The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Cyclic clicking noise: front axel or what? (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=63273)

Brian 01-27-2015 09:33 AM

Cyclic clicking noise: front axel or what?

So I'm getting this clicking or tapping sound coming from the front of the car, probably the passenger side. It's cyclic and starts out slow when I'm starting from a stop, and by the time I reach 20 MPH it's fast and steady: click-click-click-click... (It remains as I go faster and is pretty loud.) But when I take my foot off the gas, it goes away. The only time I hear it when not giving it gas is when the car is very slow when coming to a stop, and of course it is a slow noise then. Does this indicate the half shaft axel on that side has gone bad? If not, what is it?

dannmarr 01-27-2015 10:03 AM

Re: Cyclic clicking noise: front axel or what?

Could be a cracked flex plate.

Brian 01-27-2015 01:21 PM

That had occurred to me, but the sound does seem tied to wheel speed...and there's nothing while idling or when the car's moving at speed without giving it gas. Does that make a difference?

fasteract7 01-27-2015 03:13 PM

Might be the inner passenger side CV..symptoms more like this side of half axle than the outer CV. Jack the car up and manually spin that rim. Grab the half axle and push it in and out and see if it clicks or has excessive play. If nothing, jack up front, block rear tires, parking brake secure,pull FWD fuse and gently accelerate front wheels to listen for your noise.

gearheadE30 01-28-2015 08:55 AM

OP, your diagnosis is right on the money. The reason the noise comes back at very low speeds is because as you approach a stop, the brakes and engine start to fight each other. It is this characteristic that results in the car creeping forward when you lift your foot off the brake. If you were to put the car into neutral before coming to a stop, my guess is that the noise would disappear. CVs tend to click when they dry out and wear over time, as the balls that transfer power will wear grooves and elongate the slots they ride in. Generally the problem is created or exacerbated by a torn boot, either on the inner or the outer CV.

Brian 01-28-2015 09:23 PM

Thanks, guys! Yes, when breaking in neutral it does go away. It will be a few days until my new part arrives. The sound became worse on my way home today. I still have to get to work on the day after tomorrow. Is it safe to drive on?

92snowmachine 01-29-2015 09:21 AM

you will most likely be fine. they rarely actually break. i would keep to lower speeds and accelerate softly to help prolong it's life.

dannmarr 01-29-2015 09:24 AM

Brian, put the car in park and rev the engine slowly. This should determine if the sound is from the engine or from the tires/shaft/cv,etc. I hope you visually and physically checked the problem and confirmed it before ordering parts. Good luck!

Brian 01-30-2015 09:45 AM

There was no noise when I tried revving in park. I had the RPM's up over 4000.

Since the sound got louder just before getting home the other day, I had it on the road for the first time again on my way to work today. Now I can hear it when not giving it gas and even when the car is in motion in neutral. Not as loud as when giving it gas, but still there. At least my part's due to arrive today.

Brian 02-01-2015 11:59 AM

Good advice, Dan, but I'd ordered the half shaft before your post. It turned out to be the front differential, broken teeth. I'll be taking it to Tom to have another transmission put it. I didn't search my old posts thoroughly enough. My symptoms were pretty much the same the last time. No wonder they were so familiar. :rolleyes: I just had one of my other former issues in mind!

michael 02-01-2015 06:10 PM

I was reading this thread thinking that's what it was, mine had the same symptoms. If you kept driving it you would end up hearing some god awful sounds :eek: Hope the repair isn't to costly :(

Brian 02-02-2015 10:10 AM

Yep, I definitely did! The last time, I had it diagnosed earlier, and the deterioration was slower, so I was able to drive it to it Tom's before such terrible noise started. Thanks, Michael, but it's never going to be cheap. It would be a lot more expensive anyplace else, though, and I can always trust Tom's custom work. It's probably no more expensive than if I had it done right away. It really figures I'd need a major repair just after returning from a year studying abroad and not working!