The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   General SVX Babble (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   WARNING: Mr Clean car wash (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=20244)

benebob 07-27-2004 12:17 PM

WARNING: Mr Clean car wash

Well I must disagree with everone who gave this crappy product such rave reviews. I washed the SVX 2 weeks ago with the thing (1st time it was used). Parked it back in the garage coverless for 2 days to dry. Covered it. Today I went to move it to do some rust repair on the XT and IT HAS MORE SPOTS THAN HAD I NOT DRIED IT AND PARKED IT IN 100 degree sunlight to dry. Maybe the red has something to do with it but really I'd stay away from the thing. Besides you can buy a damn good shammy for the price they want for the thing and the replacement filter and soap costs.

Not Spotless in PA.

SVXRide 07-27-2004 12:22 PM

Maybe it has something to do with that PA water you're using:D
-Bill

Rotorflyr 07-27-2004 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by SVXRide
Maybe it has something to do with that PA water you're using:D
-Bill

Don't know if you were kidding or not, but there is some truth in what you said, if you have extremly hard water, you are likely to get some spot's even if you filter it.

Green1995SVX 07-27-2004 12:25 PM

I also had a bad experiance with the mr clean auto dry car wash. I ended up with spots, and it took me about twice as long to wash the car with the mr clean than using the traditional method. I didnt like it at all.

Mike

Mr. Pockets 07-27-2004 12:28 PM

It just seemed like an awful lot of trouble to go through to avoid simply drying the stupid car.

I got the impression that the thing was definitely geared towards the average home user and not an enthusiast.

dcarrb 07-27-2004 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Mr. Pockets
It just seemed like an awful lot of trouble to go through to avoid simply drying the stupid car.
That's the name of the game in marketing, man: Convince the populace to buy something they don't really need. Another example of this is the proliferation of specialty motor oils.

dcb

GreenMarine 07-27-2004 01:18 PM

I haven't even used the trash yet and I'm not even thinking about wasting my money on it... If I wanna do something like that I'll just borrow my grandma's PUR water filter and put that on the end of the hose and wash the car like that. Drying the car by hand is so much better :)

benebob 07-27-2004 01:36 PM

Only reason I got it was b/c of the rave reviews it got here.:( Figured it would be good for the xt and brat but I wouldn't even use it on the neighbors metro. Oh yeah, it ain't the water. If it is the stupid filter is hardening it up as I don't get that many spots with normal washing.

SHISVX 07-27-2004 02:00 PM

when hand drying you can also get a good look at your car, new dents or what ever, nice things to brighten up your day :D

j/k

really, i catch a lot of spots i miss when drying

Kelli

Landshark 07-27-2004 03:38 PM

nuttin' beats a "California Water Blade" and the "Absorber" synthetic shammy for easy drying. :)

ensteele 07-27-2004 03:44 PM

I bought one too because of the rave reviews! No good for me. I don't like it either, it takes too long and the water comes out so slow, I thought I would have to celebrate my next birthday out there washing my car. Put the money into some means of drying the car - Calif Blade, absorber - etc. :(

lee 07-27-2004 03:55 PM

I'll come partially to Mr Clean's defense.

But first I have to admit I've never used it on my SVX. It's the Ebony mica color and I think most of us appreciate how tough it is to get a black finish looking decent.

Where it comes in handy is on my wife's 4Runner. Now maybe you're tall enough to clean the roof with your feet on the ground, but I'm not. Using the Mr Clean gizmo I only go up and down the step stool twice for each side (4 total). I used to go up for wash, for rinse, and to dry (12 total). On the silver metallic finish the system works. But then again the silvers are generally the easiest color to maintain. My daughter has also used it on her pearl white Lexus with good results. My son said it failed on his Aquamarine pearl MR2.

So maybe it's a color type thing.:confused:

Mr. Pockets 07-27-2004 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by ensteele
I don't like it either, it takes too long and the water comes out so slow, I thought I would have to celebrate my next birthday out there washing my car.
That's hardly fair to point at the product - you own seven of the freaking cars, after all. It takes me all weekend to wash and wax mine, so I can only guess how long it takes you to even decide which one to drive.

:D

Hocrest 07-27-2004 04:19 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Mr. Pockets

That's hardly fair to point at the product - you own seven of the freaking cars, after all. It takes me all weekend to wash and wax mine, so I can only guess how long it takes you to even decide which one to drive.

:D

:D :D :D

ensteele 07-27-2004 05:28 PM

:p :p :p :p

I was only trying to wash one at the time. I still don't like it! ;)