The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Another quick question: PS Pump O-Ring symptoms? (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=49427)

Szalkerous 03-10-2009 05:19 AM

Another quick question: PS Pump O-Ring symptoms?

Does a power steering pump with the famous o-ring problem usually show a leak around the area of the o-ring?

I will get to the bottom of this awful power steering problem casuing me to not be able to drive my car! >=(

-sz

huck369 03-10-2009 05:27 AM

Re: Another quick question: PS Pump O-Ring symptoms?

It will cause it to leak at the bottom of the PS tank, and get all over the top of the motor behind the ps pump....and when bad enough can cause it to froth up enough to run out the lid.....

If you haven't replaced that O-ring I guarantee it needs to be replaced...and it's on y 50 cents and 15 minutes, so replace it and see if it fixes your problem...

It's the cheapest fix you'll ever get on a SVX:D

Szalkerous 03-10-2009 06:18 AM

Thanks Huck. I did a close inspection of the surrounding area under the reservoir (that's visible without removal) and saw no signs of leakage.

I do oddly see some leakage around the end of the return line. I wonder if the band is biting through the line introducing air? I don't seem to see a frothy fluid after use...

I'll have to poke around on subaruparts for that o-ring. if I'm going to have to do a PS flush (next step as I see it) I'll have it ready to be popped and replaced anyways.

-sz

huck369 03-10-2009 08:05 AM

You can match up the O-ring at any parts place, it is just a standard O-ring

K_Dub 03-19-2009 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by huck369 (Post 591335)
You can match up the O-ring at any parts place, it is just a standard O-ring

Now it's my turn to do the O-ring swap. My car has been smoking at stop lights, and it's gotten so bad the valet at my work thought my car was "on fire":rolleyes:

I'm having the hardest time getting this fixed. I'd give my kingdom for a 50cent rubber ring. So far I've tried two dealerships, 4 auto parts stores, and both Home Depot and Lowes. The best I could find is 7/16" ID, 9/16" OD, and 1/16" wall. The how-to calls for 9/32" OD, and 5/64" wall, so I'm very close but no cigar. Maybe this is close enough, but I don't want to put something in that won't fit and just pour even worse than the one I've got now. The local Subaru dealership wants $5 to special order this and it will take a week. I'll give anyone here $10 to send me one that will actually fit my car and arrive sometime before April. Any takers? I'll post in the parts wanted area also, but I thought Huck's post was worth replying to.

ensteele 03-19-2009 07:00 PM

Remember that there is a How-To in the Locker. :)

K_Dub 03-19-2009 07:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ensteele (Post 592911)
Remember that there is a How-To in the Locker. :)

A couple of them to be exact. I got the dimensions from there, and the install looks really easy. If only finding the part was. Anyhow, I've got one coming, so hopefully I'll have all this sorted out shortly.

huck369 03-19-2009 08:17 PM

One of the ones you found would probably have worked, as I alwys just get one at a parts place when one of mine need it.

Szalkerous 03-20-2009 08:18 AM

Yes, I ended up getting one that was REALLY close and came in one of the generic o-ring kits. I could not find an EXACT o-ring. I can tell you the size I used, and it worked just fine, no leaks.

The reason you can be a bit loose on the specs is that the interface on the pump side is countersunk so that as long as the o-ring fits snug to the nipple on the reservoir, it will seal up.

EDIT: Came from a Metric O-Ring value pack by Dorman, P/N 799-450, found at Pep Boys and AutoZone, size: 15mm OD / 10mm ID / 2.5mm W (I think the whole kit cost me $7.95)

svxistentialist 03-20-2009 08:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by K_Dub (Post 592876)
Now it's my turn to do the O-ring swap. My car has been smoking at stop lights, and it's gotten so bad the valet at my work thought my car was "on fire":rolleyes:

Smoking at stop lights can be power steering related, but I never heard of it being caused by the O ring leakage on the top of the block. The block is not hot enough to burn oil, it usually just sits there.

There are two causes of "smoking oil" that I know about:
  1. Numerous accounts of high pressure line leakage down near the steering rack. When this happens oil sprays onto the manifold downpipes or possibly the front cats, both of which are hot enough to smoke oil.
  2. Leaking transmission fluid from the gearbox. This tends to flow towards the cats, and gets smoked when the cats heat up.
If you are leaking steering oil from a high pressure pipe you need to get under a ramp and identify and fix this.

If it's #2, then possibly spray clean the engine area, and watch where the leak originates so you can fix it.

Joe