The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   General SVX Babble (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Time for a bunch of preventative maintenance (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=60625)

Huskymaniac 09-27-2012 09:02 AM

Time for a bunch of preventative maintenance

1 Attachment(s)
http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/atta...0&d=1348757771

Stuff that needs to be fixed or just replaced for PM over the next 7K miles or so.

1.Front struts and mounts
2.Timing belt, water pump, pullies, seals
3.Coolant, ATF, brake fluid, fuel filter, pcv
4.Rear seatbacks
5.Spark plugs
6.Accessory belts...maybe

Conn SVX 09-27-2012 01:51 PM

Re: Time for a bunch of preventative maintenance

Rear seat backs?
When was the last time any of this was done to the car?

Huskymaniac 09-27-2012 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Conn SVX (Post 712534)
Rear seat backs?
When was the last time any of this was done to the car?

Yeah, they zippered on the tops because of the sun. I am also going to get the rear windows tinted and switch to a different leather conditioner once they are swapped out. Things on that list have different schedules. It just seem like they all come together at around 100K. Car should be good for a long while after this gets done. Well, except for brakes and maybe a wheel bearing or two or three......

icingdeath88 09-27-2012 02:16 PM

If you are going to be doing so much on the engine, why not also replace the vac lines with new ones?

Conn SVX 09-27-2012 02:48 PM

I had pieces replaced on my rear seats. I have the split back seats. The area between the seats split. She did a great job fixing it. Not the whole seat is leather. That is what she told me. Only where you sit ,[IMG]http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b1...189e400a92.jpg[/IMG]
We left it looser so there is not as much stretch

Huskymaniac 09-27-2012 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by icingdeath88 (Post 712536)
If you are going to be doing so much on the engine, why not also replace the vac lines with new ones?

Oh sure, get me to spend more money! Maybe I should though.......;)

icingdeath88 09-27-2012 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Huskymaniac (Post 712540)
Oh sure, get me to spend more money! Maybe I should though.......;)

Well, IMO, it would be worth it. Vac leaks and such are kind of difficult to diagnose, so I would rather replace them than have to deal with that. Actually, after my move is complete, that's one of the higher priority things I need to do on my 97.

redlightningsvx 09-27-2012 06:33 PM

20ft of 3mm vac line will do 95% of the hoses under there. Also get new intake gaskets.

icingdeath88 09-27-2012 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redlightningsvx (Post 712551)
20ft of 3mm vac line will do 95% of the hoses under there. Also get new intake gaskets.

True. Also, silicone vac lines are a good idea.

I would even go do far as to suggest changing the more easily accessible coolant lines. There are a few of them scattered around under there that will be in the same condition as the vac lines.

1986nate 09-27-2012 07:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by icingdeath88 (Post 712541)
Well, IMO, it would be worth it. Vac leaks and such are kind of difficult to diagnose, so I would rather replace them than have to deal with that. Actually, after my move is complete, that's one of the higher priority things I need to do on my 97.

Along with this, do the knock sensors. Even if not throwing a code. You'll be kicking yourself if the driver sensor throws a code shortly after this. Also, PCV valve. Do everything possible while you have the intake off. The parts are cheap considering it's a couple sensors, and a bunch of hose.

Huskymaniac 09-27-2012 07:48 PM

Oy! You guys are trying to bankrupt me here!

I will probably spread this stuff out a little. I'm thinking of doing it in a few waves separated by 3-4k miles. Of the stuff I listed and everything you guys have added, what things are logically lumped together? And, of those groups, are any of them good for DIY where the DIYer doesn't have a lot of specialized tools, experience and time. Remember, I drive this thing daily and pretty much just have the weekends to work on it.

Chuckls 09-27-2012 07:51 PM

If you need the passenger knock sensor, I have one I'm no longer using since I doubt I'll be driving the SVX any more.

1986nate 09-27-2012 07:51 PM

The most "special" tool you'll need for any of this is a vice lol. Just a normal set of sockets and wrenches and extensions.
Pick up a torque wrench from HF if you don't already have one. They're cheap and work great.

svxfiles 09-27-2012 08:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chuckls (Post 712562)
If you need the passenger knock sensor, I have one I'm no longer using since I doubt I'll be driving the SVX any more.

Why not?!:confused:
What now?

Chuckls 09-27-2012 09:04 PM

I have a new to me bugeye wagon that I'm going to be enjoying from now on :)

I'm 50/50 on selling the svx or keeping it as a weekend car.