The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   General SVX Babble (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Soda cans explode at approx 100 degrees F (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=27694)

SubaSteevo 08-03-2005 06:44 PM

Soda cans explode at approx 100 degrees F

It hit about 105 here today...

Not 1, not 2, but 6 soda cans exploded in my trunk. Anyone know what's best to clean it with?

subeman90 08-03-2005 07:13 PM

it can't be any worse than what had already happened but maybe you could take the trunk carpet and put it in the washing machine (or do it at the laundromat) and as for what is left...lots or old rags and some soapy water and just try to keep smiling while you do it. :mad:

X-wife blew a can of pepsi up in her 90 legacy while it was in the cup holder. that sh#% was everywhere. You could still see traces of it 2 years later in some of the cracks on the dash. :eek:

Good luck and have fun (you won't)

thundering02 08-03-2005 08:17 PM

Neighbor kid with a pair of 15's in the back of his trunk had a couple of cases blow up on him a couple years back.... Fried the amp screwed up the speakers and ruinined all of his carpeting in the back and still had to clean the mess out of the sparetire well. :p

Barry'Z (NJ) 08-03-2005 09:25 PM

Bummer Dude

Don't put the carpets in a washing machine, the agitation won't be good for them. Hang the carpets up and hose them down, then soap and scrub them with a brush, than hose them down really well. You should probably remove most of the interior in the trunk area and just wash it with soap and water. If there is soda on the car itself after you have removed the interior, there should be some plastic plugs in the body where water could be drained if it were to enter the cabin. Remove these and wash out the inside of the car, letting the water drain out these holes. Don't use too much water inside the car though, just enough to get the job done.

Good Luck :cool:

benebob 08-03-2005 09:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barry'Z (NJ)
Don't put the carpets in a washing machine, the agitation won't be good for them.
Good Luck :cool:

It'll be just fine so long as it is a front loader!!! (one direction spin). I had one explode in my SVX in 99. I'm still finding reminents.

dromano 08-04-2005 08:47 AM

Hi temps

Quote:

Originally Posted by BurgundyBeast
It hit about 105 here today...

Not 1, not 2, but 6 soda cans exploded in my trunk. Anyone know what's best to clean it with?

Keep in mind when it's 100+, a closed up car reaches 150 to 190 inside. Here in the desert if you leave your pet alone in your car the fine is $20,000 :eek:

ensteele 08-04-2005 10:10 AM

$20 or $200 is rediculous. They should put the owner in the car without water for a couple hours for them to see what it is like. :mad: :mad:

subeman90 08-04-2005 10:16 AM

I think he means $20,000 :eek:

komm.zu.mir 08-04-2005 10:22 AM

Ooo. I like Spray Nine an awful lot. It takes care of just about everything. For the most part, it seems to be color safe. I've used it on my RS's floormats without any trouble..

Spray Nine also works phenomenally well with stains in/on your paint (and yes, it's paint safe). And crap in your wheels. I don't know WTH the previous owner of my RS did as far as cleaning was concerned, but my wheels were caked with brake dust, corrosion, you name it. I watched Spray Nine dissolve it. =P

Anyway, it works well enough for what I've needed it for. My apologies if this is old news.

komm.zu.mir 08-04-2005 12:16 PM

Heh. As I type, I'm about to get up and rinse the Spray Nine off the RS, and get it sudsy again. =D

TomsSVX 08-04-2005 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dromano
Keep in mind when it's 100+, a closed up car reaches 150 to 190 inside. Here in the desert if you leave your pet alone in your car the fine is $20,000 :eek:

Unless it is my cat... I swear the thing has been alive for as long as I have, and no matter what evil plan I cook up next, the thing just won't die. :eek: ;) ;)

Tom

n00b on demand 08-04-2005 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tomssvx
Unless it is my cat... I swear the thing has been alive for as long as I have, and no matter what evil plan I cook up next, the thing just won't die. :eek: ;) ;)

Tom

Feed it to your dog....better the cat than me :D :p

TomsSVX 08-04-2005 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by soobiesvx93
Feed it to your dog....better the cat than me :D :p

Sorry about that... My bad :rolleyes: ;)

Tom

KCROGUEDOG 08-04-2005 03:14 PM

take all back panels out and to the car wash and soap them and rinse. your luck it is the trunk and not the inside up front.

SubaSteevo 08-04-2005 04:13 PM

Well the good news is I happened to have a tarp in the trunk that sort of acted as a splash shield.

The bad news is that once it hit the tarp, it appears to have ran directly onto the trunk carpeting (which is now pretty gross) and then into the floorboard (which is now stained).

It could have been worse...