The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Upcoming Meets (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   florida meet on may 16th (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=50142)

solarsvx 05-05-2009 10:13 AM

florida meet on may 16th

i know i don’t post much more these days, but I am having a car meet and greet at my house on Saturday may 16that 9.00 pm, it is located near Valancia and lake underhill, in east orlando

the gathering starts at 9 and open to anyone,

beer,wine, and cigars will be provided

please PM me or Email for a invite

solarsvx77@aol.com

maynardg 05-05-2009 04:44 PM

Re: florida meet on may 16th

My transmission is still in pieces, or I'd be there.

nsm484 05-06-2009 12:06 AM

if orlando wasn't so far away ;-/

solarsvx 05-06-2009 07:02 AM

maybe we can line something up some other time, a place that is close to eveyone

longassname 05-06-2009 09:41 AM

I'm now offering partial rebuilds for $999 (assuming it isn't literally in pieces and doesn't have hard parts damage). Having rebuilt dozens of these things now I have found that they almost always fail in the same few places most of which are caused by a failing high clutch.

The SVX version of the 4eat has the strongest clutch pack arrangement of the OE 4eat transmissions (phase 1 transmissions) but the high clutch still isn't quite strong enough to hold well with the heavy svx. It slips at light cruise while the rpms are low. This is a clutch pack capacity/fluid pressure problem. When the high clutch slips while you are cruising around at speed it wears quickly and creates a lot of heat. The reverse clutch frictions spline into the outside of the high clutch drum. Since the reverse clutch frictions are riding on the high clutch drum they catch a lot of the heat from a failing high clutch. On the earlier models which have smaller reverse clutch frictions they are not able to disperse the heat quickly enough and fail along with the high clutch. The brake band operates on the reverse clutch drum and also becomes a victim of the heat from a failing high clutch. About 80% of SVX transmission failures are these high clutch with accompanying brake band and on the early production units reverse clutch failures.

Almost all of the remaining 20% of failures are a crumbled thrust bearing on the nose of the rear support caused by overheating of the bearing which hardens it until it crumbles. This can be prevented by installing a good aftermarket atf cooler and not using the oe atf cooler at all (the cooler in the radiator is a huge restriction and it should not be used). In addition, when I build a transmission (or a valve body)I modify the valve body to increase the lubrication flow to prevent this. A failed bearing causes a lot of hard parts damage. I can not do a partial rebuild on one of these transmissions and prefer not to rebuild them at all. A transmission that has failed in this way will have bearing rollers in the pan. If someone sends me one as a core they do not get their core charge back.

Since the rest of the clutch packs are always in relatively good condition I can do partial rebuilds of SVX transmissions that don't have the failed bearing at a very affordable price. I replace only the bad parts in these transmissions--upgrading the high clutch with better frictions and more frictions to increase its torque holding capacity so it doesn't slip anymore and modifying the valve body to increase the clutch apply pressure to further increase its torque holding capacity. With these partial rebuilds you end up with a transmission that shifts very fast and no longer has the weeknesses which take out almost all SVX transmissions.

There's no longer any reason for SVX owners to live in fear of an inevitable transmission failure that will cost more than their car is worth to repair. If you use a good aftermarket cooler and completely bypass the cooler in the radiator you won't get hard parts damage and when your high clutch and brake band do start showing symptoms if you send it to me to be rebuilt/upgraded you can get it back much better than ever for an affordable price.

Quote:

Originally Posted by maynardg (Post 600237)
My transmission is still in pieces, or I'd be there.

longassname 05-06-2009 09:42 AM

I say we do the 1/4 mile track at west palm.

Quote:

Originally Posted by solarsvx (Post 600312)
maybe we can line something up some other time, a place that is close to eveyone

Johnybeas 05-06-2009 02:08 PM

my svx is in utah till august but I'd come in my integra... lol

bwb3 05-06-2009 05:36 PM

Orlando would be an easy ride but the timing was a conflict. How about a mid-point like an event at Sebring? My son was there Tuesday for filming (IMV Films) of the One Lap of America trials. Easy day drive. They then came to Gainesville Raceway for the drag trials and today went to Daytonal Raceway for the finals. The Gumball Rally is coming through Gainesville tomorrow. Not sure where they started.
Gene

longassname 05-06-2009 06:18 PM

orlando is kind of a haul for me but at least there I've got a girl I can crash with. I don't know anyone in sebring.

solarsvx 05-07-2009 08:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bwb3 (Post 600385)
Orlando would be an easy ride but the timing was a conflict. How about a mid-point like an event at Sebring? My son was there Tuesday for filming (IMV Films) of the One Lap of America trials. Easy day drive. They then came to Gainesville Raceway for the drag trials and today went to Daytonal Raceway for the finals. The Gumball Rally is coming through Gainesville tomorrow. Not sure where they started.
Gene

my best friend john is there on one lap racing with john miller in the m5

he will be at my place on saturday

ridered777 05-07-2009 07:29 PM

I'll be there.

I'm still SVX-less though, as my front diff is still grenaded. I'll be in the mud-covered Jeep Wrangler. :)

I'll send you an email for exact directions... I'm on Econlockhatchee Trail. My friend lives at Chickisaw/Lake Underhill though, Want me to see if he comes out? He's got a 350Z, he's a drifter.

DBOZ 05-08-2009 06:46 PM

Wish I could be there. My SVX is kicking ass still! Just license problems with the law, and going out of town for a few weeks. Let me know, im stuck in this state till college is over next year.
Darrell

solarsvx 05-12-2009 11:18 AM

tuesday bump, open meet for this saturday night