The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   no power light (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=41564)

cruisen_15 10-28-2007 02:36 PM

no power light

i have a 96 svx, when i baught it a few months ago i didnt knwo much about it, well i was told recently there is suppost to be a power light that comes on, well my power light wont come on and i already replaced the bulb and cleaned the connections, whats some other things i could try?? also it shifts at 4500 rpm at WOT, so i guess power mode isnt working??

Nomake Wan 10-28-2007 02:39 PM

If you mash the gas from a stop, it doesn't come on? Hm.

I'd say the fact that it's shifting at 4500 at WOT is your real problem, not power mode. Figure out why it's doing that first, and most likely you'll get power mode as a result of fixing that problem. ;)

cruisen_15 10-28-2007 03:11 PM

i see what your saying but it doesnt even turn on when i turn the key to on or even start it up... i had to get a new ecu because a previous owner either let it sit for a really long time or he switched the terminals on the battery, thats what a shop told me after they put a new ecu in, could it be the tcu is also needing to be replaced??

NiftySVX 10-28-2007 03:25 PM

might be the wrong TCU

cruisen_15 10-28-2007 03:28 PM

a tcu maby not for the svx? but maby for a diffrent subaru u meen?

Nomake Wan 10-28-2007 03:29 PM

Uh, if the light isn't coming on on startup then I suspect the TCU is wrong/faulty, as has been said... it comes on on startup as an indicator that the TCU is functioning properly, just like the Check Engine light does for the ECU.

cruisen_15 10-28-2007 03:36 PM

would it be worth a shot to disconnect the connections and use some cleaner on them??

NiftySVX 10-28-2007 04:07 PM

I think you have a TCU from a legacy. Someone here should be able to tell you what the number should be on it. If the part was used, the installer may not have known that it isn't the same.

svxfiles 10-28-2007 05:02 PM

Also be aware that while the POWER LIGHT should illuminate at startup, because of the OBDII, you cannot get POWER light will not illuminate while driving agressively on the 96 or 97 cars.

You will be able to enter power mode by mashing the throttle quickly from a stop or while driving, just the power light will not come on.

This is normal.

cruisen_15 10-28-2007 05:12 PM

i pulled out the tcu, heres what it says on the sticker ir this is any help: http://memimage.cardomain.net/member...939_7_full.jpg

CorSVXette 10-28-2007 07:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by svxfiles (Post 504583)
Also be aware that while the POWER LIGHT should illuminate at startup, because of the OBDII, you cannot get POWER light will not illuminate while driving agressively on the 96 or 97 cars.

You will be able to enter power mode by mashing the throttle quickly from a stop or while driving, just the power light will not come on.

This is normal.

Hey Tom, did you get my pm about the headlights?

svxfiles 10-28-2007 07:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CorSVXette (Post 504618)
Hey Tom, did you get my pm about the headlights?

Just now.:o
PM sent.

The above post was actually penned by John,:rolleyes: svxcess, logged on as me......

paulmeisterpk 10-28-2007 07:58 PM

I've got a '96 as well. I've never seen my power light come on at startup or anytime while I'm driving. My tranny shifts normal, so I'm not worried about it at all. I just figured OBD II cars didn't have a power light.

cruisen_15 10-28-2007 07:58 PM

ok heres some good news i guess, heres what i did: i took the prongs on the TCU and sanded them, blew out the connections that pulg into the TCU, my battery was disconnected for over an hour, so when i connected everything back i let the car idle for a straight 10 min. without touching anything, well i went to go for a "spin" and the power light didnt come on so i said what the hell, i was in a moderate traffic doing 40, punched it and o wow!!!!! i was gone!!!! it went to 45000 rpm and all of a sudden the G'S started to pull me back and it shifted at 6400rpm, did it a few more times because it was so much fun :D, bad news= still have that dang hesitation at mid accelration...

SVXRide 10-28-2007 09:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cruisen_15 (Post 504628)
ok heres some good news i guess, heres what i did: i took the prongs on the TCU and sanded them, blew out the connections that pulg into the TCU, my battery was disconnected for over an hour, so when i connected everything back i let the car idle for a straight 10 min. without touching anything, well i went to go for a "spin" and the power light didnt come on so i said what the hell, i was in a moderate traffic doing 40, punched it and o wow!!!!! i was gone!!!! it went to 45000 rpm and all of a sudden the G'S started to pull me back and it shifted at 6400rpm, did it a few more times because it was so much fun :D, bad news= still have that dang hesitation at mid accelration...

Do a search on "crush mod"....though you shouldn't need to do it if you actually have a post 92/93 ECU...
-Bill