The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   European Forum (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Front door speakers: suggestions (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=22402)

svxistentialist 11-03-2004 03:29 AM

Front door speakers: suggestions

I am thinking of changing the front door speakers, and I would like to know if anyone has suggestions for replacements.

First, a question or two. Not having taken off the door panel, the opening looks to be elliptical, but I suspect the speakers are round inside. Can anyone confirm this? Phil?

Second question; assuming I am correct, and they are round, is the size 6.5" ?

Third question; are the original speakers in the door full-range speakers, or are they mid-range speakers, seeing as how we have tweeters in the dash?

Last but not least, has anyone changed the speakers in their car and got a worthwhile sound improvement? If so, can you recommend the Make / Model?

Ta

Joe:)

b3lha 11-03-2004 05:01 AM

Yes Joe, the speakers are round 6.5 inch - and made of paper.

They are glued and/or spot welded to mounting rings. You need to separate the old speakers from the mounting rings and then attach the rings to your new speakers. I drilled them and used small bolts, but you could probably use epoxy.

It only takes a couple of minutes to pop the door panel off and then everything will become clear to you.

We took the old speaker to a car stereo shop and asked them what they had. Ended up buying some pioneer three-way speakers with metallic cones for about 40 quid. They are quite shallow so they fit easily into the door. I'm not a stereo expert but they sound pretty good to me.

We previously replaced the rear speakers with some two-way Alpine 6x9's. That was a much more difficult job.

Phil.

TonyShaleUK 11-03-2004 10:51 AM

Hi Joe.

I fitted a pair of Alpine 2-ways in the doors - don't know the model, got rid of the box! The rears I replaced with JVC CSXV6930 three-ways. As Phil says, not such a simple job as the doors! Also, the 3 ways can be quite deep, so putting the parcel shelf back can be tricky.

Much better sound tho'. Course, depends on whether you have a decent head unit in the first place!!

Earthworm 11-03-2004 11:05 AM

There are a couple of removal instructions on http://svx-iw.com/

Just click Troubleshooting-->Electrical Parts

svxistentialist 11-03-2004 12:57 PM

Thanks guys.

Will check into this lot.

Nobody confirmed if the OE speakers are mid-range or full-range.

I suspect they are not full-range, simply because the tweeters are in the system.

Cheers

Joe

Earthworm 11-03-2004 02:48 PM

You are right, they are mid range only even though they receive a full range signal.

SVXRide 11-03-2004 03:07 PM

while you're at it, I'd suggest installing cones behind each speaker (do a search of the site - there was a thread a while back in which someone actually posted the link to a supplier) which will prevent moisture from getting to the speaker. I'd also suggest installing some "FatMat" or similar sound deadener to the door (not to the door panel) to eliminate/minimize "buzzing" of the door panel from heavy bass notes.
-Bill

svxistentialist 11-03-2004 03:47 PM

Thanks David, thanks Bill.

Sound advice, both.

Nyuk, nyuk, that just snuck in there.:D

I will check up on the cones, did not know anything about that.

Had already decided to apply the sound deadening material though.

[Want to keep all the bass inside the car, and leave the neighbours unmolested];)

Nobody 11-30-2004 02:47 PM

Hi Joe, just put my 10 cents.
I replaced door ones by Sony two way and I have thougt I have tweeters installed on my dashbord. During instalation I did through cleaning and removed "tweeter's" covers - no tweeter installed. It is quite easy to install ones but my car came from Subaru factory not equiped with tweeters. As you probably know me as a person who want to have its car to be as much as original, I just replaced the old ones at doors (original one costs aprox. 300USD per each here:-). No noticable sound improvement but i do not care.
Peter

svxistentialist 11-30-2004 03:18 PM

Thanks for the 10c Peter

:D

Hard to figure you have no tweeters. Having said that, I better check mine!

Sound is pretty good in both my cars. The JDM one has the separate CD[single play] and radio/tape. The sound is good, but at high volume on bassy material, there is a lot of buzzing from the passenger [lhs] door. This is mainly due to damage done by would-be thieves with a screwdriver that I never fixed. Reason I asked about speaker sizes, I am going to strip down the door now and fix it, and thought a better more bass capable midrange unit in the doors would be a good upgrade.

The English car has a single DIN unit that plays tapes and radio, and controls a CD changer in the boot. For the type of music I listen to, the sound is excellent.

Is it possible that the stereo was changed in your car at some stage, and someone removed the tweeters because there was no cross-over?

Joe

b3lha 12-01-2004 09:16 AM

I remember reading that some SVX's come without the tweeters.

In fact, I think the UK brochure mentions a "4 speaker stereo system" fitted as standard

I've never checked to see if our car has anything behind the grilles but I assume that it does. Do you have them in both cars?

svxistentialist 12-01-2004 10:20 AM

Dunno Phil.

Interesting one. I will pry out the grills and see if both are Tweet petite.

Joe.
:D

Nobody 12-04-2004 06:27 AM

As for my car, no chages with stereo system were made before i replaced door speakers. I have checked holes for tweeters carefully and no signs of removing or making any changes. You better check yours :-).
Petr

Nobody 12-07-2004 05:26 AM

Hi Joe, so have you checked out your tweeters. I am curious:-)
Petr

svxistentialist 12-07-2004 06:03 AM

Tweetle Dumb and Tweetle Dee

Yep, you're right Petr. The English car has blank grills, no tweeters inside.

The JDM car has tweeters wired up in the dash. This car has the two piece stereo, double DIN size as they say.

On the 93 Euro model, there is a single DIN headunit in the middle of the opening, this unit controls the boot CD changer as well as being a cassette receiver.

Joe:)