The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   General SVX Babble (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   I don't know if this belongs in 'Mod' or 'Tech' so . . . (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=354)

wasions 05-03-2001 11:52 PM

. . . I'll just put it here.

What are y'all doing about your weathered plastic hub covers? I decided not to try to match the paint, didn't want to spend a fortune, so I wet sanded them and painted them with that 'Chrome' paint. I like the look.

My wife suggested dark grey, which I had considered previously, but then I saw a Neon with that scheme. After the 'Intrepid' fiasco I caused a while back, I really didn't need that! :eek:

Steve

zsvx 05-04-2001 12:29 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by wasions
. . . I'll just put it here.

What are y'all doing about your weathered plastic hub covers? I decided not to try to match the paint, didn't want to spend a fortune, so I wet sanded them and painted them with that 'Chrome' paint. I like the look.

My wife suggested dark grey, which I had considered previously, but then I saw a Neon with that scheme. After the 'Intrepid' fiasco I caused a while back, I really didn't need that! :eek:

Steve

I just bought some of that spray paint Kragen sells. The color doesn't match exactly but its similar and it definitely looks a lot better than the faded yellow plastic color. I'll snap some pics when I get the chance.

cozykat 05-04-2001 06:30 AM

Hi!
Me, Ray(Halistan), and KouH have all painted our caps to try to match the wheel. I didn't cost very much as I just went to Wal-Mart and bought some silver auto paint for $2.97.
Since the paint color was a little to light, I put an undercoat of black primer. Then I just lightly covered them in coats of the silver until it looked how I wanted it to..
In certain light you can see a difference but over all they look pretty good.
Ray actually put several clear coats over his caps which helped restore some shine as well as provided a bit of protection from daily wear 'n tear.
I definitely prefer my caps now to being half silver and half yellow... :)

FlagstaffSVX 05-04-2001 04:06 PM

Hub covers? rims? sorry for being stupid here but could someone please elaborate?

Aredubjay 05-04-2001 04:48 PM

Steve, I used a Plasticote (Brand Name) color called "Burnished Silver." Nope, doesn't exactly match, but, after painting them, then, clearcoating them, they look very close to similar. :)

eddycat2000 05-04-2001 06:26 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Aredubjay
Steve, I used a Plasticote (Brand Name) color called "Burnished Silver." Nope, doesn't exactly match, but, after painting them, then, clearcoating them, they look very close to similar. :)
Hey, yeah you Aredub! What's very close to similar? Is that one of them dang teknikal terms yall use down there in Ken-tuck-ee?:)

Aredubjay 05-04-2001 06:43 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by eddycat2000

Hey, yeah you Aredub! What's very close to similar? Is that one of them dang teknikal terms yall use down there in Ken-tuck-ee?:)

Yassir. I jest thunk I'd make it a little mo' tollable fer ya'll. Norm'ly, I'd say, "pert near, but not plum, exactly.":D

zsvx 05-04-2001 06:51 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by FlagstaffSVX
Hub covers? rims? sorry for being stupid here but could someone please elaborate?
The little plastic thingies that say SUBARU on them in the middle of the wheel:)

zsvx 05-05-2001 06:39 PM

pic

Here is a picture of my painted wheel cap

http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/files/zsvx/168.jpg

Aredubjay 05-05-2001 06:42 PM

If I may quote the great philosopher "Procol Harum," just a "whiter shade of pale," just like mine. :D I've found that if you keep your wheels dirty, the caps and wheels look the same color. :)

tober76b 05-06-2001 07:29 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Aredubjay
I've found that if you keep your wheels dirty, the caps and wheels look the same color. :)
i think that's cheating aredubjay! :p
toby