The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   timing belt replacement (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=51927)

Frogman75 10-07-2009 07:17 AM

timing belt replacement

Left posting under babble a couple of days ago....in short, first time replacement and see belt, rollers, tensioner and water pump combo on ebay...aftermarket, but OK??? Opinions?? Thanks, MK

Chuckles 10-07-2009 09:29 AM

Re: timing belt replacement

Yeah those are fine. I used them, Heck, Tom sold them to me. The belt should come with the white marks already on there "DON"T RUB THEM OFF". Other than that, you just pull off all the goodies on the front of your engine, and take off that timing cover (There are like 5 how-to's) it take a few hours to a day, depending on how stuck things are.

SoCal LS-L 10-07-2009 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chuckles (Post 620651)
Yeah those are fine. I used them, Heck, Tom sold them to me. The belt should come with the white marks already on there "DON"T RUB THEM OFF". Other than that, you just pull off all the goodies on the front of your engine, and take off that timing cover (There are like 5 how-to's) it take a few hours to a day, depending on how stuck things are.

The white marks dont matter, I never used them to reset my timing. What really matters is that the timing marks are all set properly and stay aligned as the tensioner is applied. Depending on your cars age/mileage and finances, you should also do the waterpump, since you would be 85% the way to it, and then while its off you can flush the entire cooling system out with straight water.

s'ko 10-07-2009 12:02 PM

1 Attachment(s)
be careful taking off the t-belt covers. The plastic housing for the nuts in the back can be brittle and break. J-B weld works wonders to resecure the nuts.

Also if you are doing the cam seals, one tip to remove the cam bolt is to wrap the old t-belt around the cam gear 2/3s of the way. Then wrap is around itself and underneath the cam gear towards the center of the engine. Loop the other end of the belt onto the crank gear and after a few turns it will be secure enough to break free.
see attached pic for reference.

Also if the cam bolt tight in there and you start stripping the bolt. You might want to consider taking a dremel and cutting the flange of the bolt off. The more of the bolts clamping surface you remove, the easier it is to remove the bolt. This is what happened to me when I tried to change the seals.

BW

Hondasucks 10-07-2009 10:45 PM

That's why I like the Subaru tool that holds the cam so you can undo the bolt, but they're freakin expensive. Same with the tool that holds the crank sprocket (Works great for tightening the bolt, makes sure it won't come out, and makes sure that aftermarket shops have a real fun time trying to get it off :P)

I need to do the T belt on mine, but in addition to that it needs all the shaft seals, the oil pump seal, cam cover seals, and spark plugs... :eek:

s'ko 10-08-2009 08:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hondasucks (Post 620740)
That's why I like the Subaru tool that holds the cam so you can undo the bolt, but they're freakin expensive. Same with the tool that holds the crank sprocket (Works great for tightening the bolt, makes sure it won't come out, and makes sure that aftermarket shops have a real fun time trying to get it off :P)

I need to do the T belt on mine, but in addition to that it needs all the shaft seals, the oil pump seal, cam cover seals, and spark plugs... :eek:

Yeah, but you have access to all of those sweet tools. :drool: The rest of us
have to make due w/what we can figure out

ohh.. and I think I also need to do the t-belts soon.

80k? is the recommended mileage right?

SoCal LS-L 10-09-2009 12:50 PM

60K, but ive seen subarus that have gone over 3 times that on the factory belt, so I wouldnt stress over it, just do it when you have time.