The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   General SVX Babble (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Help! My Brand New '97 LSi (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=3650)

LearJeff 04-14-2002 07:41 PM

Help! My Brand New '97 LSi

I just purchased a brand new, 1997 SVX LSi. I say brand new, because it is. I'm purchasing it from the dealer it was originally delivered to; it has never been registered; it only has 121 miles on it! It has been stored inside since 1997. I am flying out to finalize my purchase tomorrow (Monday, April 15, 2002) and supervise its loading onto the car transporter on Tuesday, the 16th. I am a little nervous about a car that is as complex as an SVX having sat for 5 years basically motionless and with absolutely no break-in miles to speak of. Besides obvious things like will it start, etc., are there any items I should pay close attention to? Aesthetically, the car is dealer showroom perfect. It has literally been in a time warp. But should I take it to my local Subaru dealer when I receive it for a thorough inspection or should I just start driving it? Thanks for any suggestions!

Green1995SVX 04-14-2002 07:48 PM

I would say the first order of business would be to have the tranny flushed.

Is this, by any chance, the legendary red ebay svx?

-Mike

Boone 04-14-2002 08:17 PM

Haaaay, This is a new '97 from the dealer. Good 60K warrenty applies. Let the rest of us dream... B. :D
Let's welcome Jeff...

sith 04-14-2002 08:46 PM

Woah... the Ebay SVX got sold... send pictures!

I would be tempted to ask what you paid... but I'll let somebody else ask.

Congrats on the purchase.

Green1995SVX 04-14-2002 08:57 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by sith

I would be tempted to ask what you paid... but I'll let somebody else ask.

What did you pay, if you dont mind me asking? :D

-Mike (I'm here cause colin is a wimp)

EverclearAtMSU 04-14-2002 09:11 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Green1995SVX

What did you pay, if you dont mind me asking? :D

-Mike (I'm here cause colin is a wimp)

<~~~ wants to know as well. Also, did they give you the original rims w/ the car? Or just the aftermarket ones pictured. I've been trying to figure out why they had aftermarket rims on a brand new car :confused:

wasions 04-14-2002 09:21 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Green1995SVX
I would say the first order of business would be to have the tranny flushed.

Is this, by any chance, the legendary red ebay svx?

-Mike

Uh, why flush the tranny? It hasn't had any use. If it's been in the showroom (environmentally-controlled) I really doubt if that's necessary.

Oh, by the by, Jeff,

YOU LUCKY DOG!!!!!

:eek: :cool: :D :D :cool: :eek:

Check out Larry iii's locker and get ready for Indiana in the summertime. :D

Ron Mummert 04-14-2002 09:27 PM

Congratulations on your purchase. We assume you bought the red '97 of e-bay fame. Could you tell the rest of us what prompted you to spend $XXXX on this vehicle? Were you a long term SVX nut, or did you feel any 5 year old virtually unused "semi-luxury coupe" would simply be a wise investment? Thanks, good luck & be sure to truck it to Lafayette in July so we can all sniff the interior.
Ron.

Green1995SVX 04-14-2002 09:47 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Ron Mummert
we can all sniff the interior.
Ron.

I will let todd field this one.

-Mike

Aredubjay 04-14-2002 11:06 PM

Re: Help! My Brand New '97 LSi

Quote:

Originally posted by LearJeff
I just purchased a brand new, 1997 SVX LSi. I say brand new, because it is. I'm purchasing it from the dealer it was originally delivered to; it has never been registered; it only has 121 miles on it! It has been stored inside since 1997. I am flying out to finalize my purchase tomorrow (Monday, April 15, 2002) and supervise its loading onto the car transporter on Tuesday, the 16th. I am a little nervous about a car that is as complex as an SVX having sat for 5 years basically motionless and with absolutely no break-in miles to speak of. Besides obvious things like will it start, etc., are there any items I should pay close attention to? Aesthetically, the car is dealer showroom perfect. It has literally been in a time warp. But should I take it to my local Subaru dealer when I receive it for a thorough inspection or should I just start driving it? Thanks for any suggestions!
If this dealer's worth its salt, it has already put fresh fluids in it, pending your arrival. I'd get as much information as I could from them about how it was maintained over the years. Was it started? What was done to keep the seals from drying, etc. I'd get satisfactory answers for all of those questions first.

Congratulations.

Green1995SVX 04-15-2002 09:40 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by wasions

Uh, why flush the tranny? It hasn't had any use. If it's been in the showroom (environmentally-controlled) I really doubt if that's necessary.

Well, color me offended.

-Mike

EverclearAtMSU 04-15-2002 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by wasions

Dur, you'd want to change it anyways. I know I didn't pay much attention in science, but i remember something about everything breaks down (chemically speaking), no matter what environmental condition it's left in. I belive it's called entropy? So your looking at 5 years of yeah, you get the idea...

Ron Mummert 04-15-2002 10:18 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by EverclearAtMSU

Dur, you'd want to change it anyways. I know I didn't pay much attention in science, but i remember something about everything breaks down (chemically speaking), no matter what environmental condition it's left in. I belive it's called entropy? So your looking at 5 years of yeah, you get the idea...

Then how do you explain wine improving with age? I find that my box'o Zinfandel tastes better when storing it a week at home rather than drinking it in the liquor store's parking lot.
So much for the entropistic theory!

Ron.

mohrds 04-15-2002 10:32 AM

<<it only has 121 miles on it!>>

Congratulations on your investment.

I do have one simple question (not meaning to be offensive):
If you have a showroom perfect 5 year old car with 121 miles on, why on earth would you drive it? This car is only going to get more valuable if you store it and keep the milage from changing.

You can buy a workhorse SVX for a few thousand dollars to drive and cherish the "Last of the great ones" as a perfectly preserved peice of history.

Trailer it to Indiana in June and charge $5 a head to look it over. I guarantee you I'd pay that to see it.

As an owner of other vintage cars, I can assure you a time will come when people need a concourse quality car to compare restorations against. You now have that car. Why risk anything changing (belt printings, wax pencil markings from the assembly line, etc.)

Please, Please, Please shelter and pamper this car for the sake of the breed.

Doug

phoenix96 04-15-2002 10:53 AM

I agree. This car may be the only one left in its condition. It would be a shame to lose it.