The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Another Window problem (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=60766)

VICSVX 10-21-2012 12:46 PM

Another Window problem

Both front windows worked fine then one day the passengers side won't go down. I checked to make sure the motor was good by by passing the switch with an extra car battery. It went down, then I switched polarity and it went up. I put the Window back down and hooked the swith up again. It went up but not down. With the Window up I push up on the switch and you can hear the motor work. I switched switches from the rear same thing. I did the same test on the passenger rear Window but it work opposite (down but not up)

is it the master switch?

Thanks

obtw I did do a search and I did make sure that the Window lock button was not activated. Lpl

VICSVX 10-22-2012 04:15 PM

Re: Another Window problem

Bump

anyone?

icingdeath88 10-22-2012 04:22 PM

Try opening up the master window switches and cleaning the contacts. It worked for one of mine that was acting weird. If you take apart the master window switch, hold it upside down while you do, otherwise little springs and stuff will fall out all over the place.

VICSVX 10-23-2012 07:59 PM

So I hold it upside down? Lol jow dono take it apart?

Thanks for the reply

SpecialFX 10-23-2012 08:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by icingdeath88 (Post 714359)
Try opening up the master window switches and cleaning the contacts. It worked for one of mine that was acting weird. If you take apart the master window switch, hold it upside down while you do, otherwise little springs and stuff will fall out all over the place.

I wish someone had told me that before I took mine apart a few months back! I managed to get the passenger window working again, but I never got the window lock button put back together right so now that doesn't work, lol

icingdeath88 10-24-2012 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpecialFX (Post 714473)
I wish someone had told me that before I took mine apart a few months back! I managed to get the passenger window working again, but I never got the window lock button put back together right so now that doesn't work, lol

Yea I found out the hard way too, luckily I was at a desk so the little tiny pieces didn't get away from me and I was able to figure out how to put them back in.

VICSVX 10-26-2012 04:38 PM

So I took my switch apart.... They contacts seem to be touching right on all 4 bu the Window stl only goes up. New switch?

icingdeath88 10-26-2012 05:49 PM

Clean the contacts, may not be making a good connection even though it's touching.

VICSVX 10-28-2012 02:44 PM

Thanks guys for you help and suggestions

I read about cleaning the contacts before I started this thread but am still curious on how the contacts get dirty enough to not conduct.... Just 20yrs of light dust?

Anyways to close the thread problem is solved

took apart the switch and made sure all contacts were touching at rest then I got contact cleaner for 8$ at parts store, sprayed all contacts lightly and bam like new.... So far lol

Rod. 10-28-2012 03:14 PM

Windows 8 just came out but am not sure how backwards compatible it'll be... ;-)

Sorry, couldn't resist. Thanks for posting your solution. I've got the same problem that needs fixing.