The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   General SVX Babble (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Battery charger (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=30033)

msvx95 12-03-2005 06:38 PM

Battery charger

Hi,

Can anyone recommend a battery charger that can be used for a car in storage. I want to get one as a gift for my father. He has his hot rod garaged for the winter, but is looking for a charger that can sense when the battery is draining and can kick on and off during the winter to recharge the battery. He already has one that can perform the 2amp slowcharge, 8amp medium charge, and 12amp full fast charge.
I've never seen what he's looking for, so can anyone help me on this? What specs am I looking for?

Thanks in advance,

Matt

svxcess 12-03-2005 08:12 PM

The only one that you need is the Battery Tender Plus. You can keep it hooked up indefinitely and as the battery starts to drain it automatically tops it off.

I have used this for many years without any problem, storing cars for up to 6 months at a time.

http://batterytender.com/why_battery...fd9e981da5da3d

Available at most auto parts stores for about $60.00. By far the best product on the market for this situation.

msvx95 12-03-2005 09:21 PM

Okay, very good deal....I looked at the website and the floating/storage characteristics is what I'm looking for.
Thanks SVXCESS

Landshark 12-03-2005 10:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by svxcess
The only one that you need is the Battery Tender Plus. You can keep it hooked up indefinitely and as the battery starts to drain it automatically tops it off.

I have used this for many years without any problem, storing cars for up to 6 months at a time.

http://batterytender.com/why_battery...fd9e981da5da3d

Available at most auto parts stores for about $60.00. By far the best product on the market for this situation.

i'll second that. it doesn't have the "fast charge" capability, but it is a great product. it will typically charge a completely dead battery in 1-1.5 days.

the permanent connectors would be good for your dad's car, too. just attach them to his battery, and when its storage time, just plug it in.

ensteele 12-03-2005 11:26 PM

I use the ones that Sears or Wal Mart have. The ones at Sears cost $30. and the ones (exactly the same) at Wal Mart cost $16. I use several to keep my batteries charged up. If you want the brand or part number, let me know. They are not water proof like the one above. :)

msvx95 12-05-2005 04:35 AM

Sure...all sound good....What model/part number would the sears one be?
I was thinking about going to sears anyways to look for some nice tools.

ensteele 12-05-2005 08:20 AM

The ones at Sears and Wal Mart are the Schumacher Battery Companion. It is fully automatic and is a 1.5 amp slow charge when on. :) Model WM-1562A and will work on 6 or 12 volt batteries. It comes with clips or round spades for the battery. Good luck. :)

msvx95 12-05-2005 09:39 AM

Thanks Earl....You just reached 8500 posts on the network.....what will you do to celebrate??? :p

Earthworm 12-05-2005 01:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by msvx95
Thanks Earl....You just reached 8500 posts on the network.....what will you do to celebrate??? :p

Looks like he's going to stop posting and celebrate :D

msvx95 12-06-2005 09:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ensteele
The ones at Sears and Wal Mart are the Schumacher Battery Companion. It is fully automatic and is a 1.5 amp slow charge when on. :) Model WM-1562A and will work on 6 or 12 volt batteries. It comes with clips or round spades for the battery. Good luck. :)

A co-worker brought in a new one today...SEM-1562A...it's the same thing Schumacher Batter Companion....he paid 30 bucks from one of his vendors...I'm going to check the price....but this is great...it's a 1.5 amp trickle charge with full charge to Float-mode and has quick disconnects.

benebob 12-06-2005 01:14 PM

I've had a battery companion on my bike and SVX for 4 years no. Works just fine. I switch it up every 2 weeks. Personally I won't buy from Wal-Mart because of their business practices but another good option is the Battery Tender Jr (which is a more compact less featured tender). It retails for like $24 or something like that. The $60 one though can be used for more than one vehicle I think at the same time which might be of use to some of ya.

nordique14 12-06-2005 05:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by benebob
I've had a battery companion on my bike and SVX for 4 years no. Works just fine. I switch it up every 2 weeks. Personally I won't buy from Wal-Mart because of their business practices but another good option is the Battery Tender Jr (which is a more compact less featured tender). It retails for like $24 or something like that. The $60 one though can be used for more than one vehicle I think at the same time which might be of use to some of ya.

I have a great battery charger that you plug into the cigarette lighter. Very easy to use. Find out if the car you want to charge has a lighter that works if the car is off. Doesn't work on the SVX though as power to the lighter is killed if the car is off. :(

Couldn't agree more about Walmart. Please don't go there.

--Matt

msvx95 12-07-2005 04:50 AM

The only thing I know bad about wal-mart is that they edit cd's to remove the parental advisory language.....I'm sure there is nothing P/A related for the battery charger.
In fact....I noticed the Schumacher charger is exactly the same as the Diehard charger at Sears...same price, different label.

Um, bad business practices, maybe, but good business..........Each Walton are the richest people in the world.

intelisevil 12-07-2005 06:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by benebob
Personally I won't buy from Wal-Mart because of their business practices

Let's see . . .

They put stores into markets where no other businesses will go.

They hire people that no other businesses will hire.

They make a point of keeping their prices down so the local people can afford to buy their products, yes sometimes that means lower quality, (I don't buy my tools there!)

I can support Wal-Mart's business practices much easier than Macy's, Saks, Bloomingdales, you get the idea.

Just my $.02

Oops, my can of worms got lose. ;)

benebob 12-07-2005 08:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by intelisevil

Just my $.02

Oops, my can of worms got lose. ;)

You must be the most ignorant soul on the planet. I feel SO sorry for you.