The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   General SVX Babble (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   exhaust sound (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=60141)

dannmarr 06-26-2012 10:53 PM

exhaust sound

I am not too happy with the exhaust sound the SVX makes. I would prefer it to be quieter. Would changing the muffler do the trick? If so, what type of muffler should I use and should I use 1 or 2 tips?

svxfiles 06-27-2012 02:57 AM

Re: exhaust sound

Quote:

Originally Posted by dannmarr (Post 707183)
I am not too happy with the exhaust sound the SVX makes. I would prefer it to be quieter. Would changing the muffler do the trick? If so, what type of muffler should I use and should I use 1 or 2 tips?

Is your exhaust stock?

Crazy_pilot 06-27-2012 05:49 AM

^^^ This. If it's stock then something is broken, the stock exhaust is very quiet.

dcarrb 06-27-2012 06:02 AM

Something's definitely wrong if a stock SVX exhaust is too noisy. I marvel at how quiet my cars are at idle; even with the hood up all one hears is a characteristic Subaru sewing-machine tick and the faint whine of the belt-driven gear. But a heavy right foot can still provoke a satisfying snarl.

One emits slightly more of a rumble than the other in normal driving; I've always figured there must be a tiny leak somewhere.

dcb

dannmarr 06-27-2012 08:14 AM

It is not noisy, I just don't like the reving sound. Check out tomssvx video on Youtube (Exhaust comparison). That is the sound I do not like, it's too sporty for me. I prefer a quiet sound while driving down the street. My exhaust is stock, I replaced the main and pre cats. The previous owner removed the resonator.

Conn SVX 06-27-2012 08:23 AM

Replace the resonator . My 1992 when I bought I was extremely quiet. Take it to a muffler shop, replace the resonator and have it checked for leaks. I took video of our trip cross country throught the windshield of the car back in 1994 and you can hear the key jingle in the ignition at 80 MPH ( that quiet )

Lookin4SVX 06-27-2012 08:49 AM

Neither of them exhausts in toms video are stock.

Here is mine, a stock exhaust with resonator removed.

My resonator was shot, and I'm cheap, so I had them put in a strait pipe.
You will hear how crappy it sounded while broken at the end of the clip.

Note, my intake silencer is removed.
Took the plastic resonator out the fender, everything under the hood is stock.

dannmarr 06-27-2012 09:43 AM

Thanks for the clips. That is exactly the sound I don't want! I don't like that power, muscle sound while accelerating. Sorry, that's just me :o

Chuckls 06-27-2012 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dannmarr (Post 707214)
Thanks for the clips. That is exactly the sound I don't want! I don't like that power, muscle sound while accelerating. Sorry, that's just me :o

You might have a case of vaginaitis then.

jetboy 06-27-2012 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chuckls (Post 707216)
You might have a case of vaginaitis then.

Or he might have a case of "I own a GT, I want the exhaust to be subdued".

1986nate 06-27-2012 11:10 AM

The stock exhaust is basically silent. While driving my 97 out to PA when I moved, twice after stopping I tried to start the car while it was already running.:o

dannmarr 06-27-2012 11:17 AM

You guys are missing the point. It is not when it's idling, it's when you push the car. It sounds like it's straining, I don't like that sound. If someone can answer my question, fine. If not, please refrain from criticizing. I am asking for help, not to be judged. Everyone has a right to his opinion on his likes and dislikes.:rolleyes:

Chuckls 06-27-2012 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dannmarr (Post 707214)
I don't like that power, muscle sound while accelerating. Sorry, that's just me :o

You should buy a Prius

Crazy_pilot 06-27-2012 11:29 AM

It's really a matter of physics... The engine moves a lot of air when it's working hard, and that makes noise. You might get a couple opinions on a less noisy muffler, but I doubt any will be backed with experience. My only suggestion would be to replace the pre-cats with some quality 2" resonators (Aero would be a good place to start looking). Avoid glasspacks or anything with fiberglass batting inside.

As long as your engine is running well it should still pass emmisions without the pre-cats, and the resonators may bring the sound down to a level you prefer. As I said above though, this is just my opinion, it isn't backed by any experience. Your mileage may vary.

icingdeath88 06-27-2012 11:40 AM

Chuck, this is why you got banned from the other forum. Just sayin.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dannmarr (Post 707203)
It is not noisy, I just don't like the reving sound. Check out tomssvx video on Youtube (Exhaust comparison). That is the sound I do not like, it's too sporty for me. I prefer a quiet sound while driving down the street. My exhaust is stock, I replaced the main and pre cats. The previous owner removed the resonator.

What you ought to do is add back a resonator where the stock one was deleted. My blue car when I got it had that deleted, and it sounded like ass as well. Too loud at certain key rpms, but it wasn't even just the loudness as much as that the tone was not a good one.

That resonator makes a huge difference. The stock system, I think they put a lot of thought and time into to get it to be really quiet.