The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   General SVX Babble (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Manual howtos? (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=719)

Seraph 06-27-2001 10:25 PM

Manual howtos?

Hey guys, I saw the manual kicking in at MWM by Mike. Now that I have a newly rebuilt tranny and differential, I can kick it a bit since I have some warranty time on it.

How do you make it shift that quickly? While shifting, did you guys ever get into the power mode? I know you move it up a gear whenever it hits around 6500.

Thanks
Lwin

BLKSVX92 06-27-2001 10:54 PM

When in maual mode, you can not engage power mode, the shifts are a bit delayed, so if you wanted it to **** at redline, put it in 2nd, just before it gets to 6500

1994SubaruSVX 06-28-2001 08:01 AM

i was reading in turbo magazine.....

last night, they did a top 25 questions for level 10. one of the questions was is it a good idea to manually shift an auto tranny. level 10 gave a resounding NO! they said unless it is an autostick or the shiftable tranny they have come out with you can actually hurt the tranny. they gave some technical reasons but hell i cant remember them. it was a pretty informative question and answer session. i should have bought the magazine just so i could post some stuff from it here.

Seraph 06-28-2001 08:07 AM

Thanks Leo.

Vern! 06-28-2001 10:35 AM

Downshifting is usually bad I will agree.

How is putting the transmission in manual(override) mode and upshifting at 6000RPM instead of the transmission upshifting at the more fuel efficient (EPA) 4500RPM bad?

I thought it was better to quickly accelerate from 50mph to 80mph in 3rd gear instead of 4th gear, the only way to do this is to have the car in "3", but isn't this sort of manual shifting?

Why would it be harmless for the TCU to change the shift points when accelerating in "power mode", but not the driver to change the shift points when accelerating in "manual" mode?

Enquiring minds want to know! ;)

BLKSVX92 06-28-2001 02:46 PM

10 years of driving (shifting manually at times) and ZERO problem with anything, especially tranny...so maybe its just me but it works for me and my svx

LordLobo 06-29-2001 07:18 AM

As a new member of the Church of Manual, I really don't see how >CORRECTLY< shifting with the Manual mode would be any worse or better than letting the TCU do it for you.

Note the emphisis on correctly. Personally, I think it's harder to do the Manual Trick with the SVX than it is to actually drive a manal transmission car. It's harder to get a good grip on your shift points, namely becuase you don't have to clutch in the normal way and letting off the gas to shift is bad. However, if you start to accelerate and then have to decelerate (say you're in town and someone comes out of their parking spot) it's real important to take it out of manual...lest you forget to downshift. If you do forget to downshift, you'll feel it and it won't feel good.

As a general rule, I wouldn't recommend using manual mode unless you were in low traffic, a more open area, or giving your full concentration to the manual method. It would take alot of practice to get really good at doing it all the time but I think it's better to learn how to do it, and then use it during appropriate drag races...