The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   engine assembly questions (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=61436)

Crash_Bandit 03-15-2013 02:55 PM

engine assembly questions

So a few months back I picked up a very dirty project car (green 92) with a seized engine. I decided to splurge and got the engine rebuilt so now I've got a very pretty long block and I'm putting it back together. The fun part? I've never done this before.

I've got the factory service manual (92 and 96 updates) and parts books, and can follow directions just fine. But have run across some things that either confuse me or are outside the scope of the manual. So I'm hoping a few of you can help out with some dumb or not so dumb questions as I find them.

Question 1:
I have 2 throttle bodies and while cleaning them up noticed a tiny difference between them. They both have lines on top that have a P or R label that goes into each tube right where the throttle flaps are. On one TB the holes are just barely before the flaps, while the other TB has the holes just barely after the flaps.

Does this matter? Or is one of them correct?

Question 2:
I've got to replace the under dash heater core and probably the evaporator due to a critter nest. The car was converted from R12 to R134 at some point according to a sticker under the hood. I've got spare parts from another 92 but I don't know how to tell what coolant the spare evaporator uses. Both cases have the same part numbers (73060PA031).

Again, does it matter?

I'll try to add pictures later as my phone is annoying for posting.

icingdeath88 03-15-2013 03:17 PM

Re: engine assembly questions

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crash_Bandit (Post 721143)
So a few months back I picked up a very dirty project car (green 92) with a seized engine. I decided to splurge and got the engine rebuilt so now I've got a very pretty long block and I'm putting it back together. The fun part? I've never done this before.

I've got the factory service manual (92 and 96 updates) and parts books, and can follow directions just fine. But have run across some things that either confuse me or are outside the scope of the manual. So I'm hoping a few of you can help out with some dumb or not so dumb questions as I find them.

Question 1:
I have 2 throttle bodies and while cleaning them up noticed a tiny difference between them. They both have lines on top that have a P or R label that goes into each tube right where the throttle flaps are. On one TB the holes are just barely before the flaps, while the other TB has the holes just barely after the flaps.

Does this matter? Or is one of them correct?

Question 2:
I've got to replace the under dash heater core and probably the evaporator due to a critter nest. The car was converted from R12 to R134 at some point according to a sticker under the hood. I've got spare parts from another 92 but I don't know how to tell what coolant the spare evaporator uses. Both cases have the same part numbers (73060PA031).

Again, does it matter?

I'll try to add pictures later as my phone is annoying for posting.

1: I am unaware of any difference, but it probably doesn't matter. Which TB is from which year? I know the ports you're talking about, they're for the EGR and purge control system, so they're not really that important.

2: The r12 A/C seem to do just fine with r134, I don't think there are any real differences. If they have the same part number, then they're the same. You can use the spare and r132. The conversion to r132 is just changing to a different type of seals, and maybe a fitting, I'm not sure. No actual functioning parts are changed.

Crash_Bandit 03-15-2013 03:45 PM

Both throttle bodies are from 92's.

And thank you for the info.

rj7630 03-15-2013 04:39 PM

You will need to change the compressor oil if you change from R12 to R132. The oil used with R12 systems is not compatible with R132. If you do not change the oil the compressor will seize. Also flush the lines and evaporator.

Crash_Bandit 03-16-2013 02:12 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Thank you guys for the info.
Here are the pictures anyways.
Attachment 17115

Attachment 17116

Attachment 17117

stiguy 03-17-2013 01:02 PM

I have a 134a evap from a old 94 parts car if you want it it's yours I even have the hard lines I think

icingdeath88 03-17-2013 03:24 PM

Is one of the engines from california by any chance? Do either of the engines they came off of have an EGR temp sensor at the back, right (passenger) side of the intake manifold? I don't think it would have any noticeable effect which TB you use.

Crash_Bandit 03-17-2013 11:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by icingdeath88 (Post 721226)
Is one of the engines from california by any chance? Do either of the engines they came off of have an EGR temp sensor at the back, right (passenger) side of the intake manifold? I don't think it would have any noticeable effect which TB you use.

One is a local, CA, car. The other is missing the temp sensor and harness plug. That confused me before I found some earlier discussion about EGR's.

For the time being, I am treating the throttle body situation as a coincidence and non issue.

Crash_Bandit 03-17-2013 11:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stiguy (Post 721215)
I have a 134a evap from a old 94 parts car if you want it it's yours I even have the hard lines I think

Much appreciated, but I've verified that I've got the part I need already. I'll be in town the next few days so maybe we can see if there's anything else we might trade for.

icingdeath88 03-18-2013 07:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crash_Bandit (Post 721240)
One is a local, CA, car. The other is missing the temp sensor and harness plug. That confused me before I found some earlier discussion about EGR's.

For the time being, I am treating the throttle body situation as a coincidence and non issue.

If the car you're swapping into is a non-CA car, then use the non-CA parts, and vice-versa. The CA cars had some differences in 92, one being the EGR temp sensor, and another apparently being that port on the TBs. You want the CA ECU to go with the CA engine parts and vice-versa.

Crash_Bandit 03-18-2013 01:41 PM

Yup, that is my plan of attack. The car I'm working on is a CA car so I'm making sure everything I took out of it (unless its broken) goes back in. Just clean this time.