The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Not Exactly SVX (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   My Mercedes SL Story (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=51778)

Green1995SVX 09-24-2009 06:47 PM

My Mercedes SL Story

This post is for those that complain about the reliability and parts prices of the SVX.

Some of you may know that I recently purchased a Mercedes SL500. I have now had it for just about 2 weeks.

Last weekend we decided to go for a drive in it to Pittsburgh. (About 90 miles away.) The drive there went excellent. Me going on and on about how wonderful the car is and how great it drives. It really does drive like nothing else i've had.

So we are in Pittsburgh doing some shopping. We come out to the car and I go to start it. The belt is squealing very badly. I do a little checking and the belt looks quite old. I decide to be a hero. There is an auto parts store within walking distance. I get a new belt. In order to gain access to the front of the engine, you kind of have to push the upper radiator hose out of the way. I push it back a little. *SNAP* The neck breaks off of the radiator.

Great. I call the auto club and have the car towed home.

A few days later I decide to tear into the problem. It needs a new belt tensioner to begin with. I order that. $150. Not too bad. Then when it came, I realized that I needed a new tensioner adjustment bolt. That's a dealer only part and is $55. Yes, $55 for a bolt. So I get that stuff taken care of and installed. Now to the radiator. $1400. I don't think so. I stuck the neck back on with epoxy. I know. I'm asking for it.

So, then. Everything is back together now. My belt isnt slipping. My ugly radiator patch is holding.

Now I notice I have fuel POURING out of the fuel distributor on the back of the engine. And it's leaking nicely right onto the hot exhaust. After calling Geico and adding more coverage, I decide to check the price of the fuel distributor. $4000! I believe I'm lucky and it's leaking from a plastic valve on the side of the distributor which is only $250. I ordered it and we'll see.

It sure does look pretty, though.

benebob 09-24-2009 06:55 PM

Re: My Mercedes SL Story

Its no TVR:lol:. What happened to the Snab? Get a case of the Wally with it?

I would hope you learn your lesson with it and understand that if you cook that engine due to a coolant issue you'll be wishing for that $4000 fuel distributor!

Your right though it does look pretty for a Mercedes that is.;)

SoCal LS-L 09-24-2009 07:03 PM

Thats a beautiful car! Sucks about the problems though, sounds like my first car I bought in HS. Hopefully it doesn't turn into Tom Hanks house from "The Money Pit".

Green1995SVX 09-24-2009 07:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by benebob (Post 619006)
Its no TVR:lol:. What happened to the Snab? Get a case of the Wally with it?

I sold the Saab. It wasn't for me. I actually bought the Mercedes with the intention of reselling it. I have fallen in love with it though.

Mike

SilverSpear 09-24-2009 07:43 PM

Man you should really put your Ebay goggles when tracking PARTS for this car.

(Don't ask me why I am still awake, it's 4.44am here and I am having sleeping disorders) :(

Green1995SVX 09-24-2009 07:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SilverSpear (Post 619015)
Man you should really put your Ebay goggles when tracking PARTS for this car.

(Don't ask me why I am still awake, it's 4.44am here and I am having sleeping disorders) :(

It's used and from a car with more miles than mine. I found that one, too. :) I don't think I need the whole distributor anyway.

TomsSVX 09-24-2009 07:48 PM

you bought an sl500 and used epoxy on the radiator? Really? You did that?

Tom

Green1995SVX 09-24-2009 08:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TomsSVX (Post 619017)
you bought an sl500 and used epoxy on the radiator? Really? You did that?

Tom

It's temporary until the one I ordered comes. You're so positive. :)

Landshark 09-24-2009 09:09 PM

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2135/...7b8010e4_o.png

http://i44.tinypic.com/25kj3nd.jpg

Green1995SVX 09-24-2009 09:53 PM

The stuff I used is actually very similar to mighty putty. ;)

Landshark 09-24-2009 10:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Green1995SVX (Post 619038)
The stuff I used is actually very similar .....

http://media.ebaumsworld.com/mediaFi...746/946811.jpg

Green1995SVX 09-24-2009 10:54 PM

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

bheinen74 09-24-2009 11:11 PM

ditch it for a loss whatever that loss cost is. It is more than 3yrs old, and will be a nightmare. Audi, VW, BMW all fall under this 3yr old no more thing
lol at your stupidity buyin a clunker known for EXPENSIVE life threatening problems you should research this a lot more and of course ditch your high priced problem car

SoCal LS-L 09-24-2009 11:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bheinen74 (Post 619052)
ditch it for a loss whatever that loss cost is. It is more than 3yrs old, and will be a nightmare. Audi, VW, BMW all fall under this 3yr old no more thing
lol at your stupidity buyin a clunker known for EXPENSIVE life threatening problems you should research this a lot more and of course ditch your high priced problem car

:rolleyes: I disagree, its a sweet looking car, and if you are patient and do a little research, you can fix it up for minimal cash flow, enjoy it for a while, and THEN sell it without taking a bend-over-and-spread-em loss.

I think somebody just forgot to take their Midol today :tongue:

Green1995SVX 09-25-2009 12:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bheinen74 (Post 619052)

I buy and sell European cars for a living. I know what I got myself into.

Additionally, my 1999 A6 is, without question, the best car I've ever owned. It's getting near 200,000 miles. I've had it since 130,000. I haven't HAD to do ANYTHING to it besides oil changes, brakes, and tires.