The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   General SVX Babble (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Getting that smoker smell out (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=42142)

BenSVX 12-02-2007 09:17 PM

Getting that smoker smell out

Just picked up the new addition to the family - well kept, great looking car - and its a 5 spd. Unfortunately, however, the previous owner(s) smoked and that all too familiar smoker smell has saturated the interior of the car.

What are the best methods of removing the smell either myself or through a detail shop? Also - what's this I've read of a stock air purifier in the UK Spec?

Thanks,
Ben

P.S. I will post pics of the new ride in a new thread in the upcoming week.

redlightningsvx 12-02-2007 09:50 PM

saturate the inside with febreeze and keep all window up then a couple hours later let all the windows down to let it air out

Speedklix 12-02-2007 09:56 PM

take up smoking??

When I dated I wouldn't even kiss a girl who smoked ...ended things quick. It is pretty much the single biggest turn off for me.

pavanbabut 12-02-2007 10:02 PM

I just hate tht cigar smell in cars (no offense towards in car smokers :),its just that I cant handle cigar smell), actually thts the first thing I always see when buyin a used car (well all my cars as far as my previous owners say are non smoking cars :p). Even then to get rid of previous smell from the car I spray perfume to my cabin airfilter in both my 164(s) every 3 months, now both my cars smell the same. But coming to SVX, I am not sure if we have such kind of cabin air filter, I usually leave a small bottle of car perfume (which I got it from India, very strong but mild smell) in the center console and now it smells exactly like tht.

-Pavan

reptar_head 12-02-2007 10:20 PM

I work at a dealership, and when we get trade-ins that smell like smoke, we use "The Terminator". It's a machine that you put inside the car with all the windows up, and it emits concentrated ozone. Ozone kills practically everything, so we leave it in there overnight and it does it's job. It's the only thing I've found that really works. For the first few days after it's done, it smells kind of funky, like ionized air. However, after a week or so all smells are gone and you're left with a pretty neutral smelling car. I've used it on my own vehicles, and it works damn well. Any detail shop should have one, as well as any major dealerships.

Landshark 12-02-2007 10:26 PM

http://www.pilotstore.com/images/upload/items/ozium.gif

"OZIUM Glycol-ized Air Sanitizer was originally developed to combat airborne bacteria and germs in hospitals and health care facilities. Now it's available for your home, car, office, airplane and boat.

OZIUM Glycol-ized Air Sanitizer is a unique product that cleans the air you breathe. It is clinically proven to eliminate oders with glycol-ized action...dispensing micron sized particales that linger in air and attach it airborne bacteria and oders to drastically reduce air pollution, deoderize, purify and sanitize the air."

+

cigarette lighter 12V powered ionizer
http://www.ccrane.com/images/medium/...er-ionizer.jpg

air out the car well afterwards if you use the Ozium.....

nextse7en 12-02-2007 10:31 PM

Its not a well known fact, but electrostatic based air fresheners, like the one above, create a lot of ozone, which will clean out that funky smell, but its not something you want to breathe for prolonged periods. Ozone is essentially oxygen with an positively charged ion attached, and while it won't kill you, increased headaches and other side effects have been known to result. Your milage may vary.

Most used car lots have a high powered ozone machine that they use to get that smell out, take it down to Joe's Car Lot and have them blast it for an hour with that thing, then its gone for good.

-Patrick

reptar_head 12-02-2007 10:52 PM

Yeah I forgot to mention the part about how bad it is for you. When we put the machine in a car, we have to hang a big sign on the side that says "WARNING concentrated ozone, do not enter the area!" So when it's time to move the car out, we open the doors and run away and leave it air out for a while before anyone actually gets in it to move it.

It's Just Eric 12-02-2007 10:56 PM

.....does anyone else see the irony that used car dealerships could hold the key to fixing the hole in the ozone layer?

ensteele 12-02-2007 11:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by It's Just Eric (Post 512553)
.....does anyone else see the irony that used car dealerships could hold the key to fixing the hole in the ozone layer?

I had not thought of it before, but it is very obvious to me now.

BenSVX 12-03-2007 08:35 AM

Thanks to all that replied - looks like I will be bringing her to a detailer to Ozone the smell out in a few weeks.

Will let ya'll know how it works out.

SilverSpear 12-03-2007 08:57 AM

Com'on man! some pix :D

SubaSteevo 12-03-2007 09:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by It's Just Eric (Post 512553)

"It’s absolutely stupid that we live without an ozone layer. We have men, we’ve got rockets, we’ve got saran wrap – FIX IT!!"
-Lewis Black

It's Just Eric 12-03-2007 11:06 AM

no, but honestly, everyone's *****ing and moaning about global warming...seems everyone is concerned more with cow farts than the huge gaping hole in the ozone layer. If it's really that easy to MAKE ozone, then there HAS to be a fix for it.

Landshark 12-03-2007 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by It's Just Eric (Post 512640)
no, but honestly, everyone's *****ing and moaning about global warming...seems everyone is concerned more with cow farts than the huge gaping hole in the ozone layer. If it's really that easy to MAKE ozone, then there HAS to be a fix for it.

don't fix it! i enjoy the mild winters.

<goes outside to spray aerosol cans in the air....>