The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Not Exactly SVX (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   Looking for some recommendations/opinions (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=30615)

XCSkierFreak 01-02-2006 06:59 PM

Looking for some recommendations/opinions

live in WI, and go to school in Upper Michigan, I'd like a reliable car that would be fun to drive, but more importantly able to handle the more than 10 feet of snow Houghton gets every winter. I've already decided that I'm going to need a manual car with ABS and AWD. Right now I'm only seriously considering the Impreza or SVX because both seem like they'd fit the bill, aside from the lack of a 5spd in the stock SVX.

The only catch is that being a college student, I'm not made of money, so I'm looking to only spend $5000 at maximum, after everything's paid for. Ideally, I'd like to spend around $3500, but I'm not going to hold my breath on that at all. This may be a tad low for the SVX?

Is there any other cars I should look into that would satisfy my needs? I should mention I'm not planning on making a purchase until mid-June, I guess I'm jumping the gun a little bit.

Thanks for any replies.

immortal_suby 01-02-2006 07:54 PM

90's Legacy. Cheap, reliable, and love to be beat on.
Stay away from the svx until after you graduate - you don't need the hassle and expense of fixing one along with worrying about school.

Seraph 01-02-2006 08:24 PM

What matt davis said.

Landshark 01-02-2006 08:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by immortal_suby
90's Legacy. Cheap, reliable, and love to be beat on.
Stay away from the svx until after you graduate - you don't need the hassle and expense of fixing one along with worrying about school.

yep, but don't forget the Impreza's, too.

ensteele 01-02-2006 08:50 PM

Welcome to the site. I would echo the thoughts that were mentioned before. :) :)

XCSkierFreak 01-03-2006 04:16 PM

Thats kind of what I was thinking regarding the SVX. After lurking the SVX forums for about 2 months, it looks like I'm going to need to have a bit more cashflow.

And is there anyplace else besides NASIOC to look for imprezas, and especially legacy's? I'm not impressed at all with the autotrader listings so far.

Thanks,
Andrew

immortal_suby 01-03-2006 06:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Landshark
yep, but don't forget the Impreza's, too.

I remember those, but they suck. :p

RojoRocket 01-03-2006 06:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by XCSkierFreak
Thats kind of what I was thinking regarding the SVX. After lurking the SVX forums for about 2 months, it looks like I'm going to need to have a bit more cashflow.

And is there anyplace else besides NASIOC to look for imprezas, and especially legacy's? I'm not impressed at all with the autotrader listings so far.

Thanks,
Andrew

Try here too. http://bbs.legacycentral.org/

I'd have to vote for the early Legacy as well. I had a '91 LS Wagon (2.2L) that was incredibly tough. Impreza's are a good bet as well, with the same powertrain. Good luck with your search.

Glenn

Royal Tiger 01-04-2006 04:44 AM

We had an Impreza and 2 Legacy's all with the 2.2L. You can't go wrong with these choices.

subi-crosser 01-04-2006 10:48 PM

Quote:

live in WI, and go to school in Upper Michigan, I'd like a reliable car that would be fun to drive, but more importantly able to handle the more than 10 feet of snow Houghton gets every winter. I've already decided that I'm going to need a manual car with ABS and AWD. Right now I'm only seriously considering the Impreza or SVX because both seem like they'd fit the bill, aside from the lack of a 5spd in the stock SVX.

The only catch is that being a college student, I'm not made of money, so I'm looking to only spend $5000 at maximum, after everything's paid for. Ideally, I'd like to spend around $3500, but I'm not going to hold my breath on that at all. This may be a tad low for the SVX?

Is there any other cars I should look into that would satisfy my needs? I should mention I'm not planning on making a purchase until mid-June, I guess I'm jumping the gun a little bit.

Thanks for any replies.

If you feel like a 'Road Trip', I have a 95 Legacy sedan that runs like a Swiss Watch!! It has 165k on a 2.2 w cold air, good heat,automatic, (I like them in the snow), and has had $800. worth of brake, bearing and half shaft work done by the former owner.
I will put it through Md inspection, (one of the toughest in the land) For $2,500.
Silver, w grey cloth interior.

XCSkierFreak 01-07-2006 08:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by subi-crosser
If you feel like a 'Road Trip'...

yes...but it'd have to wait until sometime in June. I've got to wait until June-ish so I've gotten enough summer job wages deposited...this no money situation at college is kickin my ass!:eek: :eek:

subi-crosser 01-08-2006 06:53 AM

Quote:

yes...but it'd have to wait until sometime in June. I've got to wait until June-ish so I've gotten enough summer job wages deposited...this no money situation at college is kickin my ass!:eek: :eek:

The only way it won't be available then is if the wife tries to move another fire hydrant...