The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   ATF pump tubes? (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=44335)

Maxo 04-16-2008 05:50 PM

ATF pump tubes?

I recently dropped the transmission on my '92 lsl and while doing so broke the two small tubes that connect to the top of the transmission pump. They were so brittle it seems they are made from plastic. Now that I'm ready to reinstall the tranny, I'm wondering if those tubes are absolutely necessary. While normally I would just order new tubes from subaruparts.com, I have an opportunity to get some additional help this weekend and would like to get the svx back on the road asap. Perhaps there's something else I can use in place of these tubes?
Anyone have some insight into this matter?

oab_au 04-16-2008 05:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maxo (Post 542126)
I recently dropped the transmission on my '92 lsl and while doing so broke the two small tubes that connect to the top of the transmission pump. They were so brittle it seems they are made from plastic. Now that I'm ready to reinstall the tranny, I'm wondering if those tubes are absolutely necessary. While normally I would just order new tubes from subaruparts.com, I have an opportunity to get some additional help this weekend and would like to get the svx back on the road asap. Perhaps there's something else I can use in place of these tubes?
Anyone have some insight into this matter?

I guess you mean the two breather tubes, for the front diff and gearbox that go no were. If so they can be replaced with any rubber tube that fits.
Harvey.

Trevor 04-16-2008 07:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oab_au (Post 542129)
I guess you mean the two breather tubes, for the front diff and gearbox that go no were. If so they can be replaced with any rubber tube that fits.
Harvey.

Rubber tubing as such should not be used, as it will deteriorate when in contact with oil. The tubing should be synthetic and oil and chemical resistant.

kwren 04-16-2008 08:53 PM

Maybe.....

just regular ATF fluid lines?
Just a thought:confused: ( it makes sense to me but I don't understand all I don't know about it!!) :lol:
Keith

Maxo 04-16-2008 09:23 PM

breather tubes

Quote:

Originally Posted by oab_au (Post 542129)
Harvey.

Yes, those are it I think. They didn't go anywhere, just came off the top of the tranny, looped up, then curled back down.

I'll have to check out the local auto stores for some atf hose ,or equivalent, in the appropriate size. Unbelievable how brittle the original hoses were...

Thanks!

oab_au 04-16-2008 09:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maxo (Post 542184)
Yes, those are it I think. They didn't go anywhere, just came off the top of the tranny, looped up, then curled back down.

I'll have to check out the local auto stores for some atf hose ,or equivalent, in the appropriate size. Unbelievable how brittle the original hoses were...

Thanks!

Maxo, Yes they are just breathers. I guess the loop is to stop the water from running in. But it would have been better if they had some sort of filter on them to stop dirt being sucked into the box when it cools down.

Harvey.