The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   25th Anniversary Meet (2017) (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=60)
-   -   It all starts here (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=63901)

svxcess 05-01-2016 01:08 AM

It all starts here

http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/atta...1&d=1476467915

This thread is about the celebration of the 25th Anniversary of the SVX in 2017.

The SVX 10th Anniversary Meet was held in Lafayette, Indiana in July of 2002. which was also the home of Subaru Isuzu Automotive (SIA), now known as Subaru Indiana Automotive. It was a resounding success (96 SVXs came and more than 100 people).

Many automotive sources are indicating that the Lafayette plant will be producing a new 2 door sports coupe (possibly hybrid) to their lineup in 2017, mainly for the US Market. The project is currently referred to as the SVX, but that name could change before production.

So it seems appropriate that the 25th Anniversary Celebration should be held in Lafayette at SIA, where the new generation will roll off the production line 25 years after the first SVX. Would be fantastic to watch that car actually roll off the line.

Production scheduling and details are still unavailable, but it if inferred that production could actually begin in late fall, 2016, as a 2017 model.

So if this is the way we want to proceed, we would first need the initial production date as a starting point. Once that happens, we can start a poll of available dates for the meet.

If an SIA plant tour is to be a definite part of this, then tour arrangements have to be factored in. The tour information for 2016 is in the next post. The updated 2017 tour schedule will be posted when it becomes available.

svxcess 05-01-2016 01:12 AM

Sia plant tour information

1 Attachment(s)

svxcess 05-01-2016 01:33 AM

Hotel information

1 Attachment(s)

LAFAYETTE HOTEL INFORMATION

Now in keeping a bit of the established tradition of the 10th Anniversary Meet, The two hotels that we occupied then were right across the parking lot from each other, They were the Homewood Suites in Lafayette and the Hampton Inn in Lafayette Each are less than 4 miles from SIA and 10 minutes

HOMEWOOD SUITES
3939 South Street
Lafayette, Indiana, 47905
(765) 448-9700

Homewood Suites Website

http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/atta...1&d=1462087464

HAMPTON INN HOTEL
3941 South Street
Lafayette, IN 47905
(765) 447-1600

Hampton Inn Website

http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/atta...1&d=1462115614

svxcess 05-01-2016 01:59 AM

Re: It all starts here

Alternative Options Realistically we have about a year to pull this off. The Reading X PPG Pace Car Meet took longer than that.

If Lafayette proves to be too problematic, can anyone else suggest a location (other than Morgantown, PA) where you would consider going to?

Keep in mind that back in 2002 at the Tenth Anniversary Meet, The oldest cars were 10 years old and the youngest one were just barely 6. Most had mileage of less than 90K and parts were plentiful.

Jump ahead 15 years. The oldest is now 25 years old and the youngest cars almost 20. Even at 10,000 miles a year, these cars range between 150,000 and 25,000 miles with essential parts becoming scarce.

All this means is that we all don't necessarily have to drive our own cars to wherever the meet is being held. There will probably be many local SVXs close by to attend and represent the marque, Those further away could just arrange to fly in for the festivities and reconnect with members.

We just need some sort of agreed upon direction and as many options and ideas that we can entertain

I still have my many contacts as SOA in Cherry Hill, The Drive and Drive Performance editors, Curator of the "Performance Attic" and some original contacts still at Lafayette. I am sure they would help us out greatly. How many members like us do they come across who are as passionate and determined to keep this marque alive; a car that is a quarter-century old and one the has been discontinued and out of production for 20 years?

Subaru is all about customer loyalty and this is great PR.

All ideas and suggestions are sincerely welcomed and encouraged. Their wil be many areas that need committees and members. Publicity, hotel accommodations, arrangements and commitments through Subaru and their PR department. Ideas for other events, scenic drives or convoy to places of interest (such as the Indy Museum). Restaurant investigation for group dinners, etc., parts raffle, swap meet, ideas for impromptu tech sessions

Much of this has to be done by local members in the area with familiarity of the conditions and offerings, checking out local restaurants. current road conditions to avoid construction, detours and congestion if a scenic drive is planned. I am sure we can all unite to pull this off. This may be the last significant milestone meet for these cars ever.

svxcess 05-01-2016 10:46 AM

Here are two uploaded videos from the 10th Anniversary Meet. Arrival at the hotels, preliminary activities, and on the way to SIA. Have not been seen by many members and those that were there remember them vividly.

Now this is how a parking lot should look...

And one of the very first SVX meets in 2001. "Springtime in the Smokies"

That thread can be found HERE and photos HERE

SVXBart 05-01-2016 08:17 PM

Wow ,just Wow.
Watching those clips made me wish to be there.
I do plan to be on 25th anniversary.
It is not IF,it is WHEN it hapens.
Cmon people lets do this again!!!!

trueblue 05-01-2016 09:24 PM

:):p;):D:D:D:D:)

SubaruPartsGirl 05-03-2016 06:37 AM

If we can get this together you can count myself and my husband in. I may not have the full time for driving out there but I would happily fly in and rent a car for the date, I don't have an SVX to show off anyway. We would love to do the plant tour! Let me know if there is anything I can do to help!

SVX_MY_BABY 05-03-2016 07:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SubaruPartsGirl (Post 743903)
If we can get this together you can count myself and my husband in. I may not have the full time for driving out there but I would happily fly in and rent a car for the date, I don't have an SVX to show off anyway. We would love to do the plant tour! Let me know if there is anything I can do to help!

Still time to buy one and get it in shape.:lol:

SubaruPartsGirl 05-03-2016 09:02 AM

The only reason I don't own one is just simply the finances. I already have a 2008 Forester in need of head gaskets and a 2003 WRX that is a constant money pit. I worry that I wouldn't have enough money to keep an SVX in good running shape as repairs can often exceed that of the WRX due to age and limited part availability/manufacturing.

Just this weekend I was driving the WRX and one of the clamps on the FMIC pipe down in the fender blew apart and my husband and I had to push the car about 8 blocks to our house. She's a temperamental turd but she's long been paid for so she's gonna stick around a while. One day if I come across something pristine and a fat bag of money I will be sure to pick one up!

huck369 05-03-2016 10:05 AM

I plan to attend... Hopefully in a SVX....Will do what I can to help out.

Stevebsy 05-03-2016 09:39 PM

As they guy who did the 10th Anniversary SVXWN Merchandising, I would be willing to do that again for the 25th meet. Hats, Shirts, Mugs, ??? etc..

As someone who was there 14 years ago, I'd prefer the Lafayette location for the 'big' meet.

Hope I can get my same SVX I had at the 10th repainted in time for the 25th.

wdb 05-04-2016 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SVX_MY_BABY (Post 743904)
Still time to buy one and get it in shape.:lol:

Buy one AND get it shape? Maybe one of two! :lol: I'm searching high and low for a rental. No luck yet!

Ron Mummert 05-06-2016 11:09 AM

As an attendee of both the '01 Smokies, AND the 10th anniversary meets, I could probably coax the semi-pristine ebony from beneath the carport for a summer road trip. Let's see how it goes. :cool:

Ron.

huck369 05-06-2016 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ron Mummert (Post 743924)
As an attendee of both the '01 Smokies, AND the 10th anniversary meets, I could probably coax the semi-pristine ebony from beneath the carport for a summer road trip. Let's see how it goes. :cool:

Ron.

Smokies Meet is were we met for the first time Ron......But we're both still hanging around.....:)