The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   transmission shift kit (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=15258)

gamblergw 12-26-2003 06:03 PM

transmission shift kit

A newbie in a learning stage.. A few days ago there was a svx trans. shift kit for about 45.00 on ebay. The seller (small car performance) states that they blieve that the reason for svx tranny failing is because they slip to much and create to much heat. It also wears out band and other parts befor there time. They said that an old trick used by svx owners was to remove the dropping resistor located behind the battery. There kit is installed in that area and makes the trans. **** a little harder but not to hard creating to much shock. They say removing the dropping resistor alone will make it shift to hard creating to much shock on other parts. Thai all sounds like they may be right. I have not seen any post on the removal of the dropping resistor. Ok guys, what do you think? Are they right and what about the resistor trick? I am flying out Mon. to pick up the 92 i bought sever days ago. Cant wait. Thanks guys for all the great info . Jim Stanley

gamblergw 12-26-2003 06:06 PM

Shift a little harder. Sorry about that. Should have used spell check.. I go faster than my brain at times. LOL Jim

immortal_suby 12-26-2003 10:59 PM

I have run both the removal of the resistor and the small car shiftkit.
By far the shiftkit is the way to go for firmer shifts and increased tranny life.
Unplugging the dropping resistor will make for hard shifts but it also confuses the TCU which makes for an undesired hunting for gears on deceleration in 3 or 2.

The shift kit is fully adjustable to get shifts almost as hard as removing the resistor but doesn't cause any other shifting problems.
Great mod and highly recommended. It can only help to prolong the life of the tranny.

gamblergw 12-27-2003 09:46 AM

Thanks immortal-suby, I think i will go that route. What about using an adjustable resistor ( a vairable resistor ) would that be about the same thing as the shift kit mod? Thanks again for the info. Jim Stanley

CDG 12-28-2003 10:35 AM

the resistor is a fixed function unit, variable doesn't really make a difference, but good thinking.
The Small Car shift kit is described in a few of the threads, it uses a vacuum switch to modulate your shifting, the size of the resistor does give you the control your looking for.

A shift kit that I think you're talking about is the Valve body style from LevelTen???

ensteele 12-28-2003 12:16 PM

I think that this is the item on ebay that he was talking about.

I have disconected mine before, but it surges at different speeds. The kit will stop that from happening, and will give firmer shifts and reduce the slipping. :)

You can also buy directly from Smallcar here.