The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   General SVX Babble (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Towed and Screwed (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=45167)

daluvabull 06-16-2008 09:03 PM

Towed and Screwed

Here's the skinny...

Car impounded on traffic stop May-30- didn't realize local school district police could pull you over on a freeway, expensive lesson learned. Officers were informed that a flatbed was required. Officers said the tow company was liable for any damage. SVX towed approximately 1 mile on rear wheels.

June-4, the transmission begins to slip in 2nd and 3rd and binds in tight slow turns. Also a new vibration from the rear is felt 60-80 mph.

The power light blinks at start. I have yet to run diagnosis.

Transmission was rebuilt August 2005 and again latter May 2007.

Suggestions for next course of action would be greatly appreciated.

Signed

Tired of rebuild expenses

redlightningsvx 06-16-2008 09:16 PM

Re: Towed and Screwed

Well if the towing company is liable for damages then they should pay for a tranny.

JLHollowX13 06-16-2008 11:32 PM

why did they impound your car in the first place? did you not have insurance, or something like that? if you dont mind me asking, im just curious as to why they would impound a car on a traffic stop. :confused:

Wikedjuggalo 06-16-2008 11:46 PM

Well I believe a new transmission is in order on behalf of the Tow Company

daluvabull 06-17-2008 05:03 AM

The local school police did not feel I stopped soon or long enough- we not even close to any school. I was charged with felony evading with a motor vehicle. Seems in Texas any peace officer can pull you over anywhere- regardless of jurisdiction. Expensive lesson learned.

dcarrb 06-17-2008 05:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daluvabull (Post 552320)
Suggestions for next course of action would be greatly appreciated.

Hire an attorney. You won't get jack out of the towing company without some sort of legal muscle, and even then I suspect the chances of financial recovery are remote. The arresting officer will likely shrug and shake his head if questioned about your statement regarding a flatbed tow.

Felony evading sounds serious; your lawyer's first order of business probably should be dealing with that.

dcb

TomsSVX 06-17-2008 05:45 AM

towing on the rear wheels less than a mile will not kill your transmission... Sorry

Tom

Guyver280z 06-17-2008 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TomsSVX (Post 552369)
towing on the rear wheels less than a mile will not kill your transmission... Sorry

Tom

What if they tow the car while the tranny is on Parking???:confused:

TomsSVX 06-17-2008 02:27 PM

Same deal... The rear drive is connected by a clutch pack only... towing it a mile won't kill it. Might hurt the AWD performance but will not destroy the transmission

Tom

Zandar 06-17-2008 03:33 PM

Have you talked with the tow company, yet? If you go hiring an attorney, and the tow company is willing to cooperate already, you'll be on the hook for attorney's fees. If the tow company is willing to play ball (which they almost never are, but you have to give them the chance to) there is almost nothing to be gained from hiring a lawyer. Just one man's opinion.

daluvabull 06-17-2008 03:47 PM

All replies are appreciated.

Yes, a lawyer has been retained. I will just let him do his best to get the charge reduced.

I will ask my mechanic to check out the transmission, once the power light codes are analyzed. Hopefully, the transmission is still under warranty from last spring- Tom's experience and knowledge is respected.

If not, time for a manual swap. The interior was just redone, new stereo, and all new bushings- no clunks. Would like to keep the SVX for at least 2 more years. It has about 176K now.

Again, your comments are appreciated.

subi-crosser 06-17-2008 09:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daluvabull (Post 552454)
All replies are appreciated.

Yes, a lawyer has been retained. I will just let him do his best to get the charge reduced.

I will ask my mechanic to check out the transmission, once the power light codes are analyzed. Hopefully, the transmission is still under warranty from last spring- Tom's experience and knowledge is respected.

If not, time for a manual swap. The interior was just redone, new stereo, and all new bushings- no clunks. Would like to keep the SVX for at least 2 more years. It has about 176K now.

Again, your comments are appreciated.

I pull Subis all the time on a dolly. The 'INSTRUCTIONS say, "Leave ignition on accessory". I have never hurt one.

daluvabull 06-17-2008 10:11 PM

A dolly was not used.

SubaruSVXCrazy 06-17-2008 10:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redlightningsvx (Post 552322)
Well if the towing company is liable for damages then they should pay for a tranny.

Yea let 'em pay for a 5 speed swap. :D Yea that sucks tho.

SubaruSVXCrazy 06-17-2008 10:28 PM

Even if it was just a mile. It's still the guys job.