The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   air filter install (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=12334)

phalg 07-31-2003 09:11 AM

air filter install

I would like to install a new air filter in my 1992 SVX. Can someone give me instructions for doing the job? What kind of air filter should i purchase at, say Autozone? Is it easy to replace the filter?

thanks,
Phal:)

svx_commuter 07-31-2003 09:27 AM

Well tell the AZ counter guy: make, year and model, buy the filter. Also available at Walmart. Open the hood, remove connector/wire for the MAF, remove the 4 clamps that hold the top of the filter "box" on, remove the top and replace the filter. You will have to wrestle the top off while bending the hose. Easier on a hot day than cold. Or the hose can be removed at the MAF. The filter "box" is on the passenger side. The air filter is rectangular in shape about 1.5 inches thick. See if someone can help you with some basic instruction. It would be a good idea if you haven't done naything like this before. :) Remember you have to start somewhere if you want to do the work yourself. :)

nubs 07-31-2003 12:00 PM

Don't forget to clean any debris out of the airbox before you put it back together.

awdsvx 07-31-2003 05:59 PM

K & N Oil Filter

Buy a K & N Oil based filter. I hate cleaning it, but I think, it's worth it.

lee 07-31-2003 07:02 PM

Re: K & N Oil Filter

Quote:

Originally posted by awdsvx
Buy a K & N Oil based filter. I hate cleaning it, but I think, it's worth it.
For a novice, I disagree, the K&N requires application of a spray-on oil. Too much can be sucked off and coat the MAF sensor causing rough running, too little yields inadequate air flow cleaning/protection.

For my old car (Toyota MR2 turbo) the K&N definitely produced less power in several dyno tests when compared to the OEM paper rig (did not test Fram, etc). I do use a K&N on my motorcycle though, so I don't believe I'm overly biased. To my knowledge, no one on the SVX site has done a before & after test with anything more than "seat of the pants" test rigor.

phalg 08-01-2003 12:12 PM

novice

Excuse me for being a novice... Can you elaborate on what MAF stands for? And what is the difference between K&N and other kind of filter? Being a beginner, I'd like to go for the one thats easier and cheaper.

thanks for your responses.

Phal :)

Motorsport-SVX 08-02-2003 10:14 PM

for starters

MAF is for Mass Air Flow sensor, the round tube
with wires going to it bolted to the square box..
Std paper filter is just paper....
K&Ns are cotton gauze with slightly oil treated..
flows more air, traps more dirt.....and washable.
You can see more at K&Ns website.....

http://www.knfilters.com/

You can check out our online store for some other
options too....

Links below

Green1995SVX 08-03-2003 05:48 AM

Subaru recommends only using non-oiled filters on their cars because the oil can damage the MAF sensor.

Mike

Motorsport-SVX 08-03-2003 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Green1995SVX
Subaru recommends only using non-oiled filters on their cars because the oil can damage the MAF sensor.

Mike

Ive heard that about 1000 times.....While at SEMA a few yrs
ago I talked to a K&N rep in person about that......
they in a word "chuckled" and assured me their (or any filter like it) wouldnt be a problem.
Cleaning your MAF sensor is easy anyway if you want to..
Just remove it every 6 months if you want and carefully run
a gentle stream of warm water for a few minutes over the
wire inside. I dry mine off with a blow drier from about
a foot away with a mild stream of warm air, and re install it.
But I have never seen any cars have a real problem yet with any K&N style filter.

svxlatino 08-05-2003 01:45 PM

K&N

I have used K&N filter for over two year and never have a problem. But just a few month ago I changed it to the cone type filter in red color, it look good. I just had to do a few minor adjustments but I'm pretty happy with it. I'll post pictures soon.:cool:

SVX10 08-06-2003 05:34 AM

I lost my MAF while running an oil type filter. Not saying it was necessarily the oil's fault, buuuuut....