The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   General SVX Babble (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Is this common? (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=43237)

ThePersian 02-11-2008 06:56 PM

Is this common?

I just put in a new tranny in my SVX and noticed that the AWD was not working.:( I took it back to the mechanic and told him what was wrong. He took a look at it and said it was the cellnoid.:confused: (I know its spelled wrong)
Is this a normal thing that happens with these cars?
How much does it cost?
Is there a chance that he could have messed it up while installing the new transmission?

:)Thanks for the input!:D

TomsSVX 02-11-2008 07:05 PM

depends... The TPS needs to be adjusted properly... The FWD fuse cannot be in... and lets hope the solenoid froze in the closed position rather than open. There is a posibility the transfer drum was sheered off too. First things first, check the simple stuff like the TPS and FWD fuse before jumping to conclusions

Tom

Trevor 02-11-2008 07:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThePersian (Post 527768)
I just put in a new tranny in my SVX and noticed that the AWD was not working.:( I took it back to the mechanic and told him what was wrong. He took a look at it and said it was the cellnoid.:confused: (I know its spelled wrong)
How much does it cost?
Is there a chance that he could have messed it up while installing the new transmission?

If a new or rebuilt transmission has been installed obviously you should have AWD. He is probably making a vague reference to solenoid valve "c", which controls the center clutch, which in turn distributes drive proportionally front or rear. This solenoid is part and parcel of the transmission and should have been replaced along with clutch plates if a proper overhaul was done.

From what you report, the transmission rebuilder should carry the can and the fix should cost you nothing. ;)

TomsSVX 02-11-2008 07:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trevor (Post 527780)
If a new or rebuilt transmission has been installed obviously you should have AWD. He is probably making a vague reference to solenoid valve "c", which controls the center clutch, which in turn distributes drive proportionally front or rear. This solenoid is part and parcel of the transmission and should have been replaced along with clutch plates if a proper overhaul was done.

From what you report, the transmission rebuilder should carry the can and the fix should cost you nothing. ;)

He is right, I was assuming "new" to be new to you but used

Tom

Trevor 02-11-2008 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TomsSVX (Post 527783)
He is right, I was assuming "new" to be new to you but used

Tom

Tom, either of us could be correct. I get chastised for being so formal, but is so necessary when dealing with things technical. Ambiguous wording is frustrating and can cost a lot of time and effort. Hence my sticky heading the technical section, which unfortunately is often ignored.

N.B. The person involved in this instance, is hardly an offender and should not become upset as a result of me using this thread by way of an example.:)

Cheers, Trevor. ;)

kwren 02-11-2008 08:23 PM

Sorry, can't help with the AWD thing but....

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThePersian (Post 527768)
How much does it cost?

I did look up the spelling for you, :D
it's... solenoid

ThePersian 02-12-2008 06:12 PM

thanks

THanks for all the input! i just got off the phone with my mechanic and he said he will cover all charges!!! :D I will try and use the right section.:o I am still trying to understand how to use all the Things in this foram. Thanks again:)

Trevor 02-12-2008 08:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThePersian (Post 528045)
THanks for all the input! i just got off the phone with my mechanic and he said he will cover all charges!!! :D I will try and use the right section.:o I am still trying to understand how to use all the Things in this foram. Thanks again:)

Excellent result. :) Please do not worry about the details of your post, it did the job which is what matters. Have fun sorting out all the features available here. ;)