The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   General SVX Babble (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Svx Dealer Parts Availablility (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=46579)

briansvx 10-15-2008 08:29 AM

Svx Dealer Parts Availablility

Hi!
Does anyone on the network know for sure on the availability of parts from Subaru for these rare jewels?

svxfiles 10-15-2008 08:58 AM

Re: Svx Dealer Parts Availablility

Quote:

Originally Posted by briansvx (Post 568521)
Hi!
Does anyone on the network know for sure on the availability of parts from Subaru for these rare jewels?

What parts do you want?:)

briansvx 10-15-2008 09:02 AM

Well, actually, I am in the planning process of buying an SVX and since it's such a rare breed, just wanted to get an idea around how much longer would parts be available before going out of stock on parts... or perhaps there are already parts being discontinued?

Manarius 10-15-2008 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by briansvx (Post 568526)
Well, actually, I am in the planning process of buying an SVX and since it's such a rare breed, just wanted to get an idea around how much longer would parts be available before going out of stock on parts... or perhaps there are already parts being discontinued?

If I recall correctly, the only thing SVX related that Subaru doesn't have (or doesn't have very many of) anymore is OEM windshields.

dcarrb 10-15-2008 09:55 AM

There aren't any original gray floor mats left. (If there are, somebody hook me up.)

I think most stuff is still available; for how much longer is another matter. As the supplies dwindle, so does demand, as numbers in the fleet diminish. Aftermarket items like belts and hoses and filters are no problem. I called O'Reilly Auto Parts the other day looking for an alternator belt and they actually had one in stock (obviously there are non-SVX applications for that belt). Next-day service on such items is the norm.

dcb

svxcess 10-15-2008 11:03 AM

Auto manufacturers are only required to supply parts for a vehicle for a period of 10 years after the cease of production for that vehicle.

For example, most manufacturers maintain their stamping dies (for fenders, hoods, doors, etc.) and molds for other parts, (such a formed weatherstripping and formed hoses) in case their existing inventory runs out within the 10 year period and they need to produce more. It is very expensive to store and maintain these molds.

After the 10 years is up, the expensive molds and dies are usually recycled (destroyed) to provide material for new molds.

Ten years is come and gone. I don't know if the molds are still in existence. It would be great if an after market manufacturer could buy these molds from Subaru for a fair price and keep these parts coming. There would probably be some compatibility issues between these molds and the presses that would be used to form the parts. I don't know who would make this major investment for such a small market return...

svxcess 10-15-2008 11:05 AM

Of course, Jolly Road SVX Parts Warehouse comes to mind... :lol:

dcarrb 10-15-2008 11:48 AM

The fact that there will likely be no more new parts manufactured that require casting molds or stamping dies is all the more reason to rescue all existing examples, no matter their condition, from the crusher. Better they be parted-out than scrapped.

dcb

ensteele 10-15-2008 10:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by svxcess (Post 568548)

Of course, Jolly Road SVX Parts Warehouse comes to mind... :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

briansvx 10-16-2008 09:14 AM

so, has anyone order parts other than the regular maintenance parts? Such as suspension, control arms, engine rebuild kit (available?)

I am a really picky person and once I decide to buy the car, I will be sure to try best in restoring the car to as close to new condition as possible...

sound crazy but just me..

SilverSpear 10-16-2008 09:24 AM

Since you live in Taiwan, I think accessing the Japanese market would not be a big problem to you. Over there I am sure you can find aftermarket parts for the SVX or you can give a buzz to your local subaru dealer and ask him about parts.