The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   4.44 gears (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=35176)

subru92svx 09-15-2006 10:56 PM

4.44 gears

I was just curious how hard it is to do a 4.44 swap? I have a guy whos willing to sell me a 1998 forester tranny and rear diff with 4.44 gears for $300 will that one work? Do you pretty much just swap out front and rear differentials? I take it the car feels a lot better with 4.44 gears? Any info would be great. Thanks

huck369 09-17-2006 08:23 PM

If it's an early 98 tranny it wll work...you can tell by looking to see if it has a screw on filter on the drivers side of the tranny case...if it does have the filter it's the newer versin of the tranny, and won't work...no filter, means it will work.
It is a direct bolt in replacement for the SVX tranny, just have to swap the 4.44 ring and pinion into the SVX rear diff to retain the LSD, and use of the SVX rear axles.

And YES It will feel MUCH better with the 4.44's:eek:

subru92svx 09-18-2006 02:02 AM

Well the transmission the guy is selling is slipping in a few gears. So could I just use my transmission and his front and rear differentials? If the transmission is the newer one with the screw on filter with the differentials still work on my trany? Thanks

huck369 09-18-2006 05:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by subru92svx
Well the transmission the guy is selling is slipping in a few gears. So could I just use my transmission and his front and rear differentials? If the transmission is the newer one with the screw on filter with the differentials still work on my trany? Thanks

That I don't know....

NeedForSpeed 09-18-2006 04:14 PM

tomsvx posted that the front gears are not interchangable on the newer design. If the same design, the front diff can be swapped onto your svx trans. Read the thread or search svxfiles posts to get info on installing the lsd into the donor rear diff.

Quote:

subru92svx 09-19-2006 06:06 PM

Ok well heres my next question. What is a better setup the 4.44 or the 4.11's? I've seen members have both and thought I'd try to get a little feedback before I decided. Thanks

svxfiles 09-19-2006 06:13 PM

Quote:

Ok well heres my next question. What is a better setup the 4.44 or the 4.11's? I've seen members have both and thought I'd try to get a little feedback before I decided. Thanks

In my experience 4.44s have lasted longer, and have better first and second gear ratios!:)

NeedForSpeed 09-19-2006 07:24 PM

It depends.

If you drive flat terrain at freeway speeds and above, go with 4.11. If you drive hilly terrain at variable speeds 60 and below, the 4.44's are unbeatable. If you are interested in max acceleration, listen to svxfiles, he knows.

Quote:

huck369 09-20-2006 06:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NeedForSpeed
It depends.

If you drive flat terrain at freeway speeds and above, go with 4.11. If you drive hilly terrain at variable speeds 60 and below, the 4.44's are unbeatable. If you are interested in max acceleration, listen to svxfiles, he knows.

My thoughts exactly....:cool:

TomsSVX 09-21-2006 09:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NeedForSpeed
tomsvx posted that the front gears are not interchangable on the newer design. If the same design, the front diff can be swapped onto your svx trans. Read the thread or search svxfiles posts to get info on installing the lsd into the donor rear diff.

Hey look!!! someone listened!!!:)

Tom

NeedForSpeed 09-21-2006 05:07 PM

What? You think no one listens?
Keep setting the pace, we're here!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by TomsSVX
Hey look!!! someone listened!!!:)

Tom

AlcyoneDaze 11-02-2007 09:31 AM

I know your all probably sick of the 4.44 swap questions from me, but I'm going to pick up my new trans today, and the sample pictures seem to show the screw-in type filter, which i've read is unusable
http://i8.ebayimg.com/07/i/000/b5/ed/f2bc_1.JPG

the auction says is for 95-98 SUBARU LEGACY / IMPREZA / FORESTER, so as long as there isnt a filter on the driver's side top when I go to pick it up, I should be fine - right? quick replies would help, I'm at work right now waiting to go on my break to pick this thing up

huck369 11-02-2007 11:26 AM

Thats the starter in that pic...the filter sticks out teh side below that...if it had one, which it doesn't look to have.

Hocrest 11-02-2007 12:08 PM

The auction also stated that the picture was not the actual transmission.

Like Huck said, the filter would be lower on the drivers side, sort of below the bend in the black metal dipstick tube.

AlcyoneDaze 11-02-2007 12:09 PM

so as long as I have the brake band adjuster on it, its probably fine? :)