The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Trans cooler mounting location (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=59497)

SVX8588 03-24-2012 06:41 PM

Trans cooler mounting location

1 Attachment(s)
I'm installing my new (to me) aluminum radiator (thanks Bobby and Old Tom!), but it doesn't have an internal trans cooler. I have a separate trans cooler but I'm trying to decide where to mount it.
The best spot seems to be right behind the grill, but in order for it to fit, I have it turned sideways. Does anyone know of a reason to not do it this way?
The only issue I see is that the license plate blocks half of it.
Thanks for any input.

http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/atta...1&d=1332636012

icingdeath88 03-24-2012 06:47 PM

Re: Trans cooler mounting location

Wouldn't it make more sense to put it on the other side? (mirrored to where it is basically). Since the stock trans cooler lines come out on that side.

But, yea, as long as it's not too fat to fit between the rad and condenser, that should work fine.

SVX8588 03-24-2012 06:53 PM

I was gonna put it on that side, except that the bracket for the temp sensor is in the way. I'm going to need to extend the trans hoses anyway.

It is too fat to fit between the condenser and radiator, so that's why I'm putting it all the way to the front.

On another note, I noticed that the power steering cooler was bypassed by the PO since it was rusted through. Do you think that's a problem? I'm using Wolf's Head synthetic ATF, so I hope I'll be ok without it.

92snowmachine 03-24-2012 07:21 PM

you can install the trans cooler in the driver fender well pretty easily, i think there is a write up about it. that's where i put my auxiliary cooler that looks to be about the same size as the one you have, and it would be easier to get to if you ever have to mess with it. power steering cooler isn't that needed unless you drive it hard through a lot of turns, but is very easy to add on if you want.

SVX8588 03-24-2012 08:29 PM

I think I'll keep it where it is in the picture. That way it'll get some air pulled through it by the fans when the car is stationary, and besides I already made brackets to mount it there. :p

I'm not worried about the power steering cooler much, but I may look at the one from my parts car to see if it'll hold fluid. I have everything apart anyway and I like having my car how it's supposed to be. :)

SVX8588 04-04-2012 07:35 PM

no cruise...

Ok, so now I think my tranny is too cool. :cool:
Not awesome cool, but not getting warm enough. I took it on a 4 hour trip (2 each way) and cruise control wouldn't work. The button light comes on, but when I try to set the speed nothing happens. As far as I could tell the torque converter is locking up. Driving at exactly 60 mph my tach reads exactly 2000 rpm. The speed limit was 55 most of the time, so I would think that cruise control would work normally after driving a few minutes at that speed.

Anyone have any ideas?

P.S. at the end of the trip I felt the cooler and hoses and they didn't feel much warmer than the outside air...

Huskymaniac 04-04-2012 08:56 PM

Go with a low capacity tube and fin cooler. Really, unless you are going to tow something or drive up a mountain in 100 degree heat, you don't need massive cooling capacity. Summitt Racing has a wide selection. I suppose you could also bypass some of the fluid going through the cooler.

1986nate 04-04-2012 09:42 PM

Re: no cruise...

Quote:

Originally Posted by SVX8588 (Post 701543)
Ok, so now I think my tranny is too cool. :cool:
Not awesome cool, but not getting warm enough. I took it on a 4 hour trip (2 each way) and cruise control wouldn't work. The button light comes on, but when I try to set the speed nothing happens. As far as I could tell the torque converter is locking up. Driving at exactly 60 mph my tach reads exactly 2000 rpm. The speed limit was 55 most of the time, so I would think that cruise control would work normally after driving a few minutes at that speed.

Anyone have any ideas?

P.S. at the end of the trip I felt the cooler and hoses and they didn't feel much warmer than the outside air...

The cruise not working has nothing to do with your cooler. Check the vacuum line that runs to the actuator from the pump. :)

icingdeath88 04-04-2012 09:46 PM

Re: no cruise...

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1986nate (Post 701557)
The cruise not working has nothing to do with your cooler. Check the vacuum line that runs to the actuator from the pump. :)

^This. You probably knocked it loose when you were messing with stuff.

http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=54483

SVX8588 04-05-2012 04:18 AM

Ok, I will check that out. For some reason I was under the impression that cruise doesn't work until the trans is "up to temperature".

Edit: It was just the hose off. You guys are so smart :)