The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   General SVX Babble (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Looking at an SVX next Saturday (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=31513)

hayasa 02-13-2006 11:19 AM

Looking at an SVX next Saturday

(Long time lurker, first post)

I am going to look at a nice 94 red SVX next weekend. I already had a Suby tech check it out and he found a few leaks and gave me the price for repairs. Other than that, the radio CD player is dead and there is a few paint chips here and there. The CARFAX report was clean, too. I had a few questions:

1. Wheels: With the unusual offset, what are some pretty light wheels that people have? Tirerack is being no help. Are the stockers pretty good?

2. Parts: There are a few online places that sell stuff, but my mechanic was a little worried for me. Are there any interchangeable parts with more common Subies?

3. Mods: I plan to go pretty stock, but *maybe* an exhaust update. If I were to replace the cats (header-back exhaust) with a single cat (there are two or three, right?), would I set off any CELs? Or should I just change out the muffler with a magnaflow and be happy?

4. I was setting my plans for a bit of maintenance but I couldn't figure out (via the net) if there are separate diff fluid changes for the front and center diffs. On my STi, the front, center, and tranny are all essentially one unit.

Thanks, and I'm sure I'll have more questions later. This car is purely for fun and to add to my Suby collection. Maybe to/from work, too. I just wanted to date an "exotic Italian - Japanese" without angering my wife...

TomsSVX 02-13-2006 12:24 PM

Mazda RX-7 wheels are very light and suit the car nicely

Parts can be found at Subaruparts.com or locally on the network. There are always parts floating around

No, you will not set off and Cel's as long as you keep you 02 sensors on

The front diff is a seperate unit, the center diff is compile with the auto trans.

Hope this helps, and welcome to the network

Tom

lhopp77 02-13-2006 01:42 PM

Comments

Parts (mostly used) are always available on Ebay. In addition to www.subaruparts.com you can check www.1stsubaruparts.com.

Members on here sell various used parts, trim parts and a few aftermarket parts.

You can have an exhaust made or you can check out Stebro for a very nice sounding and looking system even though a bit pricey, but does have some performance gains. Also, if you read on here you can see where there are potential problems with trying to change the exhaust without losing performance.

Lee

ensteele 02-13-2006 09:50 PM

Welcome to the site and good luck with your purchase. :)

Chiketkd 02-14-2006 07:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TomsSVX
Mazda RX-7 wheels are very light and suit the car nicely

Agreed. Here's a pic of RX-7 rims on my former '96 SVX:

http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/fil...etkd/32465.jpg

They are 16"x8" with a +50mm offset (stock wheels are 16x7.5" w/ +55mm offset). You can run the stock 225/50/16 tires on them or go even larger to 245/45/16. However, all four tires front and rear need to match.

Welcome to the site! :)

-Chike

Landshark 02-14-2006 08:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hayasa

Wheels: With the unusual offset, what are some pretty light wheels that people have? Tirerack is being no help. Are the stockers pretty good?

wheels that fit a WRX or '04 STi will work. check the NASIOC For Sale section.

Rota also has some fairly light inexpensive wheels, too.
http://subydude.com/osc/index.php/cP...6faff67a5bd834

Chiketkd 02-14-2006 08:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Landshark
wheels that fit a WRX or '04 STi will work. check the NASIOC For Sale section.

Uhh...Alan - only wheels from an '05+ STI will fit the SVX (bolt pattern is 5x114.3). Wheels from a WRX or '04 STI have a 5x100 bolt pattern and won't fit. ;)

-Chike

Landshark 02-14-2006 09:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiketkd
Uhh...Alan - only wheels from an '05+ STI will fit the SVX (bolt pattern is 5x114.3). Wheels from a WRX or '04 STI have a 5x100 bolt pattern and won't fit. ;)

-Chike

brain fart - i had 4 hours of sleep. i'm used to seeing guys on the Legacy board looking for WRX and '04 STi wheels. (5x100) :rolleyes:

hayasa 02-15-2006 09:01 AM

Thanks for the info, guys! I assume the wheels are from a gen3 RX-7, right? I will probably just wait and see the condition of the stock wheels before I upgrade. What about the magnaflow muffler? Is it pretty much bolt-on in place of stock, or will it need to be welded on? Does anyone here have a soundfile of the magnaflow?

Also, does rust seem to be a problem with these cars? I've seen a few pics in the Lockers of rust issues, and the one I am going to check out has a spot of rust on the rear trunk area. I was thinking of getting it fixed up, but I might not if it isn't that big a deal. Any ideas how much a body shop would charge for thak kind of thing?