The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Smallcar auto shift kit fine tuning (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=25844)

NikFu S. 04-29-2005 11:05 AM

Smallcar auto shift kit fine tuning

Recieved and install this kit yesterday.
Ran it to my friends house. The lag shifting at 4k rpm was pretty much eliminated, but I wanted more ofcourse.
I went in and cranked the turny dealy like 3 revs, plugged it back in and got a 16 count power code. Probably the tranny resistor. Not too worried about it. Took it on the highway. Nice firm shifts. Low speed was a little rough. I cranked it down a bit. Power code, still too firm, cranked it down again, totalling maybe a full crank, so about two from the original value, which would be like 8 or something. Still getting the power code.

Hok, question to everyone who's installed this, how far did you crank it, what direction, did you get power codes, if so do you want to avoid them.

------------------------------

Some guy walked up to me before I was about to do this yesterday asking about the SVX. Talon guy from Kansas, said he's never seen one but he knew what it was :D mmm wow factor.
I feel important. :D :D

NikFu S. 04-29-2005 11:38 AM

Oh yeah my valve cover gaskets are pretty much bunked. Has anyone ever changed those with the engine still in the bay? Is it a PITA?

n00b on demand 04-29-2005 12:41 PM

There are a few members that have installed the shift kit and get the blinking power light. And as far as the valve cover gaskets im sure they can be replaced without pulling the whole engine.

AFBeefcake 04-29-2005 12:48 PM

Did your shift kit come with a resistor attached between two of its terminals? If not then that is your problem. Mine did the same thing until I fixed it, and smallcar said that they were going to include the resistor with all new orders.

NikFu S. 04-29-2005 12:52 PM

It has the resistor.

nordique14 04-29-2005 04:44 PM

The amount you fine tune the little screw does not affect the error code. The reason you did not get the blinking power light the first time is that it the error code has to be tripped twice before it decides to let you know. Just in case the first time was a fluke. If your kit has the little resistor, you might have hooked it up to the wrong posts. To test, criuse down the road in 4th at 50-60mph. Throw it into 3rd and watch the RPMs. If they jump up, you probably have the shift kit installed correctly. If the RPMs fall, then you probably have the wires attached to the wrong posts. Don’t know if that would trip the error code or not, but it is probably worth checking out anyway.

-Matt

NikFu S. 04-29-2005 05:10 PM

There's only two posts. Could it be backwards?

nordique14 04-29-2005 05:57 PM

Didn't know the new ones have only two posts. The old ones have 3 posts and some people (cough...me...cough) hooked up the wires to the wrong posts.

NikFu S. 04-29-2005 06:41 PM

It appears there was a third one in the middle but it was cut off. I'll just readjust it later to a softer setting and see if it makes a difference but I doubt it.
I doubt it matters much.

immortal_suby 04-30-2005 07:12 AM

I get the power light but I have the early 3 post, no resistor version. I don't care about the powerlight.

I set mine by cranking it all the way tight and then backing off a turn.