The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Transmission and Drivetrain (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=67)
-   -   4.11 VTD tranny swap video (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=56180)

Nevin 12-20-2010 09:31 PM

4.11 VTD tranny swap video

Ok all, here's a video of me doing a run after the 4.11 swap.

Now, I still consider the swap a success, but it's not all sunshine and lollipops at the moment. If you watch the video, it will explain everything.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DFW4sx3excs

Any ideas, let me have them!

Thank you!

Crazy_pilot 12-20-2010 10:16 PM

Re: 4.11 VTD tranny swap video

Man that thing shifts quick, although I haven't even been in my SVX for a month or more, and it's been quite a bit longer since I stomped on it at all, so my memory may be a bit hazy.

icingdeath88 12-20-2010 11:01 PM

That sucks man. At least my car is predictable (only 2nd gear and reverse), lol. That's just weird.

What TCU are you using?

Nevin 12-20-2010 11:27 PM

Yeah, it shifts way quicker than before. I'm running the ECUtune valvebody upgrade though, as well as his TCU upgrade.

The TCU is in fact a JDM SVX unit that I scored off of ron (needforspeed). I have othe tcu from the wrx that the tranny came fromn, but per the advice of LAN and a few others, I'm running the SVX unit instead.

Do the JDM svx's have the dropping resistor wired the same way as the usdm units? That's one thing that's crossed my mind.

Nevin 12-23-2010 12:23 PM

Yeah so I feel...what's the word? Oh yeah, retarded. I feel retarded.

I just realized this morning that I used the TCU from the WRX instead of the TCU that I had ECUtune burn me. That would probably explain the "having no idea when to shift" thing, since the wrx would have used a cable speedo, and therefore the TCU wouldn't have the same capabilities as ours.

I suspect that's the problem. I'll get around to it tonight and then make another video.

icingdeath88 12-23-2010 01:28 PM

Yea that would probably do it.

Nevin 12-23-2010 06:45 PM

Turns out it DID fix it. Imagine that, running the right parts will make it do what it should. Crazy idea, right?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d27_QwlZk2Q

longassname 12-24-2010 07:43 AM

It has an ECUtune valve body.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crazy_pilot (Post 665014)
Man that thing shifts quick, although I haven't even been in my SVX for a month or more, and it's been quite a bit longer since I stomped on it at all, so my memory may be a bit hazy.

Geoff 12-24-2010 10:00 AM

Do a writeup, Nevin. :) Very interested in doing something like this later.

Nevin 12-24-2010 11:39 AM

Geoff, there is a more thorough explanation in another thread I started.

http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=56203

SVXMAN2001 12-24-2010 02:36 PM

Nevin, job well done, congrats! After viewing your youtube video I noticed what appeared to be a check engine light/stop lamp light, light up...any ideas as to what is causing this? Couple of additional questions

1) Do we have any indication that this particular tranny is any more durable than a stock svx transmission?

2) I am bit confused as to what mounts were the issue...was it the 4.11 transmission or the differential? Does the 4.11 transmission use stock svx mounts?

Nevin 12-24-2010 08:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SVXMAN2001 (Post 665254)
Nevin, job well done, congrats! After viewing your youtube video I noticed what appeared to be a check engine light/stop lamp light, light up...any ideas as to what is causing this? Couple of additional questions

Yep, that's the stop lamp. That's what happens when you run LED bulbs.

1) Do we have any indication that this particular tranny is any more durable than a stock svx transmission?

I have been told by those "in the know" that it IS in fact more durable than a stock svx tranny. I'm told it's among the most durable of automatics ever built by subaru. Since it was desinged for turbo duty (a la wrx), it was gifted with stronger clutch packs as well as a gear type center differential. Since I also decided to upgrade the valve body, I don't think it's power holding/durability will be something I'll have to question. But you never know what could happen! However, not having taken it apart, I can't compare it directly to another. That's what I've heard, and found on a bit of my own research.

2) I am bit confused as to what mounts were the issue...was it the 4.11 transmission or the differential? Does the 4.11 transmission use stock svx mounts?

The rear TRANSMISSION mount is the one that is different, as I showed in the pictures. It's a 3 piece rear mount that has a different shape, and is therefore necessary for the swap. The USDM mount is more or less a "V" shape, while the JDM has a flatter shape to the rear tranny mount. The rear mount is the only physical outward design difference. Slap that mount on there, and everything else bolts exactly into place. The rear diff swap would be the same as doing any other old gear swap combo. No outward differences there.

Hope that helps!

icingdeath88 12-25-2010 12:04 AM

Congrats, glad you worked it out. I wouldn't have gotten the 6-speed if I knew I could get a VTD setup for only $1500 :eek:

92 SVX 12-25-2010 03:31 PM

hey for the led problem you can get a 2.2k resister and solder it in across the pos and neg of any of the stop lamp wires and it will take care of that problem. the filiment bulbs have a slight resistance which tells the computer they are not blown.

NeedForSpeed 12-25-2010 08:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SVXMAN2001 (Post 665254)

1) This tranny is out of a Legacy Twin Turbo. As a newer trans than a 92 SVX, it should have all the internal upgrades that later SVX transmissions have.

2) The 4.11 VTD does use stock SVX mounts, but not stock US SVX mounts. The tranny mount is on the rear housing. The VTD housing is different than the non-VTD housing, so, mounts specific to VTD are necessary.

Now, hopefully, the cat-out-of-the-bag, all of you won't bid against each other, or alert the importers that VTD transmissions have any value here in the US :)

Good job Nevin. You're too nice of a guy, I'm glad to see you succeed :cool: