The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Paint First Aid! (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=1173)

Stevebsy 08-13-2001 05:29 PM

Paint First Aid!

My paint looks like crap despite just being waxed with Meguiar's cleaner wax. The top of the car feels slightly gritty like sandpaper, and the rest is not nearly as shiny as it could be.

I stopped by a detailing place and they said for about $150 they could compound and polish it up for me. He said it would look better, but not like brand new (no surprise)

Doesn't sound too unreasonable, but is there anything else I can do to my poor baby? I'll be ashamed to bring it to the grand meet in 2k2 in its current condition.

Aredubjay 08-13-2001 06:42 PM

Steve,
There's a 3M, extra fine grit compound in a can (liquid, not paste) that might help you out a bit. Haven't tried it myself, yet, but, heard it's good stuff. It's about six bucks for the can. If it doesn't do the trick, you could still go to the detail shop. Ever since mine was at the body shop, my top (Black) has looked a little haggard (overspray from "something" I think), although they buffed out the rest of the car and it looks "killer." I plan on treating it this weekend. I'll let you know how it turns out, unless you want to play "guinnea pig" first. :D

Seraph 08-13-2001 06:50 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Aredubjay
Steve,
There's a 3M, extra fine grit compound in a can (liquid, not paste) that might help you out a bit. Haven't tried it myself, yet, but, heard it's good stuff. It's about six bucks for the can. If it doesn't do the trick, you could still go to the detail shop. Ever since mine was at the body shop, my top (Black) has looked a little haggard (overspray from "something" I think), although they buffed out the rest of the car and it looks "killer." I plan on treating it this weekend. I'll let you know how it turns out, unless you want to play "guinnea pig" first. :D

I always used 3M stuff. I use the medium then fine afterwards to peel some paint off and use the 3M paint treatment (i can't remember what it is -- its in the car) to get rid of the chemicals. Then use the wax to wax and buff it out...
Lwin

PS. do not use the medium and fine grit in one place as it strips out layers of paint -- I warned you...:D

I have dents all over my car. I need to get those fixed :(

Stevebsy 08-13-2001 07:06 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Seraphim

I have dents all over my car. I need to get those fixed :(

Roger that! Maybe I'll go crazy and have the whole thing restored this winter so I'm all primo for the 2k2 meet. Fix the dents and good repaint = $$$ oy!

picklesbitch 08-14-2001 08:19 AM

clay

I haven't used it yet, but I know several guys who have. What is it? Clay for cleaning paint before you wax and or polish. Check out Griotsgarage.com for all your car care needs. I am not as good at taking care of my vehicles as I should be, but I recently started using some of their products, and am pleased. Soon, I will try the clay on the SVX. It won't help the chips on the hood, but as for the rest, we'll see. They also give good advice on car care. Apparently they do concourse detailing and have developed a product line. They also have some nice garage toys too.
Mike

nvrmore100 08-14-2001 08:41 AM

As far as I've heard the clay just picks up dirt bits. I picks up the reallly tiny stuff that your rag wouldn't do, however I highly doubt you will notice any difference.

Ryan

kvnobrien 08-14-2001 12:45 PM

Re: clay

Quote:

Originally posted by pickles*****
Check out Griotsgarage.com for all your car care needs. I am not as good at taking care of my vehicles as I should be, but I recently started using some of their products, and am pleased.

WOW, did anyone else get lost in that site like I just did? You could spend hours writting down all the things you would need in your garage. I noticed a lot of things on that site that my friend's father has in his garage. I hope to have one like that some day.
http://www.griotsgarage.com /

mohrds 08-14-2001 01:32 PM

<<I stopped by a detailing place and they said for about $150 they could compound and polish it up for me. He said it would look better, but not like brand new (no surprise)>>

If your car cannot be buffed back, Your car must have been repainted or you park under a leaky acid vat.

Subaru base/clear is pretty tough compared to domestic paint treatments. Even with years of neglect, it should be able to be brought back to new. I'd take it to a body shop for a buff. The compounds they use are a lot stronger, but they usually are better skilled and won't burn through on the edges.

I always recommend any finish related work be done by a shop that specializes in restoring cars. They are worth the higher labor rates.

Doug

nvrmore100 08-14-2001 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by mohrds
<<I stopped by a detailing place and they said for about $150 they could compound and polish it up for me. He said it would look better, but not like brand new (no surprise)>>

If your car cannot be buffed back, Your car must have been repainted or you park under a leaky acid vat.

Subaru base/clear is pretty tough compared to domestic paint treatments. Even with years of neglect, it should be able to be brought back to new.

Doug

Hehe no acid on mine...but tell that to my hood and bumper. :D

I would be EXTREMELY suprised if they could get any color back from mine...if they did, boy would I be happy.

Ryan