The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   General SVX Babble (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   New Owner Issues#$%(# (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=44980)

carlton69 06-03-2008 03:54 PM

New Owner Issues#$%(#

Hey all,
I read in one of the threads that the two fuses for the FWD are for Diagnostic purposes only. I bought my 97 resently and didn't know this little detail, and from the moment I bought the car the FWD light stayed on constantly, since reading the thread I have since pulled the fuses. What if anything can be hurt from the long exposure to the FWD position. And a side note what is this power light everyone talks about?
Thanks from a cherry!!:)

Landshark 06-03-2008 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by carlton69 (Post 550343)
Hey all,
I read in one of the threads that the two fuses for the FWD are for Diagnostic purposes only. I bought my 97 resently and didn't know this little detail, and from the moment I bought the car the FWD light stayed on constantly, since reading the thread I have since pulled the fuses. What if anything can be hurt from the long exposure to the FWD position. And a side note what is this power light everyone talks about?

no power light on '97's. it unleashes raw furry power on earlier models when it lights up, though.

oab_au 06-03-2008 04:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by carlton69 (Post 550343)
Hey all,

The main problem it can cause is that the front wheels can spin too much, if they get too much jarring it can damage the front differential.
Th power light is nonexistent on your model. The function is the same, fast throttle movement will change the gearbox shift maps to a more sporting set.
Harvey.

carlton69 06-03-2008 06:00 PM

Thanks guys for the info, it was driving me nuts!!!
Ok, next on the agenda is figuring out that little shift button(feels like a momentary contact) that is located on my shifter plate directly above the (P). The name plate is fuzzy but looks like it might say SHIFT. What in the blankety blank is this button?

ShiuludeSVX 06-03-2008 06:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by carlton69 (Post 550359)
Ok, next on the agenda is figuring out that little shift button(feels like a momentary contact) that is located on my shifter plate directly above the (P). The name plate is fuzzy but looks like it might say SHIFT. What in the blankety blank is this button?

Releases the Gear Shift without having to start the car.

Mind the brake please.

oab_au 06-03-2008 06:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by carlton69 (Post 550359)

Don't have it on my 95 Australian model. I think it has some to do with getting the lever out of P with out holding the brake on??????
Australians being smarter drivers,:cool: don't need this crap.:lol::D

Harvey.

odepaj 06-03-2008 06:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oab_au (Post 550361)
Don't have it on my 95 Australian model. I think it has some to do with getting the lever out of P with out holding the brake on??????

Harvey.

oooo, low blow.....:lol:

But yeah, that's what it's for.

Dustin

carlton69 06-03-2008 06:33 PM

Sweet, haven't used it yet but nice to know. Next thing to do is to buff the headlights, and clean the K&N Filter. The last owner put the K&N filter iside the engine bay by way of taking out the windshield wiper reservoir(IDIOT). Now I have to relocate the Filter and install a new reservoir. No telling what else I will find jerry rigged.HAHAHA:lol:

It's Just Eric 06-03-2008 06:53 PM

oh, I love re-doing other people's "upgrades"

with the fuses out, if theres no binding issues and the all wheel drive actually works, perhaps the previous owner was making a very uninformed attempt at increasing his gas mileage
The mystery button is the shift lock. comes in handy if the battery's dead and you need to push a car, or if your doing a radio install and need to move the gear shifter out of the way with the battery disconnected. Thats about all though.

if you need a new washer tank, let me know. We have a few at the shop that could be better used elsewhere

same goes if you wanna get rid of that cone filter for a stock unit as well

lhopp77 06-03-2008 07:31 PM

How it Really IS

Quote:

Originally Posted by oab_au (Post 550361)

Harvey.

Actually not that at all. The Japanese were smart enough to know that the Aussies would not be able to figure it out----so they didn't put it on. :p ;) :D

Lee

kwren 06-03-2008 08:51 PM

Exactly what I was thinking but...

Quote:

Originally Posted by lhopp77 (Post 550378)
Actually not that at all. The Japanese were smart enough to know that the Aussies would not be able to figure it out----so they didn't put it on. :p ;) :D

Lee

Didn't want to say so.

You better watch out Ihopp!

I know a person can be banned from this site for saying exceptionally tacky things, even if they are gospel truth!

Just remember, I didn't say it!

Keith:)

kwren 06-03-2008 08:54 PM

Good cover though...

pretending Las Vegas is in New Mexico:rolleyes:

Landshark 06-03-2008 09:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lhopp77 (Post 550378)

Lee

a dingo stole me shiftlock!

(the shiftlock is called the dongagoolongoo in Australian)

TomsSVX 06-03-2008 11:48 PM

Actually, the shift lock button is a good thing. too bad it shouldn't actually be in a 97 as they were fitted in 93 and 92 models only.

The reason it is a good thing is that the shift lock controllers tend to go south without warning..> When this happens, it is next to impossible to move the selector from park. So if this does happen, you can still get where you need to go...:rolleyes:

Tom

Landshark 06-03-2008 11:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TomsSVX (Post 550424)
Actually, the shift lock button is a good thing. too bad it shouldn't actually be in a 97 as they were fitted in 93 and 92 models only.

yeah, i wish mine had one. mine got locked up (horn fuse blew, shiftlock on same fuse - found that out later :rolleyes: ), so i popped the access cover, and promptly managed to strip the screw to the shiftlock with the POS Subaru screwdriver that came with the car. :mad: