The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   General SVX Babble (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Reasons not to drive on the ice (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=23515)

Wiz 12-29-2004 10:16 PM

Reasons not to drive on the ice in an SVX

I was at a car wash and I over heard an employe talking about my car a search and rescue operation and someone drowning. I asked for the details and the response was shocking. Apparently some guy got his SVX under water somehow, must have been through ice. But either way he died dispite the fact that someone had gotton there in time to save him, they could not break the windows and the the guy died. :(

He said that they had to break both windows on the dirver side to get the guy out and they tried 6 times but the guy died cause they could not break the glass. Apparently our cars are a bit too tough in some ways for our own good. The divided windows really reinforces the strength. Much harder to break 2 small peices of glass then one big one.

I raced people on lakes last year but after hearing that I'm a bit more worried now. I always waited for the trucks to go out on the lakes before I ever dared to. But I think I'll quit it all together.

CigarJohnny 12-30-2004 05:20 AM

Yikes!

Johnny (Note to self: SVX not really a James Bond car)

justiceSVX 12-30-2004 09:30 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by CigarJohnny
(Note to self: SVX not really a James Bond car)
liar! ;)

Chiketkd 12-31-2004 03:18 PM

Re: Reasons not to drive on the ice in an SVX

Quote:

Originally posted by Wiz
I raced people on lakes last year but after hearing that I'm a bit more worried now. I always waited for the trucks to go out on the lakes before I ever dared to. But I think I'll quit it all together.
I guess racing on frozen lakes must be a past-time for you 'hardy' North Easterners! I would never dream of taking a 3600lb vehicle, let alone a 2 ton truck out on a lake! :eek:

Those new Volvo models with the reinforced frames (e.g. XC70/XC90) are also a pain for rescue workers to cut through. Someone in our local rescue squad told me that people have died b/c rescue workers weren't able to cut through the reinforced frame in time to save the crash victim's life.

-Chike

Subafreak 12-31-2004 03:33 PM

Stupid Volvos:rolleyes:

Landshark 12-31-2004 03:43 PM

did anyone hear about that Sti......

<runs and hides>

ensteele 12-31-2004 03:50 PM

There is a little tool that rescue workers usually have with them that has a sharp point and when pushed on, it give a shock which breaks the safety glass. That would be something that you could use to get out of the car if needed. Something to think about I guess. :confused:

Wiz 12-31-2004 06:28 PM

Re: Re: Reasons not to drive on the ice in an SVX

Quote:

Originally posted by Chiketkd

I guess racing on frozen lakes must be a past-time for you 'hardy' North Easterners! I would never dream of taking a 3600lb vehicle, let alone a 2 ton truck out on a lake! :eek:

Those new Volvo models with the reinforced frames (e.g. XC70/XC90) are also a pain for rescue workers to cut through. Someone in our local rescue squad told me that people have died b/c rescue workers weren't able to cut through the reinforced frame in time to save the crash victim's life.

-Chike

The ice can get well over a foot thick around here. A lot of people use their trucks to haul out their ice fishing huts. They will even park their trucks on the ice. Once in a while a vehical does go through but its usually as the ice is starting to melt or someone who went on way to early.. I always avoided the ice during those times.

And I would not call my self really hardy. I went snowboarding for the first time and I sucked so I've been quite sore for the past few days to the point where I don't want to move much. Too bad the rental board and boots sucked. Probably made it a lot harder for me than nessecary. Damn lose bindings. And I hate the cold too. LOL

Earthworm 01-06-2005 04:18 PM

The ice here is usually 3ft thick. More than safe for our tanks.

http://svx-iw.com/justy/display1.jpg