The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Interior Mods (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=69)
-   -   how to change ignition light colors (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=40113)

redlightningsvx 08-05-2007 02:22 AM

how to change ignition light colors

About a week ago I had bought some red leds for my svx to change the green boring lights to red. I have sucessfully wired one of the red lights inside the ignition so it glows red instead of green!!

Here is the easiest way i can explain:
1-buy leds
2-take off top and bottom steering covers
3-carfully pull off the clear piece around the ignition
4-take out light and cut off the plug
5-(here when i wired the led up to existing wires it would not dim off like the OEM light would so i ran new wires to the light down by the brake pedals and wired it up to that light so it would dim with it.)
6-secure the light in the clear housing with epoxy or tape on the back of light so it doesn't come out
7-make sure it comes on when your door is open and dims off when you close it
8-reverse order from 3 to 1

enjoy the new colors

LetItSnow 08-05-2007 06:37 AM

Any chance you can offer a lot more detail on this?

Step 1) What size, etc. LEDs?
Step 2) Where are the screws and such, for those of us who haven't removed the column covers before?

Pictures, pictures, pictures?

94SubieSVX 08-05-2007 08:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LetItSnow
Any chance you can offer a lot more detail on this?

Step 1) What size, etc. LEDs?
Step 2) Where are the screws and such, for those of us who haven't removed the column covers before?

Pictures, pictures, pictures?

+1, more details would be great. sounds like a good mod:)

redlightningsvx 08-05-2007 01:42 PM

i will try to get you som picture walkthroughs

TomsSVX 08-05-2007 05:34 PM

i gotta ask why?? I mean the rest of the car is lit in green and now you have a red ignition??

Tom

Trevor 08-05-2007 05:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TomsSVX
i gotta ask why?? I mean the rest of the car is lit in green and now you have a red ignition??

Tom

Tom, you just gotta read the heading to this section. :p Even so I guess there is a factor of fun and the unique. :)

It's Just Eric 08-05-2007 11:03 PM

...Hmm.....

Good luck with the ones in the climate controll unit:D If I could, Id change my interior lights to like...Purple...ONLY because everyone else does red or blue.

redlightningsvx 08-05-2007 11:43 PM

the whole point to this is that who else has diff. color lights inplace of boring green. it makes your car that much different from everybody else plus it isn`t that hard to if you know how to connect 2 wires that's the point im trying to get here

TomsSVX 08-06-2007 12:43 AM

i respect the wish to be different but it just doesn't look right in my opinion... If you are going to make one thing red... it all should be red

Tom

92svx95 08-06-2007 01:27 AM

or make a red; a more visible color using different colors to out reach ones vision. What is it like 80+% of males are color blind?!:confused: ?

redlightningsvx 08-06-2007 01:54 AM

tom i understand what your saying about all lights the same color which is what im currently working on but on the other hand if people put in neons in the car lets say purple the new key light would accent the neons. and the key light is only on for about 10 sec anyway unless you use the overhead buttons to keep it on. its really you like it or not mod but i get what your saying thanks for your thoughts

TomsSVX 08-06-2007 12:10 PM

i gotcha... so you want to try and get everything over to red eventually?

Tom

LetItSnow 08-06-2007 01:49 PM

Tom, I'm on that road right now. I know a local guy who's working on my HVAC right now. He's waiting on parts, but he sounds very confident that red will be easy. For the blue fans, the news isn't so good. With the way the "light runners" work inside there, the green tint will turn blue LED light to more of a teal - which is a fine color unless the rest of your dash is blue blue. :D

Apologies for the blur, but you can click <here> for a picture of my stereo and built-in Bel RX-75 detector. The deck can change to green, but the detector can't. For sport, I'm going to finish the task.

redlightningsvx 08-06-2007 09:18 PM

tom the answer to your question is yes! its gonna be a hard task but i will try to take picture step by step and post that whole thing soon

TomsSVX 08-06-2007 09:21 PM

best of luck. I alway thought the interior would look better with red accents

Tom