The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Tranny swappers - front axle question (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=30137)

Stevebsy 12-07-2005 10:00 PM

Tranny swappers - Outback donor tranny missing stub axle shafts??

I just picked up my 96 Leg. outback 4EAT today and noticed that it does not have the little stubs sticking out of the front differential. It looks like the rear differential does - you can see straight through it except for the pin going through the center.

Though all the swap pictures I see, the tranny has the stubs sticking out of the transmission. Do I just need to get some stub axle shafts and stick them in there or is something worse at work here?

Looking at my 4EAT service manual, it shows a stubby axle shaft for each side to be held in with some circlips, yet my new tranny has none....I"m thinking maybe the guy who pulled this from the OB forgot to pull the pins, and yanked on them until the CV came out with the axle shaft still pinned on.

Hocrest 12-07-2005 10:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stevebsy
...I"m thinking maybe the guy who pulled this from the OB forgot to pull the pins, and yanked on them until the CV came out with the axle shaft still pinned on.

Sounds about right to me... ;)

Stevebsy 12-08-2005 07:19 AM

So..if I can get him to send me the stubs, I can just whack them back in there ok?

benebob 12-08-2005 07:31 AM

wack away (actually you shouldn't have to wack. Let me know if you need some I'll try to get em out of one of the lawnmissions but they never seem to want to come when you're trying to take them out. :D

huck369 12-08-2005 07:50 AM

You could also just pop the ones out of your SVX tranny to use then replace them later...

AFBeefcake 12-08-2005 08:34 AM

I had a smiler problem with a trany on a wrx swap in my buddies legacy.
To fix it I had to disassemble the trany to put the c-rings on the inside of the haft shafts. This was on and JDM 5 speed so I think car it cam out of had different CV-joints on it.

SVX-FF 12-08-2005 04:22 PM

Steve,

All you need to do is remove the stubs from your SVX tranny. I had the same situation when I did a tranny swap last summer. I had to ask the Subie dealer to make sure it was ok. All the 4EAT thannys have removable stubs. Here is the link to my locker, Stub pulling
It was an easy swap.

Enjoy
Steve

PhillsSvx 12-10-2005 12:15 AM

look at your old axles and the stubs are on them they are held in by roll pins take a punch and punch and pick up some new at your local hardware store always use new roll pins

benebob 12-10-2005 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhillsSvx
look at your old axles and the stubs are on them they are held in by roll pins take a punch and punch and pick up some new at your local hardware store always use new roll pins

Ah, I've never replaced a roll pin.

Boxer6SVX 12-10-2005 01:32 PM

Are they supposed to come out???

Earthworm 12-12-2005 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boxer6SVX
Are they supposed to come out???

Rollpin - yes
Stubbs - no