The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Time control module location. (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=37930)

nextse7en 03-14-2007 02:07 PM

Time control module location.

Hi there, I've been told its under the center console, but all I can find under there is the shift lock module, any ideas?

-Patrick

ensteele 03-14-2007 03:25 PM

When you say Time Control Module, are you meaning the clock, or that part of the alarm system? Please give us a little more informaton. :o

nextse7en 03-14-2007 04:23 PM

I've fixed the problem, turns out a blown clock fuse can make all of your interior lights go haywire in a hurry.

I was refering to the time control module that the interior lighting wiring diagram points to...

But, in the future, I think I will refer to the clock as the time control module. That way I will always be ready to rehearse as a star trek extra. lol.

SVXdc 03-14-2007 07:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ensteele
When you say Time Control Module, are you meaning the clock, or that part of the alarm system?

He meant the "TCU" (Time Control Unit) module. It's on the wiring diagram page titled "Time Control System." :p

The TCU handles just about everything inside the cabin that needs a timer -- courtesy lighting, wipers, rear defogger, and automatic shoulder belts. Plus it generates the variable brightness for the instrument panel lights.

PhatWeasel 06-10-2007 12:56 PM

"Time Control Unit"

My problem is not as easy as replacing a fuse. If I leave fuse 25 installed there is a 1.75 amp drain on that circuit that was killing my battery in just a matter of hours. I am trying to find all devices on that circuit and unplug them to find the source of the drain and I can't seem to find the TCU. My car is a 95 and to the best of my knowledge there is nothing behind the glovebox other than airbag. The module is not in the center console either. If it's under the dash, then I must be blind or stupid, as I can't find it. Can someone shed some light here?

Thanks

bwb3 06-10-2007 01:33 PM

For future reference, look behind the glovebox according to this thread.
http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=39279
Gene

Nomake Wan 06-10-2007 06:02 PM

Yup. Remove the top of the glovebox and it'll be staring you in the face, mounted on that black cross-bar. Pretty easy to see and remove.

And when it malfunctions, it can cause problems. And yes, the clock fuse blowing can make your interior lights stop working. Know that one from experience too. :rolleyes:

PhatWeasel 06-13-2007 10:32 AM

Problem solved.

Turns out it was the visor wires. The TCU search was a red herring. I'll explain, after I unplugged the visors to see if they were the problem, I left the door of the car open. Now when the door is open the interior lights are on and they draw, oh lets say...about 1.75 amps or so. So then I closed the door and went inside to search the forum for any other wiring diagrams that may shed light on this "mystery", found a couple I though I would need and went back outside. On a whim I put the meter over the poles of fuse 25 and noted that the current drain was all but gone.

Everything has been fine since Sunday.

Final note, I wish cars were designed like airplanes: every system, no matter how minor has it's own circuit breaker. This makes diagnosis a snap. Of course this would add 3000 to the price of the car and eat up more trunk space.

PhatWeasel 06-23-2007 02:01 AM

Follow up.

I left the car parked for three days while I was in Vegas, and she started right up! Freakin' visor wires. As an added bonus: working on the battery drain problem seemed to have solved my intermittant "turn the key and 'click' but no start" problem. Weird.