The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   General SVX Babble (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Best Brakes for the price? (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=22857)

MikeInd 11-23-2004 09:09 PM

Best Brakes for the price?

I need rotors, pads and want SS brake lines

Any suggestions?

BordeauxComet 11-23-2004 09:16 PM

I'd like to know also

those are the same things I'm going to have to replace by this summer.

SubaSteevo 11-23-2004 09:35 PM

For good cheap pads I recomend looking on ebay for a set of autospecialty semi-metallics, I picked mine up from seller allbrakes for about $25 shipped for the fronts. Ive only had them for about 5k miles, but I'm impressed for the price.

MikeInd 11-24-2004 10:02 PM

Brakes

Hey everyone... only two replies?

Does anyone even care to help?

Chiketkd 11-24-2004 11:20 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by BurgundyBeast
For good cheap pads I recomend looking on ebay for a set of autospecialty semi-metallics, I picked mine up from seller allbrakes for about $25 shipped for the fronts. Ive only had them for about 5k miles, but I'm impressed for the price.
I also got those Autospecialty front brake pads from allbrake on Ebay. Great price and they slow my car down extremely well... :)

-Chike

Andy 11-25-2004 12:53 AM

1 Attachment(s)
EBC greenstuff pads & rotors. Very nice, and no brake dust.

SilverSpear 11-25-2004 12:58 AM

get Brembos or Bradis... best in the market.

Andy 11-25-2004 03:36 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by SilverSpear
get Brembos or Bradis... best in the market.
EBC use Brembo blanks

SilverSpear 11-25-2004 04:13 AM

how come they say drilled rotors do not withstand heat and eventually break up? what about CFC machined rotors? and why this is not the case of Porsche's rotors for example? any comments?

lee 11-25-2004 05:17 AM

Porsche rotors were designed to have the holes - important that they be placed properly relative to the cooling fins, etc. I don't know for a fact, but I also suspect some heat/cold treatment is applied to relieve the stress from the hole. I doubt EBay drilled rotors are anything more than just chucked into a drill press/CNC machine and go. I do know the EBay slotted rotors are done that way - the set I bought still had machining ridges along the slots - they work fine - but it's a case of getting what you paid for.

to the original question...I think Dayle's prices for SS lines is quite reasonable.

Greenstuf pads are good for the agressive driver, if you're more sedate I'd look for the Akebono ceramics

SilverSpear 11-25-2004 07:20 AM

so setting the price aside, what are the best rotors?

ilsegretosvx 11-25-2004 02:18 PM

setting price aside you can go with a bigger brake setup which will run @1700 +- that will include usally 4 piston calipers and larger rotors. Dayle sells them and I know from working with Stop Tech that these brakes are sweet. But for now I have RaceConcepts slotted crossdrilled rotors and love them. My black SVX will getting the same treament with ss lines from Dayle

BordeauxComet 11-25-2004 09:31 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Andy
EBC greenstuff pads & rotors. Very nice, and no brake dust.
I've been thinking about getting those pads (if I can't afford the Endless ones). I've heard good things.

Do they actually make those rotors for the SVX? I remember looking and didn't see them listed. Got a link?
Thanks.

Andy 11-26-2004 12:40 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by BordeauxComet
I've been thinking about getting those pads (if I can't afford the Endless ones). I've heard good things.

Do they actually make those rotors for the SVX? I remember looking and didn't see them listed. Got a link?
Thanks.

http://www.ebcbrakes.com/

rotors are D731 front and D731 rear

Landshark 11-26-2004 08:38 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by lee
Porsche rotors were designed to have the holes - important that they be placed properly relative to the cooling fins, etc.
also, the holes in Porsche rotors are cast in during the manufacturing process, and then drilled out to the right diameter.

i love my ART cryo-treated slotted rotors - not the cheapest, but they still look new after a year and a half.

for pads, the AXXIS Ultimates work extremely well, but.......dust everywhere. i will be replacing them with Greenstuff, or the new Redstuff ceramics. i'll sacrifice some performance for MUCH less maintenance.