The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Test vacuum pump?? (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=48967)

techy101 02-01-2009 03:57 PM

Test vacuum pump??

I'm out in the garage right now trying to figure out a problem with my cruise control system. Just like the other thread on here my cruise light comes on, I hear the relay click, but when I try to engage nothing happens. (Gotta love having a computer/TV in the garage. SVX + SuperBowl = Win)

I've got the vacuum pump pulled out but don't really know how to test it. I've done the impedance test that is laid out in the service manual and I think everything is in order.

I want to find a way to make the pump activate while the car is in the garage to make sure that the pump is working properly.

Any help soon is greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Matthew

EDIT: So I was looking closer, and I think I may have had the pinout wrong.

This is what the service manual says for checking impedance.
Quote:

Vacuum Pump .................. 2 & 3 ..................... 100-110
Vent Valve ................... 1 & 2 .................... About 53
Safety Valve ................. 2 & 4 .................... About 53
But here is what I am seeing:

Pins:--------------------------Ohms
2 & 3---------------------------7
1 & 4---------------------------105 (This isn't listed, but does show the correct impedance for pins 2 & 3. This has/had me confused)
1 & 2---------------------------52.9
2 & 4---------------------------52.9

I thought maybe something was backwards, but I just compared the pinout to the wiring diagram in my service manual and the colors coordinate correctly.

kwren 02-01-2009 06:03 PM

Re: Test vacuum pump??

There is a vacuum pump???:confused:

(think I need a nap)

Keith:)

techy101 02-01-2009 06:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kwren (Post 585431)
There is a vacuum pump???:confused:

(think I need a nap)

Keith:)

HAH :lol:

Yup, it's behind the battery and the fuse block sits on top of it. It's only job AFAIK is to run the cruise control solenoid

Hondasucks 02-02-2009 07:24 PM

Really? Weird... Must not have been able to get enough vacuum off the engine or something. I wonder how much they run, the vacuum pump for my Dodge diesel is like $380 :eek: I'm tempted to get the compressor for it (Mounts in the same location) and use it to run onboard air, and get an electric vacuum pump from Summit for the brake booster...

techy101 02-02-2009 07:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hondasucks (Post 585602)
Really? Weird... Must not have been able to get enough vacuum off the engine or something. I wonder how much they run, the vacuum pump for my Dodge diesel is like $380 :eek: I'm tempted to get the compressor for it (Mounts in the same location) and use it to run onboard air, and get an electric vacuum pump from Summit for the brake booster...

This is an electric pump. I figured out my mistaken reading though. I was basically summing the impedance of the two valves and they happened to make the impedance that I was looking for. But it would appear that the pump motor itself is shot @ 7 ohms.