The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Fading brake performance? (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=25172)

Tim 03-22-2005 06:34 AM

Fading brake performance?

When my car is cold, the brakes work awesome. The pedal is very sensitive and the car stops easily. When the car is fully warmed up after about 10 minutes the pedal feels harder and I have to push harder for the car to stop the same way.

What could cause this problem?

n00b on demand 03-22-2005 07:26 AM

You might need to get your brakes bled. My brakes are the same exact way when warmed up...i feel like i have to press them in so much to get a little response but when the car is cold they work like their supposed too. This was the case even when i got my pads changed in october.

AFBeefcake 03-22-2005 10:03 AM

What color is your brake fluid? Mite be time to change it all.

Tim 03-22-2005 11:53 AM

The brake fluid is yellow, I had it bled last summer when I took my car to svxpert (mike) for the 100k tuneup.

I changed the pads 2 years ago and I've only put on about 20,000 miles on them. Never changed the rotors, though I am this summer because they are starting to warp and vibrate.

Maybe I should add more fluid? It seems to be about an inch below the full line but an inch above the low fluid line.

AFBeefcake 03-22-2005 12:27 PM

brake fluid should be clear.

The yellow is from oxidation of the fluid.

Earthworm 03-22-2005 12:59 PM

It shouldn't be that bad unless the fluid is brown.

n00b on demand 03-22-2005 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Earthworm
It shouldn't be that bad unless the fluid is brown.

Yea you hit the bullseye....my fluid is brown....ill change it out this weekend.

thundering02 03-22-2005 07:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TE1221
When my car is cold, the brakes work awesome. The pedal is very sensitive and the car stops easily. When the car is fully warmed up after about 10 minutes the pedal feels harder and I have to push harder for the car to stop the same way.

What could cause this problem?

My car is the exact oposite the only change for me is slotted front rotors(w/semi-metalic pads)

Hohopirates 03-22-2005 11:52 PM

Lines

Sometimes a brake hose could be going bad and swelling when pressure is applied, I don't know if that could be the problem with the hot/cold issue though. A possibility thats an easy check anyway.

Steve

SilverSpear 03-23-2005 07:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TE1221
The brake fluid is yellow...

Never changed the rotors, though I am this summer because they are starting to warp and vibrate.

Maybe I should add more fluid? It seems to be about an inch below the full line but an inch above the low fluid line.

the first two are your problem, the oil should be changed and the discs also...
and don't add up brake oil, because as soon as you change your pads, it will be back to its normal level ;)