The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   General SVX Babble (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   New SVX Owner (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=40328)

Manarius 08-17-2007 08:44 PM

New SVX Owner

I just picked up Meangreen95's 1995 Polo Green LSi. It's a really sweet ride! I need to clean it out really well and it'll be ready to go.

ensteele 08-17-2007 09:09 PM

That is a nice car. Put some pictures up that show it after you get it claeaned up. Nice it could be kept by a member here. :) :)

Manarius 08-17-2007 10:00 PM

Already have a slight problem though - the key won't turn in the lock on the trunk. The opener will open the trunk and the key will open the doors and the ignition, but it won't open the trunk.

It's Just Eric 08-17-2007 10:04 PM

You lucky b***ard!
Congradulations...That car is quite nice. I was lucky enough to ride in it in person. you'll have to post some nice wash and wax pictures

P.S.-That drivers visor is NEW:D

Cynic 08-17-2007 10:08 PM

Isn't there one key called a valet key that will only let you in the car and to drive it, but won't open the trunk? You might have that one. There should be a master key that opens/starts everything.

Manarius 08-18-2007 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cynic
Isn't there one key called a valet key that will only let you in the car and to drive it, but won't open the trunk? You might have that one. There should be a master key that opens/starts everything.

Yeah, but the key isn't the valet key - it opens the glove compartment.

Here's some pics: http://gallery.discens.org/main.php?g2_itemId=241

ridered777 08-18-2007 12:10 PM

Perhaps the lock went bad and he got a replacment one. Then you'd need to have a new key cut for it, which, if he didn't do, or did but forgot to give you, you wouldn't be able to get in the trunk.

Just a thought. I've never heard of one with a problem in that direction, just the other one (latch won't relase trunk but key will). In those cases the cancel switch is generally the culprit.

svxistentialist 08-18-2007 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Manarius
I just picked up Meangreen95's 1995 Polo Green LSi. It's a really sweet ride! I need to clean it out really well and it'll be ready to go.

Jason

This is common enough, and is not a major problem.

What has happened, the lock has frozen or is stuck basically from all the muck that gets in there over the years. You know the amount of road grit and salt that gets fired up on the tailgate in winter. This happened my Black Betty, and I had to free up the trunk lock and the passenger lock as they both stuck.

What you do is get a can of penetrating oil, or WD 40 will do if you have that. Push the key nose barely into the lock. Squirt the oil past the key into the lock. Then push the key half way into the lock. Squirt the oil along the blade of the key so the key is plenty wet. Now push the key fully in, and wriggle it right and left. You will see it starting to make movement, getting more distance right and left. If it feels stiff, don't force the key. They are made from brass and will snap if too much pressure is exerted. Repeat the oil process, and wriggle the key some more. With patience it will free up.

Joe:banana:

crazyhorse 08-18-2007 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by svxistentialist
Jason

What has happened, the lock has frozen or is stuck basically from all the muck that gets in there over the years. You know the amount of road grit and salt that gets fired up on the tailgate in winter. This happened my Black Betty, and I had to free up the trunk lock and the passenger lock as they both stuck.

What you do is get a can of penetrating oil, or WD 40 will do if you have that. Push the key nose barely into the lock. Squirt the oil past the key into the lock. Then push the key half way into the lock. Squirt the oil along the blade of the key so the key is plenty wet. Now push the key fully in, and wriggle it right and left. You will see it starting to make movement, getting more distance right and left. If it feels stiff, don't force the key. They are made from brass and will snap if too much pressure is exerted. Repeat the oil process, and wriggle the key some more. With patience it will free up.

Just remember to add some graphite powder in behind the WD-40. Lube that lock right & it won't stick again. WD is great for freeing up frozen metal stuff. It's not a great lubricant, more like a dirt attractant.

Manarius 08-18-2007 03:28 PM

Thanks Joe - would Lithium grease be useful at all? I got some of that at Autozone today to help out my noisy doors and slow sunroof.

::EDIT:: WD-40 did the trick. The lock is unfrozen. Thanks again Joe.

shotking 08-18-2007 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by svxistentialist
Jason

I have the same problem myself, i never really put any effort into trying to figure it out. I'll give this a try.:)

svxistentialist 08-18-2007 04:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Manarius
Thanks Joe - would Lithium grease be useful at all? I got some of that at Autozone today to help out my noisy doors and slow sunroof.

::EDIT:: WD-40 did the trick. The lock is unfrozen. Thanks again Joe.

Good work Jason. It only needs keeping it freed up now. The trunk gets the least use of the key because most of us open it with the lever beside the driver seat. That's one of the reasons it sticks.

What crazy said is also correct. All that oil you put in there will attract a load of dust and dirt. Give the lock plenty of use with the key so it is really free. Let the WD 40 "dry" off or run off it for a few days. When you have it dried up well, use a puffer pack of graphite to get into the lock tumbler. That will keep it free and slippery without attracting dirt.

Lithium grease is too heavy. It is wonderful for sunroof runners and so on because you can access them to smear the grease. It is not suited for locks really, no penetration.

Joe

Sean486 08-18-2007 07:53 PM

Congratulations on the Polo. I'll keep an eye out for it on Rt 15.

Crazypolo95 08-18-2007 08:51 PM

i'm not from up there but is it always cool too see an other polo green in 95. like my.

msvx95 08-20-2007 05:20 AM

Congrats on the purchase....It's about time you bought one since you've been a member for awhile..... :rolleyes: :D
Enjoy it Jason!!