The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   General SVX Babble (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Waterfall Grill Add on? (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=48168)

cozykat 12-23-2008 11:38 AM

Waterfall Grill Add on?

I was wondering if anyone knows why some of the waterfall grills have an extra plastic piece covering the grill?

http://i302.photobucket.com/albums/n...l/IMG00222.jpg
SVX Grill Comparison Pics

RSVX 12-23-2008 12:37 PM

Re: Waterfall Grill Add on?

Well, that's a first for me!

sicksubie 12-23-2008 01:09 PM

never seen that before....

siceclipse 12-23-2008 01:44 PM

dont lie you made that yourself

cozykat 12-23-2008 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by siceclipse (Post 578535)
dont lie you made that yourself

:lol:

I wish I had that talent! If I could mold plastic professionally, I'd concentrate on making new headlight covers out of a non-yellowing plastic and then form all new dash pieces with a more realistic wood grain.

I bought this grill a few years back but never unwrapped it... just stored it for a rainy day. Well I took my original lights to be professionally sanded/painted and when I was putting on my spares.. I noticed this grill having this clip-on. It's definitely some factory piece because I realized the grill holes that this plastic clips inside of were intentionally made different to hold it (they are present even on my 93 grill).

It just seems like the silliest thing to make because I would think it's restricting airflow to the radiator... so I wonder, when would you need this?

Zandar 12-23-2008 02:28 PM

It's to keep mud out of the engine compartment of a rally car, of course.

Now, since the SVX is a rally car, I'm off to go powerslide through some snow!

RSVX 12-23-2008 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cozykat (Post 578538)
:lol:

I wish I had that talent! If I could mold plastic professionally, I'd concentrate on making new headlight covers out of a non-yellowing plastic and then form all new dash pieces with a more realistic wood grain.

I bought this grill a few years back but never unwrapped it... just stored it for a rainy day. Well I took my original lights to be professionally sanded/painted and when I was putting on my spares.. I noticed this grill having this clip-on. It's definitely some factory piece because I realized the grill holes that this plastic clips inside of were intentionally made different to hold it (they are present even on my 93 grill).

It just seems like the silliest thing to make because I would think it's restricting airflow to the radiator... so I wonder, when would you need this?

In colder climates something like this would allow the engine to reach normal operating temperature faster, or even at all.

I'm sure you have seen those covers on some larger trucks in the colder climates.

michael 12-23-2008 05:43 PM

Nice find, just when you thought you've seen it all! I'll give you $25 for it :)

svxistentialist 12-23-2008 06:43 PM

The Japanese and English ones are all like that.

:)

SubaruSVXCrazy 12-23-2008 09:26 PM

Actually I just got a french SVX brouchure. They have them over there too. I was gonna post that myself.

SubaruSVXCrazy 12-23-2008 09:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RSVX (Post 578550)
In colder climates something like this would allow the engine to reach normal operating temperature faster, or even at all.

I'm sure you have seen those covers on some larger trucks in the colder climates.

This makes sence, but then is there something restricting air flow from the passages in the bumper too then. How much can that small grille restrict? And besides our grill has restrictions already :confused: If this is so than Michael that would be your winter grille. :lol:

subbieatnz 12-24-2008 03:58 AM

My dads old citron 2CV had an grill cover for use for winter and very cold days. used it about half of the time we had it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by svxistentialist (Post 578588)

Both of the JDMs i had do not have the oddball grills. Maybe it was an option for cooler areas? or were they done on 1s made after 1992?

b3lha 12-24-2008 04:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by svxistentialist (Post 578588)

You're half right.

The English ones are covered, the Japanese ones are open.:rolleyes:

1986nate 12-24-2008 04:45 AM

People use to think my dad was weird because he would put a piece of cardboard across the grill on our old Astro van every winter. He also puts one right on the radiator in his old beater. All the buses around here have metal snaps to attach pieces of plastic/fabric that cover the grills.

Just helps cars warm up quicker and stay warm on really cold days. Our astro van never would stay at optimal temps without it if it was under 20 degrees

I agree with subarusvxcrazy in that I don't see how much it would really do on our svx as the opening is very small.

cozykat 12-25-2008 04:14 PM

I guess coming from a hot climate, like Texas... we don't have much use for things like this. lol