The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   General SVX Babble (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   JDM vs. U.S. vs. U.K. vs. Canadian SVX models (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=35041)

dwd1985 09-05-2006 08:30 PM

JDM vs. U.S. vs. U.K. vs. Canadian SVX models

Why is there so much difference between all of these different models of the SVX, and why is it that the U.S. model seems like the crappiest (well, maybe Canadas). I know JDM got TONS of other options, AND a better gear ratio. Also, the UK climate control is much cooler then our U.S. ones. Can anyone explain why Subaru would have done this? I seems like we got screwed.

b3lha 09-06-2006 03:13 AM

Well obviously they had to fit in with different regulations in different markets, but also the SVX was a big step forward for Subaru compared to the other cars they were selling at the time. I think they were experimenting, trying out different ideas. The SVX was originally a concept car after all.

This ties in with my theory about why the USA didn't get the VTD gearbox:

I think they didn't want to risk the new unproven gearbox in their biggest market. Maybe their testing highlighted the potential for early gearbox failures. So rather than risk the lemon laws, a mass recall and associated bad publicity, they played it safe and went with a beefed up legacy gearbox. Then they tested out the VTD on the rest of the world.

Unfortunately for us, it turns out that both types of gearbox suffer premature failures. :(

JDW-SVX 09-06-2006 03:18 AM

I have always thought that the reason why the US market did not get the VTD system was related to the fact that VTD cannot be operated in 2WD mode.

From what I understand, when cars are emissions tested in the US, they are run on a dyno to simulate a driving cycle. To ensure that this test could be performed on standard 2WD dynos, Subaru had to fit the "transfer clutch" type AWD transmission, which can be run in 2WD mode.

................does that sound plausible??

:confused:

:)

Jason.

JDW-SVX 09-06-2006 03:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dwd1985
Also, the UK climate control is much cooler then our U.S. ones.

I have always wondered about that too - all RHD SVXs got the :Dcool:D climate control system, whereas LHD ones did not!

That makes no sense to me! Why would Subaru manufacture two completely different climate control panels? After all, I am sure that the rest of the climate control system would be identical for both LHD and RHD models!!

What is even more confusing is that the owner's manual for my Australian delivered 1992 SVX describes the operation of both the RHD and LHD climate control systems!!

Jason.

b3lha 09-06-2006 03:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JDW-SVX
I have always thought that the reason why the US market did not get the VTD system was related to the fact that VTD cannot be operated in 2WD mode.

From what I understand, when cars are emissions tested in the US, they are run on a dyno to simulate a driving cycle. To ensure that this test could be performed on standard 2WD dynos, Subaru had to fit the "transfer clutch" type AWD transmission, which can be run in 2WD mode.

................does that sound plausible??

:)

Jason.

Surely there must be other cars in America which cannot be run on a 2WD dyno?

viking64 09-06-2006 07:06 AM

maybe it was a cost cutting exercise to keep the cost down. I know when I was in San Diego in 95 with US Navy, I could not believe how little a SVX there was, some $20,000 and the exchange rate was about.84, where in Aust it was $80,000. Sure taxes here have a lot to do with it, but we definitley got a higher spec model but few made it into the country - due to price I'd say.

shelfy 09-06-2006 09:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by b3lha
Surely there must be other cars in America which cannot be run on a 2WD dyno?

i'm sure there are. in most of colorado, emissions testing is required and the stations have an awd / full time 4wd dyno to do this.

Earthworm 09-06-2006 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shelfy
i'm sure there are. in most of colorado, emissions testing is required and the stations have an awd / full time 4wd dyno to do this.

How many stations had an AWD/4WD dyno in 1991/1992?

oab_au 09-06-2006 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Earthworm
How many stations had an AWD/4WD dyno in 1991/1992?

Yes I reckon that is the reason. When they were looking at the US in 90/91, the only 4WD or AWD were trucks or Land Cruisers/Patrols, etc. and I don't think they were subjected to the testing. The VTD can not run on a two wheel dyno, so the only choice was the Transfer box.

The high diff ratio is also an American trait. Nearly every car that they imported into the US had to have a high diff ratio, Nissans also had the higher ratios.

The Air Con looks like it also was a US design requirement, to make it more like the one they were use to, in the "Home of Air Conditioning".

The rest were just the different requirements of the different countries. Lights, reflectors, and the fuel maps, emissions controls were tailored to the country it was sent to. Like the non catalytic converter models

Harvey.;)

NeedForSpeed 09-07-2006 06:43 PM

Harvey,,

Could the VTD cars be run, without damage, on a rwd dyno if the front axles were removed?

Quote:

Originally Posted by oab_au
Yes I reckon that is the reason. When they were looking at the US in 90/91, the only 4WD or AWD were trucks or Land Cruisers/Patrols, etc. and I don't think they were subjected to the testing. The VTD can not run on a two wheel dyno, so the only choice was the Transfer box.

The high diff ratio is also an American trait. Nearly every car that they imported into the US had to have a high diff ratio, Nissans also had the higher ratios.

The Air Con looks like it also was a US design requirement, to make it more like the one they were use to, in the "Home of Air Conditioning".

The rest were just the different requirements of the different countries. Lights, reflectors, and the fuel maps, emissions controls were tailored to the country it was sent to. Like the non catalytic converter models

Harvey.;)

oab_au 09-08-2006 11:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NeedForSpeed
Harvey,,

Could the VTD cars be run, without damage, on a rwd dyno if the front axles were removed?

If the Diff Lock fuse is in, I guess you could. Though it would be better to run the front wheels on dolly rollers, the rear on the dyno rollers. Might be asking a bit much of the LSC to hold the front, 36% of the torque, for long.

Whacha dooing?
Harvey.;)

ensteele 09-09-2006 12:02 PM

I think that they just wanted to give us something to talk about. :rolleyes: ;) :D

US to CDN SVX 09-09-2006 10:50 PM

I have a US Model in Canada. Thus I have no heated seats in the Winter (The Canadian Models had these) but I have a crappy Security system made by a Calculator company that does not work (The Canadian Models did not come with Security systems) :rolleyes:

For a good laugh I like to put in my old 1992 VHS Tape and watch all the options being demo'd that came with the car.

dwd1985 09-09-2006 11:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by US to CDN SVX
I have a US Model in Canada. Thus I have no heated seats in the Winter (The Canadian Models had these) but I have a crappy Security system made by a Calculator company that does not work (The Canadian Models did not come with Security systems) :rolleyes:

For a good laugh I like to put in my old 1992 VHS Tape and watch all the options being demo'd that came with the car.

The heated seats are probably my biggest pet peeve with the regional differences in the SVX. Did the engineers in Japan really think to themselves "Only Eskimos live in Canada, lets give them heated seats. But America is farther south, so they must not get too cold, and wont need heated seats."
I WANT HEATED SEATS! IT GETS DAMN COLD IN COLORADO!!!!

kuroneko_sama 09-09-2006 11:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dwd1985
The heated seats are probably my biggest pet peeve with the regional differences in the SVX. Did the engineers in Japan really think to themselves "Only Eskimos live in Canada, lets give them heated seats. But America is farther south, so they must not get too cold, and wont need heated seats."
I WANT HEATED SEATS! IT GETS DAMN COLD IN COLORADO!!!!

i second that... nh gets pretty cold too (early am in feb has gotten to the neg 10-30 range... had the antifreeze freeze before...ironic isnt it)