The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   4 eat autos (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=62476)

carlhoffmann 01-22-2014 06:23 PM

4 eat autos

I have 8 svx cars in storage which get very little use. on 4 of them i get clunking and shudder, i put 2 tubes of dr trannys in each...problem solved...but for how long i dont know as i only go around the block once a month , no further as they are not legal on the road [unregistered] has anyone else used this product and had any success.

longassname 01-23-2014 08:20 AM

Re: 4 eat autos

I'm not familiar with that product. I use http://lubegard.com/~/C-113/LUBEGARD...ATF+Protectant which prevents the transfer clutch binding you are describing, extends fluid life, and makes the transmission run cooler and shift nicely.

Most ad ins are friction modifiers. Lots of them work to prevent the transfer clutch binding. You can even use lsd additives. The lubegard atf protectant and platinum atf protectant are the gold standard for atf additives though.

carlhoffmann 01-23-2014 09:33 AM

dr trannys is a lubegard product made in the USA .

SURTEESS 01-23-2014 10:33 AM

Carl,

you should arrange another BBQ at yours - then we could take them all out at once !!!

longassname 01-23-2014 11:30 AM

So it is..

Is it a lot less expensive?

carlhoffmann 01-23-2014 02:28 PM

thanks longassname, for over 50 years i was a car dealer and for the last 10 years a subaru dealer, i retired 24 years ago , ive always been wary of additives bardahl motor up..stp and all the other gunk shoved in engines, the only ones i would ever use are chemiweld [for cracked heads and pourus blocks. but i was surprised how lubegard [dr trannys] worked. for how long i dont know..im a subaru addict from my first drive in a 1300cc gsports 1972.forget the 1400cc disaster after that, i also love the earlier vortex [alycone in the states].my first was a 360cc sub..

carlhoffmann 01-24-2014 02:27 AM

lubegards dr tranny is on ebay about $6 us a tube, postage to nz more than doubles the price. there are many retailers selling it on ebay.

longassname 01-24-2014 07:20 PM

I suppose the shipping would be even worse for the atf protectant since they are many times the ounces--unless you found a retailer that will use usps flate rate shipping.

ShaneHobson 02-10-2014 12:58 AM

I park in an underground car park and have to make four tight 3 point turns every day to get in and out of my car park. On every turn my car would shudder and it fought against the transmission to make the tight turns.

On Carl's recommendation I bought two tubes of Dr Tranny's

Thanks for the 2 tubes of Dr Tranny (I still owe you for the second pair of tubes). I poured it into my transmission down the filler pipe.

As promised, the binding problem has gone completely.

Thank you Carl, another troubling problem solved.

THE NEW GUY 02-10-2014 07:45 AM

I have the contrary problem: no rear transmission until I press the gas more than 1/3. And then a sudden shock. In the snow, this is critical because the front wheels are spinning, the speedometer shows up to 40kph, but the car is not moving until I press the gas a little more. the sudden shock indicates that the rear wheels are engaged and then the car moves. I changed the transmission last year and I open the tail cover (where the solenoid C is located). I used silicone to close it again (no gasked).

NiftySVX 02-10-2014 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by THE NEW GUY (Post 731933)
I have the contrary problem: no rear transmission until I press the gas more than 1/3. And then a sudden shock. In the snow, this is critical because the front wheels are spinning, the speedometer shows up to 40kph, but the car is not moving until I press the gas a little more. the sudden shock indicates that the rear wheels are engaged and then the car moves. I changed the transmission last year and I open the tail cover (where the solenoid C is located). I used silicone to close it again (no gasked).

Your Duty C is bad.

THE NEW GUY 02-11-2014 06:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NiftySVX (Post 731940)
Your Duty C is bad.

ok. that's what I thought. thanks.

NiftySVX 02-11-2014 07:46 PM

Careful about driving it with it in that condition, it can break the clutch hub off. It is an easy repair.

THE NEW GUY 02-13-2014 06:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NiftySVX (Post 732001)
Careful about driving it with it in that condition, it can break the clutch hub off. It is an easy repair.

Yea, I suffer every time I feel the kick on the back. I think I'll put the FWD fuse until external temp let me work on the car.