking about the check valve (#6 in this schematic)? Sorry I'm not a technician type person.

Jvan 08-02-2018 07:12 PM

Hard to tell from that thumbnail photo but I don't think so because the valve plugs directly into the charcoal canister and this looks like it's between two hoses. I don't see the canister at all, in that photo.What is that a photo of?

huck369 08-03-2018 05:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jvan (Post 749081)
Hard to tell from that thumbnail photo but I don't think so because the valve plugs directly into the charcoal canister and this looks like it's between two hoses. I don't see the canister at all, in that photo.What is that a photo of?

Can you post a picture of the item you're needing, preferably in it's original location to make it more clear to us?

Subaru oldtimer 08-03-2018 04:42 PM

1 Attachment(s)
This is where I pulled the thumbnail from.
However with your description of the charcoal canister it may really be the highlighted part instead of the part I originally highlighted.

Jvan 08-06-2018 08:57 PM

May be hard to believe but I'm old school and have NEVER posted a photo. I need to get help from my kids to post a photo; stay tuned and it may take a few days to post the photo.